Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Being warned on the sk540

I was planning to go with the sk540 on my first flybarless heli. I am completely new to flybarless. I was warned by a few local people that I would be on my own setting it up. No one is running Skookum. Pretty much all beastx. I am curious if it is really going to be that hard setting it up. I have did my research and I had decided on the sk540 over the other flybarless controllers.
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Watch the videos on the skookum website or their youtube channel. I've setup many a beastx. The 540 looks easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The software has a automated guide for you, step by step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heraldo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, that is good to know. I dont wanna be stuck and everyone saying I told you so! Does the governor function work well on the sk540? Also does the align sensor work well with the governor on nitro?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I setup the 540 as fbl newb. It's not that hard. Just chime in here for some help if needed. The locals will still be able to assist in part as some features although not the same are similar. The gov does work well, not sure a about the align, someone will know. I use a spectrum backplate sensor without issue. Luck.
dee cee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are a piece if cake to setup and fly great the gov works quite well but skookum are working on a update for it so take the plunge and get 1 :beer::beer:

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
van-man-123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Align sensor works fine - but you have to splice in a regular servo connector instead of the mini-plug the Align senor uses.
And, if you imagine the white / red / black wires on the senor splicing to the 1 (signal), 2 (power) and 3 (gnd) pins on the servo plug, you have to swap black & red.
I used the Futaba GV-1 sensor - which is a perfect fit to the Skookum - until I broke it. A new Futaba sensor was $40, the Align was $10 and bolts to the Futaba mounting stalk.

BTW, I think the gov port is only available if you use the Futaba SBus or the Spektrum / JR DSMX / DSM2 satellites. If you use a standard external receiver, I think it has to use the port that would be assigned to the gov input.

FYI: I was also the first in my area to use the SK540. It was my 2nd FBL controller after a Align 3GX.
Everyone said "Get VBar if you want help from us. Anything else, and you are on your own".
While the SK540 is a bit of a learning curve, the default values for gain and rates worked fine. If you are using it on a eCCPM swash, the Wizards will do a great job walking you through it.

I would highly recommend the LCD Field terminal ($75) - not required, but highly recommended. Otherwise you are hauling the laptop to the field every time you want to make a change. The LCD terminal accesses about 90% of the SK540 functions. But, once you setup the SK540 on the bench, the LCD terminal gets you 100% of everything you need in the field.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My first FBL controller is sk720. It took me some time to get use to all the terms and concepts in FBL world. But there was nothing hard about it. I'm sure you'll get it all by yourself, just by following the setup wizard and looking at some tutorial videos online.

Now I have tried 4 different brand of FBL controllers (Skookum, HeliCommand, BeastX and Tarot ZYX). The price range is from $50 to $500. I have to say the their setup process are intrinsically similar, because after all they are all doing same/similar thing.

And among those FBL controllers, Skookum is by far the the easiest one to setup in my opinion, thanks for the well organized setup wizard and setup UI.
chenlixyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am thinking of a SK 540 myself for my first flybarless. I don't follow the crowd.
I figure if I cannot set it up on my own then I should not be flying helicopters.
iKON DX9
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input. Based on all the comments I will certainly go with the sk540. Thanks for the details on using the align sensor. I will be using this on the gaui nx4 and it seems several are using the align sensor. So basically just swap the red and black when using a servo connector.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I am thinking of a SK 540 myself for my first flybarless. I don't follow the crowd.
I figure if I cannot set it up on my own then I should not be flying helicopters.
Yes I am the same way. I am thinking everybody will love my sk540 and get rid of their beast! Seems like there is great support hear on skookrum.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heaps easier than beast x if you use a pc..... And just works well with no tweaking..... Works out of the box beast x I found took alot of fiddling and i still couldn't get it flying nice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ask your granny to do the sk540 setup - she will not have any difficulty. With the build in wizard I don`t see that anyone could have a problem with the setup and I think here are a few nice people on this thread that can help you out IF you struggle. Also did numerous 3gx and beastx setups - skookum is by far the easiest.
Bking1340 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Ask your granny to do the sk540 setup - she will not have any difficulty. With the build in wizard I don`t see that anyone could have a problem with the setup and I think here are a few nice people on this thread that can help you out IF you struggle. Also did numerous 3gx and beastx setups - skookum is by far the easiest.
I agree Skookum is by far the easiest.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both 720 And 540 on my whiplash and align550, and both were setup in a breeze. The walk through wizard, as well as the menus, are very intuitive and straight forward to use.
Note, however, that support from friends in the field is always good, and many time for novice people I would recommend getting equipment for which they can get help in the field. Having said that, if you know your way with helicopters, not necessarily fbl, or if you can simply read English, don't worry about it. These systems are smooth.
Avi_Y is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's so easy a caveman can do it. LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Top gear. Buy...set up...fly!
Compass 7HV mit einem Vbar Silverline...schnell!
jazzboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

=] a pioneer at the field! so they follow suit and are asking for Your support!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was the SK pioneer in my local group. Most of the guys used beastx (which I still can't stand) and there were a handful of vbars here and there.
On a whim I bought an sk540, and so far have converted 3 beastx users to 540's.
Working on the vbar users now.

Even though the sk is just a slight bit better, I think if my buddies already have a vbar, they are comparable enough. The SK feels just that tiny bit better, and does hold the tail better, but they are very similar. I feel bad for the price tag any vbar users spent though.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in