Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default belt slippage

I have a stretched mini protos, FBL, min vbar on 6s battery and 1300KV motor. I took out today and the first 2 flights were awsome, on the 3rd one I suddenly lost head speed while inverted and was able to turn it back upright and land safely without damage. Upon inspection I noticed the belt has slipped upward towards the 3rd bearing and outside the belt bulley. Is this a sign of loose belt tension to start with or is it my 14 tooth pinion? In the past I was able to split the pinion in half but not this time, the pinion seems fine. I have been having bad luck with my mini protos and never able to complete 4-5 flights without an incident related to either the pinion or belt slippage. I have 2 500 size protos stretch that never experienced with them any failures in over than 100 flights. Something I am not getting right with the mini. I appreciate any advise.
abanihani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I found the culprit, I found the front belt bulley eaten up! I replaced it with an aluminum upgrade I already have, will see how that works.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abanihani View Post
I think I found the culprit, I found the front belt bulley eaten up! I replaced it with an aluminum upgrade I already have, will see how that works.
Yeah, I was wondering how you could get the belt to slip up with all the pulleys in place, did you check all the others as well?

I have the belt on mine pretty loose (would be far too loose on any of my other helis) and the belt cannot be pushed up over any gear by hand, so its not slipping up or down in flight.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I guess that was the reason, all the others are okay, I may had the front one under alot of tension and with the heat it just got melted slowly until it gave away, luckily no damage, I upgraded all four bulleys into aluminum now.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same issue with that pulley. Now I mounted the alu one.
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abanihani View Post
I guess that was the reason, all the others are okay, I may had the front one under alot of tension and with the heat it just got melted slowly until it gave away, luckily no damage, I upgraded all four bulleys into aluminum now.
Did you find the reason why the pulley has melted away? It doesn't melt just like that. There must be a lot of extra friction (the pulley binds to the frame or the bearing is damaged).

I had a similar issue in my Protos 500. One of the pulleys melted away. When I studied it closer I noticed that it hardly turned at all because it was binding to the tail box.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, pulley in the tail should not tighten too much. I was able to consume it til the bearing was visible!

The one on the front is kept by a pin, but the holes to screw it to the frame allow for some play. After mounting the new one make sure the belt is well seated by spooling up then see if the pulley position needs to be adjusted.
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in