Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Radio system on/off switch for nitro

Hi,

I have a nitro heli that's a few years old, with Fromeco AZ regulator and 2 cell LiFe battery.

The regulator was from the days before HV servos etc,
Anyway, my servos are rated to 6V nominally and I now have retired my old 4.8V 9254 tail servo and have HV one on. I never removed the regulator even though I could have, because it has a pin flag switch and I was too lazy to change things out.

My pin flag switch is the kind that I just zip tied to the frame. Well, it's failing, so now is the time to redo stuff. My plan is to remove the Arizona regular because I don't think I'll need it now.

What switch, if any are you using between the battery (in my case a LiFe batter with dean connectors AND servo type connectors) and the receiver? I liked having the pin flag switch on the frame because I could turn it off quickly in case of a crash--i.e to avoid servo bind/stall due to damage. Is there a reasonable cost switch that I can use? I don't want to custom mount anything--to much work, LOL, just keeping it simple. The stock frame placement for a regular old-fashioned switch is inaccessible under the canopy so that's out.

Thanks for suggestions!

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running 2s Lipo, unregulated with 4 JR8915HV and 1 Futaba BLS256HV servos through a Fromeco Badger. I chose the single Deans in and 2 JR out option. I haven't had an issue with it. You will have to drill 2 holes to mount the switch on your frames, and I also had to make some taller standoffs to keep the back of the switch PCB from shorting out against the frame, your install might differ a bit though.

http://www.fromeco.org/Products/04FRCBADSW-420s/
whoodie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't use a switch on my T-Rex 600 or 700 nitros. I just plug and unplug the battery using TC3 connectors. That way there is no switch that can fail and cause a crash.
Nitro Bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at perfect regulators.com they'll have a soft switch for you . You can use a bind plug with a flag on it to turn on or there is also a micro switch built in . Its half the size of a match box and if anything fails it stays on . Can use 2s lipo for HV servos or use your life battery no problems.
Raptor 50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im trying out an EC3 arm plug on my new build, but for a good inexpensive switch I like the HD JR's. The Chargeswitch is nice because all three leads are wired to the charging plug so you can rig it as a balancing charge port for LiFe.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...switch-JRPA004

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-gold-JRPA001
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
I'm running 2s Lipo, unregulated with 4 JR8915HV and 1 Futaba BLS256HV servos through a Fromeco Badger. I chose the single Deans in and 2 JR out option. I haven't had an issue with it. You will have to drill 2 holes to mount the switch on your frames, and I also had to make some taller standoffs to keep the back of the switch PCB from shorting out against the frame, your install might differ a bit though.

http://www.fromeco.org/Products/04FRCBADSW-420s/
This is what I use. Very high quality switch that has some nice design considerations for our RC vehicles.

It takes some work to mount, but I've been very pleased with mine.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using one of these now.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-plug-JRP04507
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Bird View Post
I don't use a switch on my T-Rex 600 or 700 nitros. I just plug and unplug the battery using TC3 connectors. That way there is no switch that can fail and cause a crash.
I as well am not using a switch. I just see it as an extra failure mode that is unnecessary, I use ec3 plugs. Pretty simple plug the battery in, put the canopy on and fly. No worries.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

For those that just plug them in, do you just have an adaptor from the EC3 to two servo wires in parallel that go into the receiver/FBL unit?

My LiFe battery has a Deans connector on it now, so I'd use that rather than re-solder that end.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Radio system on/off switch for nitro

Thanks for the input guys! I went with Deans to two servo type leads and just plug it in directly. I'm using aux3 and the bind/data channels both for power. Simple, now I have just the battery and governor on my radio tray.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in