Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why is the AR set by a number (time in seconds)? If you have it set for 30s and land in 20s...when you flip out of TH it will spool up fast and most likely lead to damage.
For me (practiced a lot of auto's on a cord with Todd B) but alone very few. I want to start doing them more often. I'm just not sure what it should be set to

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Why is the AR set by a number (time in seconds)? If you have it set for 30s and land in 20s...when you flip out of TH it will spool up fast and most likely lead to damage.
For me (practiced a lot of auto's on a cord with Todd B) but alone very few. I want to start doing them more often. I'm just not sure what it should be set to
The safest thing to do is to set the number based on how you do your autos. If you do them high it would be safest to go a few seconds above the time it takes you to land.
The AR time should definitely have a sequence to deactivate it and I will double check that there isn't one already.
But I'm sure someone in the HW forum will have more experience and may even have a way to reset it.
I don't really do autos so mine isn't even set. Too much rush for too little reward IMHO

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

When using gov store do you plug the single wire into the vbar rxa or leave it unplugged ?
cool cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When calibrating the throttle on the V4 you only have to leave the throttle in High for 2 seconds or it will go into stick programming
Can you 'stick program' the "V4" ESC? No mention of it in the manual.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Can you 'stick program' the "V4" ESC? No mention of it in the manual.
No you can't...
JR XG14 PL8 v2
mverhorst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post
When using gov store do you plug the single wire into the vbar rxa or leave it unplugged ?

Leave it unplugged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!!
cool cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HobbyWing programming box I ordered Thursday has not even shipped yet, so it looks like I'll be doing the maiden flight on my new Trex 550X in ELF mode.

So, after the 15 seconds on the ground after the gov standardizes in ELF mode (with my 50% throttle and 50% pitch), I'm guessing I can flip the throttle hold to stop the motor, then go back to my "normal" mode. Then undo throttle hold with my throttle stick down and do a takeoff in normal mode. Is that correct? Or do I have to somehow take off and land in IU?

So, after it standardizes and I shut the motor off with throttle hold, what happens next? Will normal mode throttle response (zero to whatever) work? Or will the motor only start up when I reach 40% on my normal mode throttle curve???

It is easy to post "don't use ELF" mode, but when the ESC comes shipped in ELF mode with now way to change it, one would think there would be a good example of how to take off and land in that mode.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The HobbyWing programming box I ordered Thursday has not even shipped yet, so it looks like I'll be doing the maiden flight on my new Trex 550X in ELF mode.

So, after the 15 seconds on the ground after the gov standardizes in ELF mode (with my 50% throttle and 50% pitch), I'm guessing I can flip the throttle hold to stop the motor, then go back to my "normal" mode. Then undo throttle hold with my throttle stick down and do a takeoff in normal mode. Is that correct? Or do I have to somehow take off and land in IU?

So, after it standardizes and I shut the motor off with throttle hold, what happens next? Will normal mode throttle response (zero to whatever) work? Or will the motor only start up when I reach 40% on my normal mode throttle curve???

It is easy to post "don't use ELF" mode, but when the ESC comes shipped in ELF mode with now way to change it, one would think there would be a good example of how to take off and land in that mode.

The easiest way to do what you're trying to do is this.
Make your IU1 throttle curve 50% and if you can, make the pitch curve for that bank zero.
Make your normal mode normal (it won't spoil up below 40% throttle) and your IU2 whatever flat curve you think you'll need for the HS you're wanting.

If you can't make a your IU1 with a flat zero pitch curve, just set your stick mid (use monitor mode on your TX to see it) and standardize the rpms from there. Hit TH and you can start off in normal as many times as you want till you disconnect the flight battery.

There may in fact be an easier way but I would do it this way if it were me lol
Old 11-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks for your response. I think I can figure out how to program the radio, but the question is how to take-off and land in ELF mode.
Realize I'm only flying helicopters since June. I'm apprehensive about how to take off and land when I do the maiden flight on this thing [550X].

It seems as if I want to land in normal mode, as soon as the throttle goes below 40% it will autorotate down. That is a little scary as I have never done an auto-landing. Especially while doing a maiden flight on a $1000 helicopter. There will be no warning when I get close to 40% either.

For example, as I feather the throttle up and down for a windy landing, if I accidentally get below 40% the heli drops to the ground without warning. {maybe?? as there is no indication of what the "Auto Restart Time" is in default; anywhere from zero to 90 seconds. So it could be zero, yes?}

So, it seems I would need to land in the IU mode. I guess as soon as I touch down I'd hit throttle hold.

In terms of the take-off, normal may not be such a good idea either. On takeoff if it launches into the air too quickly, my response is to pull down on the throttle. This will cut it off and it won't restart forcing an unexpected auto.

So, to take-off , I could do the initialization, hit throttle hold, switch to another IU for flying, pitch stick to middle, then undo throttle hold and it will spool up. As it spools up slowly I can take off before it hits full speed. Yes? It is ok to start flying before it is at full speed?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found the answer to one question in the HobbyWing v4 manual that I missed. It indicates the Auto Restart Time default is 25 seconds not zero.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, thanks for your response. I think I can figure out how to program the radio, but the question is how to take-off and land in ELF mode.
Realize I'm only flying helicopters since June. I'm apprehensive about how to take off and land when I do the maiden flight on this thing [550X].

It seems as if I want to land in normal mode, as soon as the throttle goes below 40% it will autorotate down. That is a little scary as I have never done an auto-landing. Especially while doing a maiden flight on a $1000 helicopter. There will be no warning when I get close to 40% either.

For example, as I feather the throttle up and down for a windy landing, if I accidentally get below 40% the heli drops to the ground without warning. {maybe?? as there is no indication of what the "Auto Restart Time" is in default; anywhere from zero to 90 seconds. So it could be zero, yes?}

So, it seems I would need to land in the IU mode. I guess as soon as I touch down I'd hit throttle hold.

In terms of the take-off, normal may not be such a good idea either. On takeoff if it launches into the air too quickly, my response is to pull down on the throttle. This will cut it off and it won't restart forcing an unexpected auto.

So, to take-off , I could do the initialization, hit throttle hold, switch to another IU for flying, pitch stick to middle, then undo throttle hold and it will spool up. As it spools up slowly I can take off before it hits full speed. Yes? It is ok to start flying before it is at full speed?

A few things here. If you have a smaller heli (450 class) practice short autos with it. Like no higher than 3 feet. This will help you get used to hitting TH while in the air without the intimidation factor.

You can take off before the throttle reaches full BUT taking off too early will make the tail kick out and difficult to control until the rpm reaches where you set it.

The autorotation restart is for when you hit TH and want to come out of it, the head speed will ramp up fast. You have to set it in your TX if you want to use it then set the time you want it to reset to spool up slowly. (Best left the way it is until you start practicing high autos).

Believe it or not, landing in normal mode is much more difficult IMO as the heli will have "ground effect" making it unstable and very touchy just above zero pitch. Better to get to about a 3 foot hover and hit throttle hold and let it drift down going to zero pitch when skids touch the ground. Doing this will keep the heli to the ground even on windy days.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:27 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HW 50A ESC

DarkSyd3D can you check your pm
Thank,
Charles
flyercld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercld View Post
DarkSyd3D can you check your pm

Thank,

Charles

Replied

Old 12-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

DarkSyd3D,

Can you tell me why both the 60a v4 and 100a v3 are doing this and how to fix it?!?:

Hobbywing Platinum 50A V3 spool up prob (0 min 18 sec)

Both on heli-linear. 3-4 seconds after spoolup, it ramps up like a mad man.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unless you have tired packs you should probably use Gov store. There's still a small kick a few seconds after spool up. At least on my V3's it's always been there. Only doesn't happen if I throttle hold and spool back up. No idea why it happens but it's never been a problem for me. I can't remember if the 60a I had did that or not.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by therick04pp View Post
DarkSyd3D,

Can you tell me why both the 60a v4 and 100a v3 are doing this and how to fix it?!?:

Hobbywing Platinum 50A V3 spool up prob - YouTube

Both on heli-linear. 3-4 seconds after spoolup, it ramps up like a mad man.
I got a similar ramp up with the 40A Platinum Pro ESC on my OXY 3 before properly calibrating throttle range, as described earlier in this thread. It's not as bad now but 40% throttle still seems too fast for me. I'm thinking of trying a smaller motor pinion gear.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:40 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having a hard time letting the ESC learn the governor values with a Vbar Neo. I have a HW 130 HV on a Logo 690SX, stock motor and pinion.
The Neo does not look at the transmitter's throttle curve. So I set my first bank to a 50% throttle out and make sure it is the active bank. The heli does not spool up. When I set the value to for example 70%, the heli does spool up. But this is not the correct value for the learning procedure. So how can this be done?
In the end I set the throttle servo adjustment on in the Neo gov1 tab, went to 50% throttle, left it there for 20 secs and spooled down. If I read this thread correctly, this is not correct either since you cannot touch the throttle stick when the ESC is learning. So did it now learn correctly or not? I hope so since there is no other way of doing it.
Via the progbox, I see a value of 19 times 1000 for the learned value. Can this be correct with a Scorpion 4525-380 and a gear ratio of 7.06 on a 12S setup?
I sent this to HW support also by the way and got no answer to my question.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not sure Im understanding you properly, but are you trying to use the Vbar governor or the HW governor? They are two completely different things, and the "learning" only applies if you are using the HW internal governor (ELF mode or Gov Store). In this case there is no governor setup on the FBL side of things
Old 05-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or you using vcontrol with neo or other radio.

tshelby73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in