Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Multiplex FunCopter

Multiplex FunCopter Multiplex FunCopter Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Twin Funcopters!

G'day mates,

I originally got a RR (Rx ready) version of the Funcopter almost 2 months ago (one of the first kits in Australia). I played around with it and tried a few upgrades to take it from 3s to a more powerful 4s setup. In the meantime, because FC parts were hard to get at this time, I bought a FC ARF kit (motor, but no electronics) from Tower Hobbies on a good discount deal.

However, even after a few crashes, the only thing I managed to break was a couple of the rear tail gears (one on the boom end and one on the tail rotor shaft). Given this and the fact that FC parts are now easy to get, and reasonably priced, down-under, I decided to equip and fly the ARF kit.

These are my general comments about both of these, and how I'm curently using them;

First of all, I learnt to fly heli's on a Corona 120 ~7 years ago using brushed motors and 8 cell 2400 Nicad packs. It was a great heli at the time and it helped me learn to fly heli's for not a lot of $'s. At the time, corona parts were 2.5 times as expensive in Australia as the US and were sometimes hard to get. Shipping from the US was very expensive at that time.

I now have both the FC RR version (Rx ready, comes with hs81 servos, multiplex 300 gyro and multiplex 37a esc) and the ARF version (only includes motor and servo linkages) and I think both run very well.

I'm using the RR version to help train a few newbies at our model flying club and it's been a real hit. I made up some training gear with 2x700mm lengths of 6mm wooden dowel and golf practice balls on the ends, all straped to the landing skids. The only mod I've done to this one is to replace the stock analog servo with a digital (hitec HSG-5084). With this digital tail servo, the tail is just about as solid as my other FC using a Fut401 gyro. I'm using 3s-2650-3200-4000 mahr packs (heavier ones work best in high winds).

For most new heli guys, I would recommend the RR version, replacing the analog tail servo with a HSG-5084. That way you also end up with a spare cyclic servo.

My Arf version is for my personal use and I've gone to the following more powerful 4s-2650 setup;

HK Tunigy plush 60 esc, Fut401 gyro (run in analog mode), 2xhs-81 on cyclics, Ino-lab HG-D261HB digital servo on the tail.

To be honest, besides having a faster climb rate, this heli does not fly that much better but it does fly a lot faster! The only mod I've done to this heli is to add an additional rear boom plastic spacer to help tighten up the tail gear mesh a bit. This has helped get the higher 4s power to the tail without stripping tail gears. This is not necessary on the 3s setup imho.

Personally, I think that this heli is a big improvement on the old Corona 120. Part costs seem pretty reasonable, although I don't like the fact that Multiplex have packaged up a lot of these. This seems to be a trend for many heli makers lately. For small items, like most links, you can easily make your own.

I think that this heli is going to be a very popular one for new heli guys. Preferably ones with some small coaxial and sim time, plus having some local support would be a real plus. I think it's also going to be popular as a simple, low stress heli for more experienced CP heli flyers like me (I mainly fly 50-90 sized E-heli's), or guys who want to stick with FP heli's.

The heli on the left is my 4s hotdog and the one on the right is my 3s trainer. I'm currently flying the 4s one without the rear canopy and have a piece of foam pipe insulation around the boom-wack area. While I think that the heli flys a little better without the rear canopy (a little less effected by cross-winds) I really like the look of the full front/rear canopy. Makes it look like a cool F3C machine!

Cheers,
TomC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC x 2.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	192969  
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice write up, agree with ya on every point
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
nice write up, agree with ya on every point
Thanks Mate, you and I are really having a lot of fun with these heli's!

Forgot to mention a couple of things;

The FC is the largest (and heaviest ~1.3kg) fixed pitch heli I know of. In the air it looks like a Trex500 sized heli.

While you cannot 3D it, I've managed a few loops with my 4s set-up. Just run it hard/fast, full throttle, into the wind then yank up on the elevator and hold on for dear life! Hardest part for a CP guy is avoiding cutting the throttle on the top half of the loop. Don't know of any other FP heli that you can do this successfully?

I'll try to get someone to take some pics of this next time I'm at our flying field and post them.

Cheers,
TomC
Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you ever get pics or video of the Funcopter doing loops?

Do you still fly these?
Blade CX3/UMX Beast/HK J3cub/Champ
Mr.Firemouth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry no vids of loops. While the FC does these, they really are not that much fun to do. The heli shakes and strains when coming out of the loop. Also, you can get ugly rolls out of this heli too, but really not fun imho.

Still having fun with my FC, esp since V2 upgrades have come out (~2 months ago). Stronger motor (esp. on 3s), flat flybar paddles (less pitching up in fff), stronger tail shaft and metal collar (more robust).

Cheers,
TomC
Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

here's a loop for you (not me)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdz4PP9oVO0&feature=email[/ame]
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in