Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Max pitch on 7HV?

hello
the manual say 12°
what impact with more? 12.5 or 13°?
stephane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

More pitch=more pop and more motor bogging. Need more headspeed as well to cope with the extra pitch. Personally I never need more than 12 on any heli that I have.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk HD
chucky21022002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never run more than 12 degrees, either, but some like to run more.

I usually set any machine up, so that at full collective on a long climb out, I get the target RPM I want. If it bogs I take a bit of pitch out until it just doesn't. If it speeds up in a long climb out, then I actually add a bit of collective which brings the RPM down

After all that, I set the throttle curves to maintain constant RPM.

Setting it up that way, it never bogs.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running 13 deg with 1950 and 2100, 13 brings the heli alive.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+-13.0 is the sweet spot for me. Saw a nasty 7HV boom strike when set at +-13.5 and 110 agility in vbar. Less than 13 gives you more precision in your collective at the expense of less total thrust and slower perceived response to stick movements. Ultimately, its whatever feels best to you of course.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've run up to 14* at lower head speeds, 13 usually
Going to setup one bank for speed runs and try 15 maybe 16 degrees. Forward flight should have little-no chance of boom strike.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed. The boom strike I was referring to was combined VERY aggressive cyclic and collective changes... stick banging

I've thought about setting higher pitch in a bank as well. Let us know how she does with +18 and FFFFFlight!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Will do Jay.
Currently only have 693 but I still think it's gonna rip.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
Agreed. The boom strike I was referring to was combined VERY aggressive cyclic and collective changes... stick banging

I've thought about setting higher pitch in a bank as well. Let us know how she does with +18 and FFFFFlight!
I used to run 13 as well, i dont think its your high pitch causing the boom strike as even during very agressive cyclic, chances you are full pitch is remote, boomstrike is common to occur when motor bogs due to overload, blades then lag behind grip and this cause the blade to fold back hitting the boom, check that on the bench, its almost impossible for the blades to hit the boom when in line with grips except if your dampers are totally shot and wood or plastic blades perhaps, if you fold them slightly however you will see how easy it can happen. In a sense you can say higher pitch will overload the motor more which can cause bogging or stalling in return make it possible. Good gov, blades not too loose and strong motor and lipos high pitch wont be a problem.
Saying that my preference for high pitch is for speedflying as well as the feel around midstick doing 3d, i dont think i ever go full pitch during 3d, but off course i run very powerful setups which does make a difference though. Somewhere i read Nik Maxwell flies only 10 or 11 deg pitch, dunno how true
Btw extreme pitch wont help you in fff as the load will be too high, you get to a point where only aerodynamics improve speed.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

13 here
Fly it like you stole it
Money does bring happiness, never seen a sad person on a jet ski
redsoper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok thanks for repons
actually i never bogging motor with 12° (YGE )
this week I test 13°
Love 7HV
Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very good points Stolla.
The boom strike in question was on a very powerful setup (Xera 4530-500) with no bogging at all. I would bet the blades were very tight as well.I think that a bigger contributor to that was the tail boom clamp slipping under that beating (pretty hard to prove after the boom strike though).

I don't think there was any tape between the boom and clamp at that time. My experience is that without the correct tape in this location the clamp WILL move regardless of how tight you tighten it.BTW, electrical tape sounds good... don't use it; It will slip. Clear packing tape works good.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[QUOTE=Stolla;5191169
Btw extreme pitch wont help you in fff as the load will be too high, you get to a point where only aerodynamics improve speed.[/QUOTE]

So Stolla what do you run in a speed setup for pitch?
I thought most guy's were 15+ degrees.
I realize Aero is a big contributor and 7Hv is really lacking there but this is just for fun and not to compete.

Figure I have one more bank (3) I never use (0,1&2 on my flight mode switch) I may as well do something with it.
Going to lower Tail Gain a bunch, raise Collective Pitch and tweak gains and expo to suit for speed runs.
Then when I want to access this Bank just do so with the Laptop at the field and let her rip.

My P750 with current tired packs is going to bog but I will try to tune pitch to limit this.
When I grab a 14S pack surely will improve some on power.

Would I be better off running a higher head speed (~2300) and normal 13/14 degrees or lower (~2000) and higher 15/16 degrees pitch?
Guess I'll find out with Kosmik Logs anyway but any tips for a good starting point is nice.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
Very good points Stolla.
The boom strike in question was on a very powerful setup (Xera 4530-500) with no bogging at all. I would bet the blades were very tight as well.I think that a bigger contributor to that was the tail boom clamp slipping under that beating (pretty hard to prove after the boom strike though).

I don't think there was any tape between the boom and clamp at that time. My experience is that without the correct tape in this location the clamp WILL move regardless of how tight you tighten it.BTW, electrical tape sounds good... don't use it; It will slip. Clear packing tape works good.
Off course difficult to say but keep in mind even a very strong motor can and will bog if not enough headroom in gov, logging will show if thats the case, sounds like you had other problems though
Gimpy i think 15 about as high you can go on a non fused setup with level speed flying if you have a very strong motor and at least 14 s i'm at 14,5 on banshee and 14 s, from a dive you can go higher but will loose speed when levelling out bigtime. I found on tdr 12 s and rewind 4530 even at 14 deg it cannot hold headspeed on 713 blades. thats why sometimes shorter blades work better, its a lot of testing and logging though, with speed you dont care about hitting 100% pwm no governing needed so its all about headspeed decay under load, too high pitch and the lipos overload bigtime, hopefully esc can handle the load but as they say a chain is only as strong as the weakest link so never rush a speed setup
I would recommend you start at 2200 13 degrees and watch the logs, increase your last point on thr curve to 100% so you know you are full taps on the speed flightmode, the log will show if it can hold that speed which i doubt, my guess is you will be happy with performance but watch the lipos
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nick is flying he's raptor 700e with 16 deg. So yea pros with 10-11 deg is a hoax.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

a good pilot never puts the sticks in the extremes when it's not needed.
You only use maximum deflection when it's possible and when it's timed correctly.
A big difference when Nick sets up 16, or a average pilot with a lot less finesse and control.
it's how you make use of it.
when you don't have that skill, stick to 12 or lower.
you will bog, you will destroy your lipo packs or speedcontroller.

And always make sure the servos don't bind in the extremes. (cyclic ring)
They pretty easily hit the servo casing on the 7HV when you go further than 12 degr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in