Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

View Poll Results: Has your tail servos failed? Counting # of bad servos on 300x.
Yes 91 66.42%
No - please leave unmarked, this poll is to get a # of bad tail servos 28 20.44%
Blade should send out better tail servos for all 300x owners. 48 35.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

22 flights on mine before failure. Piro'ed and went in.
Contacted HH via online form.. Told me too bad...
The guy was actually rude.. said "read your manual".
I've called them before on another heli and they were glad to send a replacement.
I won't bother with online request again.
Fortunately I had a 76T in my parts supply.
TDMModels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs down I almost killed someone with this heli !!!!!

So that tail waggle on the 300x; This is the question I asked my local hobby shop owner after we took up the 300x for a short flight in his parking lot. The response I got was "probably normal, its a new bird and that's just some flight characteristics of the new beast system." As I am only 3 months into this hobby; no crashes I might add, I took his advice and shrugged the waggle off as "flight characteristics". That night while flying with a worker at his shop and the rest of our crew I took up the 450 first; flew just fine. Then took up the 300x. It did the tail waggle as before. After a 2min or less flight I set it down near, "20 feet" from the guys and I as I usually do, then on the second lift off about 5 seconds and 5 feet in the air it lost rudder and smashed into a friends truck, but also came one inch from the back of my friend's wife's head. TOTAL LOSS OF THE BIRD.
HOW IN THE WORLD CAN BLADE OR E-FLITE OR WHOEVER PUTS OUT THIS BIRD SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT PLASTIC SERVOS WILL FAIL IN THIS HELI !!!!
I have grounded my 450x and 450 3D until new MG servos come in the mail.

Last edited by FLY EVERY DAY; 09-15-2012 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Taking some of the spite out of it ... :-)
FLY EVERY DAY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY EVERY DAY View Post
So that tail waggle on the 300x; This is the question I asked my local hobby shop owner after we took up the 300x for a short flight in his parking lot. The response I got was "probably normal, its a new bird and that just some flight characteristics of the new beast system. As I am only 3 months into this hobby; no crashes I might add, I took his advice and shrugged the waggle off as "flight characteristics. That night while flying with a worker at his shop and the rest of our crew I took up the 450 first; flew just fine. Then took up the 300x. It did the tail waggle as before. After a 2min or less flight I set it down near the guys as I usually do, then on the second lift off about 5 seconds and 5 feet in the air it lost rudder and smashed into a friends truck, but also came one inch from the back of my friend's wife's head. TOTAL LOSS OF THE BIRD.
HOW IN THE HELL CAN BLADE OR E-FLITE OR WHOEVER PUTS OUT THIS BIRD SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT PLASTIC SERVOS WILL FAIL IN THIS HELI !!!!
I have grounded my 450x and 450 3D until MG servos come in the mail.
Sorry to hear about the close call. First and foremost, it is great that no one was injured.

Second, 3 months of flying CP helis and this is your first crash is outstanding!! Most don't have the patience that you've demonstrated in learning to fly CP..

Tail wag is not normal. The normal cure for this is to reduce the gyro gain, or find the source of vibration, or the problem causing the wag. Sometimes parts can fail. This is why it is always good to try to fly with a good safety buffer, 'just in case'..
Would the servo had failed if the wag didn't exist? I only ask, because there are a huge number of folks using this servo with no problems, on the 450 3d, 450x, and 300x.
You have both a 3d and an X, and the servo is not wagging and I assume has been good.

Be sure to report your experience to HH though, as they are the only ones who can determine if there really is a QC issue with the servos, (based on number of issues reported vs distribution figures etc).. It is possible that the 300x servo you got was defective from the start. Give their customer service a chance to help..
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face Thanks for the reply ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Sorry to hear about the close call. First and foremost, it is great that no one was injured.

Second, 3 months of flying CP helis and this is your first crash is outstanding!! Most don't have the patience that you've demonstrated in learning to fly CP..

Tail wag is not normal. The normal cure for this is to reduce the gyro gain, or find the source of vibration, or the problem causing the wag. Sometimes parts can fail. This is why it is always good to try to fly with a good safety buffer, 'just in case'..
Would the servo had failed if the wag didn't exist? I only ask, because there are a huge number of folks using this servo with no problems, on the 450 3d, 450x, and 300x.
You have both a 3d and an X, and the servo is not wagging and I assume has been good.

Be sure to report your experience to HH though, as they are the only ones who can determine if there really is a QC issue with the servos, (based on number of issues reported vs distribution figures etc).. It is possible that the 300x servo you got was defective from the start. Give their customer service a chance to help..
This was the 4th flight of the hell, the 300x was 5 days old. I don't know how to tell if it was anything but the servo. I have now learned about the gain settings in the beast-x, and I had not turned it down from factory settings.
Thanks for the nod to no crashes as of yet; I am a safe flyer and really just like to cruse my choppers. I am training to take up motion picture cameras for cinema photography.
I was all set to pick up the BLADE 500x but now I think I'm moving on to t-rex land as much as I wanted to stay with BLADE, but cant trust those guys anymore. I wish I would have known about those darn plastic servos before any of this happened, I really didn't want to buy my friend a new hood for his truck.
ALL in ALL this little heli has been a $1200.00 dollar lesson in how awesome of a company HH is ... NOT !!!!!!
Again thanks for the tip, and I must say this is a great place to learn about this great hobby !!!
FLY EVERY DAY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wonder why the tail servos would be more prone to fail on the 300X? I have close to 800 flights on my Blade 450 with the same tail servo and have never had an issue? There must be something mechanical that is different?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it may just be a bad batch of servos if the 450 hasn't really seen a lot of failures. Mine failed as a lot of the others, not by stripped gears, just dead. In my case anyway, it seems to be electrical rather than mechanical.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My tail servo is still fine, but I had an elevator servo go out on me the other day. I was doing easy sport flying and she started acting 'wonky'. I took her down, looked her over, couldnt find anything wrong. Put her back up, still wonky, but after about 10 seconds, it got worse and she flipped upside-down and flew about 50' and crashed... luckily I was half prepared for this and hit TH. No damage, but after really checking her out, noticed elevator servo was completely dead.
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Add me to the list of bad tail servos

Wow I thought this would not happen to me. But after my 3rd. flight it locked up on me and crashed. Lucky for me it was only 4 feet high and only thing that broke was my skids Called HH and guy said it was the first time someone was calling regarding that problem. He also mentioned that he was going to send me a servo as a one time for free courtesy They need to upgrade those tail servos. I have a Blade 450x and no issues flown that 30 times no issues weird maybe I got a lemon tail servo ?
MAGNUSS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 15 flights and I made the list

4 feet off the ground started to tail wag and rotate uncontrolably. The hard landing caused a blade strike shearing the head bolt and stripping the main gear. HH sent a new tail servo within 3 days which was excellent. Replaced all the bad parts and set the tail servo end points 16 flights later all is well.
taildragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just received my Blade replacement tail servo today from HH.

Who wants it?! hahaaa

I already replaced with a Savox, I don't want it.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm.. pm sent
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My tail servo failed last week. Just locked up between flights. No crashes on this machine. It feels as though it has burned internally, as it wont rotate at all.

A flying partner is just starting to get the wag in his (no vibs in heli) , just looks like the gain is turned up too high). It appears that the wag is the early sign it's about to go????

My LHS pulled a servo off a NIB 300 to get me flying again but I'm looking for a replacement. I've had nothing but good service out of hitechs in the past and am going to try the 5084MG suggested in another post.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16

Last edited by john2kx; 09-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: clarification
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had my 300 for about 2 weeks now and 23 flights on it. ( No crashes btw) Last time I was out I was getting the tail wag...I messed with the tx gyro settings (lowered it to about 74%) and the wag got worse...I landed immediately with no damage. I came home and searched 300x tail wag and have come across this forum. Now I don't want to go back out and fly in fear of a tail servo failure and ultimately a crash. Looks like I'll be calling HH....UGH!!!
bk.heli.man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

BKHeli, maybe try moving the tail servo around with TH on for a couple mins and see what happens. If its about to fail, I'm guessing it will fail pretty quickly (had a cyclic go on me last week, went from fine to dead in about 60 seconds).

I would also contact HH and let them know your tail servo went out...they should send you a new one.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DS76T=Junk

Tail servo failed on second flight. Noticed that on power up the servo was is constant motion, almost like a high speed jitter. Sevo would get extremely hot sitting on the bench. Horizon gave me the lame excuse "servos get warm". I flew it, it failed, of corse horizon was back ordered. Installed ds76 and changed by servo setting. Flys rock solid.
Pygmaeus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Add me to the list. About 20 flights, no crashes. Got the wag, then it died. Already had a jr replacement waiting. My 450x with the same servo has been problem free, and has at least 70 flights with 2 crashes.
Debo42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

BKHeli, maybe try moving the tail servo around with TH on for a couple mins and see what happens. If its about to fail, I'm guessing it will fail pretty quickly (had a cyclic go on me last week, went from fine to dead in about 60 seconds).

I would also contact HH and let them know your tail servo went out...they should send you a new one.

Thanks mixfisto...What do you mean exactly by trying to move the servo? Just try to move the tail pushrod with the heli plugged in? I dont see what this will do??

I had a set of yellow tail blades on it and thought I could try the stock ones before calling HH, Most of the tail vibes and wag are gone but now the tail seems to be glitching on clockwise circles, I will be calling HH tomorrow and will post back what they say...
bk.heli.man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.heli.man View Post

Thanks mixfisto...What do you mean exactly by trying to move the servo? Just try to move the tail pushrod with the heli plugged in? I dont see what this will do??

I had a set of yellow tail blades on it and thought I could try the stock ones before calling HH, Most of the tail vibes and wag are gone but now the tail seems to be glitching on clockwise circles, I will be calling HH tomorrow and will post back what they say...
I meant to say move the servo via the rudder stick on your tx... or you could probably just move/turn the heli left/right to work the servo (while its trying to keep the tail 'inline'). Basically I'm thinking that if the servo is about to go bad, once it's being used/active, it shouldn't take more than a min or two to fail.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a brand new tail servo that HH sent me to replace mine.. But I replaced with Savox already and not looking back.

Anyone want a brand new in package tail servo? $20 shipped/paypald. Shoot me a PM if you want it!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2nd tail servo failure

Got a replacement tail servo from HH since the original one died. It lasted about a week(10 flights). Servo maxed out in one direction during spool up, luckily I didn't get off the ground. Took the Heli in the garage and I could hear what sounded like bacon frying in a pan. I will not use another tail servo from HH.
taildragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in