Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default vx1n governor wont switch between flight modes

Hi guys,

I am trying to setup my first nitro on the VX1n with a jr 921x receiver and a JR 11x transmitter and I cannot get the governor to switch between fight modes. The governor is stuck in N and will not switch to 1, 2 or H. The governor kicks in at 25% throttle like its supposed to and maintains the correct head speed for Normal mode but it wont switch to any other modes. The flight modes do switch as I can go to 1 and 2 and H its just that the governor wont switch. What am I doing wrong?
lwnemesis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's usually down to one of two things. First, double check that your governor settings for gearing, pole count, magnets, etc are definitely correct. Magnets on nitro models catch nearly everybody out as while there are two in the fan, only one is actually active.

The other thing is that the governor only engages when your headspeed is within 25% of your target rpm. Check that the throttle curves you have set are getting your headspeed high enough. Smartphone audio tach apps are a great way to check your headspeed.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You misunderstood my question. I don't have a problem getting the governor to run. I have a problem with the governor not switching RPMs in different flight modes. I have it setup at 1500 Normal, 1800 IdleUp1, 1900 IdleUp2. The governor stays in Normal no matter which flight mode I am in.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, I understand. The governor is tied to the flight modes, so if the Vortex is switching modes as you say, then the governor will be too.

And that means that if the governor is running, something else is preventing it reaching the headspeeds you have set in your other flight modes.

What headspeeds do you have set for Normal, IU1 and IU2? And what throttle curves do you have set in each mode?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, can I just check something. I had assumed you were talking about the governor in the Vortex. Is that what you mean, or are you running an external governor?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am taking about the vortex. I have V curves setup in IU 1 and IU2.

When I setup the vortex I told it to not use flight modes. I wonder if that is why it's not working but when I use the switches on the radio everything behaves like it is supposed to. When hit heading hold, it works. When I hit IU1 and IU2 it also works. Just getting the same head speed and the data pod always shows 1500 Normal.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you told the Vortex not to use flight modes that would definitely do it. If the DataPod always shows Normal, that means the Vortex is never switching out of that flight mode.

You'll need to go back to the transmitter settings in the Vortex and configure it to switch flight modes. Once you do that you should see the modes switching on the DataPod. There's a flight modes FAQ on the Spartan website which might be useful:

Flight modes FAQ (includes video)
http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...38&category=28

Flight modes on JR X9303
Spartan Vortex VX1 - Flight Mode setup w/ JR X9303 transmitter (12 min 49 sec)
Old 09-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is what I did. Assigned values to Gyro Sensitivity to correspond to flight mode changes on the vortex. Assigned Fmode on the Jr 11x to switch them. Now I have Normal, IU1 and IU2. Could not figure out how to program a mix on the radio to get the Vortex to Hold mode so I decided to leave it in Normal. Since the governor only kicks in at 25% throttle and my Hold mode on the radio kills the throttle to 12%, the governor can't kick in so hold works.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to update the thread. I finally figured it out how to get the 11x to switch between all the flight modes. The procedure is almost the same as the setup for the 9303. Basically using the governor function.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also having this problem but with the flight modes enabled.
I'm hearing no different engine sounds as I go through the flight modes. I have the gov on in flight modes iu1 and iu2 and not normal.
Tx and vx1n both are synced as when I hit the switches it changes on the datapod gov on in iu1 and iu2 but no noticeable difference in engine sounds between modes. This is on a SAB 700 nitro running a 0s105 at 1800 iu1 1900 iu2.
One question about the magnets. I have two in fan but check only one on the datapod correct? Or do I check 2 on the datapod. Since only one is active I check 2 or 1 on datapod?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only one magnet should be sensing, as you rotate the fan shroud how many times does the GOV symbol flash on the DataPod? It should just be once.

Can you check your rpm using a smartphone audio tach, it would be good to confirm its in the expected range. It could be that your governor isn't actually engaged.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got a chance to tach my BT700n and in all flight modes it maxed out around 1720 in n..iu1..iu2. Could my tune be that bad as to not get peak engine performance.
I have v-curves in iu1 and iu2 as follows 100.90.60.90.100...iu2-100.95.65.95.100. No change in engine sounds as I flip through the flight modes....also datapod shows only one gov as I spin fan so I know my magnets are in properly.
What am I doing wrong??
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would first check the rpm range you're able to reach with your motor. Have you checked that the throttle servo is set to the full range of travel?

One thing that's easily missed is that you have to set that travel range via the vortex, not your radio. Once you enable the governor, it's the vortex throttle endpoints that are key. Go through the setup-throttle settings and ensure the endpoints are set here for full servo travel.

Next i would change the governed headspeeds so you can check it's changing between flight modes. To check this ensure you have the same throttle curve on IU1 and IU2, you want the governor to be the only thing that changes. You're at 1700 now, so set IU1 at 1600, and IU2 at 1700. If the governor is engaging you should hear it speed up as it goes into IU2.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok went to the field today and did as you suggested no change in engine sounds in any flight mode n.. iu1..iu2. So is it possible my gov isn't engaging? If so what to check....my wires are all good..no frays in wires or anything..good solid connections throughout.
Ill take off the pipe and check the ring but compression is good based on manually turning the fan!
Throttle travel is up to par also I get full travel throughout based on bench testing. I have absolutely no idea what the issue is?
The rpm range is within acceptable limits as its an os105hz. Should be able to get at least 2000 headspeed.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the vortex definitely switching flight modes?

Do you have the same throttle curve in all three flight modes?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes its switching according to datapod..corresponds to when I hit iu1 and iu2..
No..my normal curve is linear... iu1 iu2 are the same though.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't make sense to have no change in sound from normal to the others, not unless you were lucky enough to have your throttle position matching exactly.

Do you have full control over the engine in normal mode?

On the bench if you have your throttle stick low you should see the throttle servo jump to the new position as you switch from normal to IU1.

Have you tried downloading a smartphone headspeed tach app? They're a great way to verify the headspeed you're getting in the air.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I have full control......throttle moves on bench in all modes,

Maybe my setup is wrong or something think ill do a factory reset?
In setup on tx I still have to calibrate my throttle to vortex to make sure I have full travel. Ill check my live tx. It was tached with the" Magic Mirror" doohickey.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shouldn't need a factory reset, but lets check the basics. If you see the throttle servo move on the bench then there must be a headspeed change in the air if the governor is disabled.

Can you check that you have the governor active in the Setup -> Throttle menu.

And then ensure it's disabled in each flight mode via the Gov -> Governor On/Off setting.

That will ensure your throttle channel is configured for the Vortex governor, but it's disabled. You should see your throttle servo change position as you switch from Normal to IU1, and if it does that you should be able to measure a difference in headspeed from Normal to IU1.

If you don't see any difference in headspeed, increase your throttle curve on your radio for IU1.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the flight modes (in the Vortex) change then the RPM will change, there no other settings etc that can prevent it. With this in mind I wonder of the governor is working in the first place. If the sensor is not reading reliably the gov may have not engaged at all.

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in