Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default FAA Crack Down

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-for-uavs.html

This SUX!
DKTek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

and to think there were many on other forums who laughed and said it would never happen.

we can thank all the idiots who routinely fly "way the hell up there" or beyond line of sight and brag about it!
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by N74DV
and to think there were many on other forums who laughed and said it would never happen.

we can thank all the idiots who routinely fly "way the hell up there" or beyond line of sight and brag about it!
To tell you the truth I think this comes more from the industry (NASA, AeroVironment, universities, etc.) doing UAV work. The FAA is ultra paranoid about the offensive potential of UAV's, particularly after 9-11. I don't think the R/C guys are really very much on their radar. We're just getting caught in the same filter.

When they grounded all aircraft after 9-11, that included hang gliders. I'm sure they didn't have HG in mind, but we were grounded just the same.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

agreed, but I do believe they keep a closer eye on us than you might think.
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That could be.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

closed
Brady Longmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

That would definately do R/C unjust cause reguardless of the target! I hope it won't happen but there are those who will try.....eventually. My job was affected by 9/11 and now it looks like it's hitting my hobby as well. The terrorist arseholes hit more than they'll ever know....then again, this might have came up anyway due to the changing technologies that give Joe Blow the ability to afford a UAV for BLOS. Good intentions or not, the FAA would've done this anyway for this reason.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It'll be interesting to see exactly what the FAA releases today, if anything, and just how regulatory in nature it will be.

I, like many others, have used AC 91-57 as a guideline that if I'm under 400' and more than 3 miles away from an airport then I'm legal.

Another good reference document is a memorandum the FAA released in September 2005 http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/uas/AFS_P...ept16_2005.pdf. What's curious is section 6.13 of that document, which states that UAS operations that comply with AC 91-57 are considered model aircraft and are not evaluated by the UA criteria within their policy.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they come out with and how the language reads.
Maxi Joker 2 with Carvec
Maxi Joker 2 with AP2000
Logo 10 Stretched
MLaBoyteaux is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, my understanding on this situation is a bit different. I was slightly involved in some initial proposals that were sent to the FAA back in September 2006, that were intended to be a guide as to what both the RC community, and those flying RC aricraft for commercial gain (now termed UAV or MAVs) were to expect in the coming years. There was a small committee, quite a few tele-conferences, etc. to try to determine how both sides of the fence could see the other's viewpoints, and help make rules that we could all abide by.

First and foremost, to the best of my knowledge, the FAA has absolutely no plan to moderate, mediate, regulate, or otherwise limit recreational RC aircraft, other than the AC91-57 advisory.

The difference is when you are making commercial profits (income based on a business offering aircraft or services to the general, industrial, or government entities) and not following any sort of rules other than AC 91-57. There is just too much liability to have every Sheriff Deputy flying a 'UAV' into someone and killing them. Who is to certify their training? Who is to certify the aircraft is airworthy?

The intention is only to make sure the aircraft is safe, the pilot is competent, and the general public is not endangered.

In all honesty, this is the best thing that could happen, and those AP businesses who have the company strength and desire will flow with whatever proposals the FAA releases without much effort.

The guys over at RCAPA could give you a much better idea of what is happening, as I have been away from it since then.
loopzilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopzilla
Hey guys, my understanding on this situation is a bit different. I was slightly involved in some initial proposals that were sent to the FAA back in September 2006, that were intended to be a guide as to what both the RC community, and those flying RC aricraft for commercial gain (now termed UAV or MAVs) were to expect in the coming years. There was a small committee, quite a few tele-conferences, etc. to try to determine how both sides of the fence could see the other's viewpoints, and help make rules that we could all abide by.

First and foremost, to the best of my knowledge, the FAA has absolutely no plan to moderate, mediate, regulate, or otherwise limit recreational RC aircraft, other than the AC91-57 advisory.

The difference is when you are making commercial profits (income based on a business offering aircraft or services to the general, industrial, or government entities) and not following any sort of rules other than AC 91-57. There is just too much liability to have every Sheriff Deputy flying a 'UAV' into someone and killing them. Who is to certify their training? Who is to certify the aircraft is airworthy?

The intention is only to make sure the aircraft is safe, the pilot is competent, and the general public is not endangered.

In all honesty, this is the best thing that could happen, and those AP businesses who have the company strength and desire will flow with whatever proposals the FAA releases without much effort.

The guys over at RCAPA could give you a much better idea of what is happening, as I have been away from it since then.
Thats was my thought when I read this, there has been a TON of UAV coverage in the news about how the military is now using this stuff, large manufacturers like Boeing and Grumman are now setting it up etc... I dont think they know who Mikado or align is, they just don't want something with a 10-30 mile range on it flying up to the white house and dropping hundreds of ounces of unknown liquids.

I think we will feel a small pinch but nothing major. We may have to register with the FAA eventually and possibly get tested somehow.
Gaui 200
Trex 450 SE V2 Dedicated night Rig
Cryofix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryofix
I think we will feel a small pinch but nothing major. We may have to register with the FAA eventually and possibly get tested somehow.
I'm betting and hoping not. Even manned ultralights and hang gliders are specifically ignored by the FAA (as long as they remain within the legal weight, power, and airspace limitations). We've had FAA arrive at the site of a fatal accident, take one peek at the body and wreckage, say "it's not an airplane" and walk away.

In the case of UAV's I imagine there will also be weight, power, and airspace restrictions. Stay within those and be ignored. Outside of those, and the FAA will come knocking. I think there may very well be different guidelines for remote piloted vs. robotic as well.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

So has anyone found the actual FAA text? The article states the FAA was to issue a policy notice Feb 13th (today), but I can't find it on the FAA web site. Checked RCAPA, AOPA, AVWEB, etc but didn't see anything there either.

I remain cautiously hopefully. Being a pilot I am all too familiar with the FAA's capacity to issue bone headed rulings. It is vitally important to comment back to the FAA during open comment periods on proposed new rules.

That said, licensing and regulation add legitimacy to the industry and prevent just any joe with a toy heli and a camera from claiming he is in the AP business (yea, I know that description probably fits most of us, but we are working on it).

Most importantly, regulation reduces the chances of someone getting seriously hurt and the resulting knee jerk legislation.
http://www.hoverimaging.com
oscillator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The AOPA and resulting RTCA SC-203 is something to watch.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/unmanned.html
http://www.rtca.org/comm/Committee.cfm?id=45

Yes, regulation is good. Insurance will be more readily available, liability litigation will be resolved more quickly, etc. In the end, it will actually be easier to conduct a legitimate AP business, but service rates will need to be adjusted to suit...
loopzilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, as a pilot I appreciate the AOPA's efforts and can personally attest to the stress generated when a controller advised me that there was a UAV in my area operating over a significant area and with a significant block altitude - an no, he didn't have the UAV on radar! Basic translation - "there is a small object flying around in your area that could kill you and I have no idea where it is. Good luck seeing it before it hits you!"

That said - this argument, and the "sense and avoid" certainly applies to the government type UAV's, but not really to the R/C heli doing low level AP. Hopefully the FAA will look at altitude limits and operational profiles and set some sensible limits. A R/C craft flying under 200 ft and not near an airport should pose no risk to fixed wing craft - who should be above 1,000 AGL and rotor craft - who should be above 500 AGL.

Besides an operational celling and avoiding landing zones, the real regulation for our "UAV's" should be focused on insuring the safety of persons/property on the ground and on protecting privacy. I hope the FAA will be able to make this distinction.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My suspicion is that for most retail AP work you may run into more trouble with local ordinances than with the FAA. But here's crossing my fingers that the FAA exercises reasonable common sense. My opinion is that they generally do a pretty good job in the long run - sometimes they just seem to take the long way around the park getting there.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
My suspicion is that for most retail AP work you may run into more trouble with local ordinances than with the FAA....
Agreed, but here is the beauty of the FAA getting involved - federal law trumps state and local laws.

We see this all the time with airports and general aviation. The city or the county will try to pass some law regulating the use of an airport or where planes are or are not allowed to fly. In every case I know of, the federal government has stepped in and told the local government they had no jurisdiction in this area.

So...If the FAA does indeed exercise control over our "hobby" then local governments could not enforce their own restrictions. Certainly they will try, but ultimately they will fail.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator
So...If the FAA does indeed exercise control over our "hobby" then local governments could not enforce their own restrictions. Certainly they will try, but ultimately they will fail.
That's surprising and interesting. I've never known that.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It was posted in the Federal Register yesterday. Here's a link to a pdf version of it:
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p89/452254.pdf

It spells out that flying under AC 91-57 is not for business purposes. So our models are defined as "UAS" vehicles and therefore need a special airworthiness certificate, which is unobtainable.

I truly believe there will be some form of relief, but what it is and how long it takes to develop is unknown.

I copied this from Patrick Egan on the RCAPA website, as it's great information and PLEASE, call or write your local Senator, Congressman, and the Department of Commerce.

Quote:
“We still have a few options left but they will take more time and effort so if you want to see yourself in the future of commercial RC AP now’s the time to make a stand.”

I quoted myself from the February RCAPA newsletter. We have a plan and options, some of which have already been enacted. The light at the end of the tunnel plan the FAA says it will come up with is rumored to be at least a year out other reports say 2011.

RCAPA will be implementing new programs and rules.
I ask that you take the test(s) and comply with all other recommendations implemented they are implemented for a reason.

What can you do?
You can call and write to the people/agencies below.

You can ask what you are supposed to do with your equipment.

You can join RCAPA and take the test(s)

You can hit the donate button, if we had more money we’d have more options.

You can volunteer your time skill set to further the cause.

Nick Sabitini
Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety
202-267-3131
FAA National Headquarters
800 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20591

Kenneth (Doug) Davis
Manager UAV Program office
He likes letters too!
Same address as above

Dept. of Commerce

http://www.oig.doc.gov/oig/Hotline_contact.htm
• Phone:
Toll Free 1-800-424-5197
In the D.C. metro area 202-482-2495
TDD Toll Free 1-800-854-8407
TDD in the D.C. metro area 202-482-5923
• Fax: (202) 482-2803
• Mail:
U.S. Department of Commerce
Office of Inspector General
Hotline
P.O. Box 612
Ben Franklin Station
Washington, D.C. 20044
• E-mail: hotline@oig.doc.gov
Remember: Because the Internet is not secure, it is possible, though unlikely, that e-mail complaints may be read by persons other than your intended source. If you are concerned about this you may choose to mail or call us.
• Online Hotline Complaint Form:
Submit a complaint using our online submission form.

House directory
http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html
Maxi Joker 2 with Carvec
Maxi Joker 2 with AP2000
Logo 10 Stretched
MLaBoyteaux is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
HeliFreak Security Staff

My HF Map location

we should extend this out to the rest of the heli community also as it may affect them over time.

maybe post in the general section.
Gaui 200
Trex 450 SE V2 Dedicated night Rig
Cryofix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

ahhh, it is so nice to get back over to a place that talks about the issues instead of bickering and blowing crap out on the computer.

And with all of this going on right now, on another board, the top thread is how high have you gone. People are still posting. The thread above that one deals with what's coming in the near future. They should change it to,"How can we fuel the FAA's fire!"

With that in mind, and all of the "One gallon experts" out there trying to get into AP, I say bring on the rules and regulations. If we continue the current path, someone will end up getting hurt, or cause major damage to a structure then the hobby as a whole will be dealing with this same problem.

I think we need a certification program! It is obvious that a lot of people can't think themselves through a safe sortie. And when they do something as dangerous as going above the 400 foot mark, they can't keep their big fat mouths shut! If looking cool to a bunch of people sitting behind their computers is so important to the poster, should they really be able to fly in the same air space as...... the birds! And I'm not trying to talk smack about those people because we all started from somewhere and we have all done stupid things in the past to get to where we are.... But going public about it, come on.

While we all play, Hurry up and wait, I'm going to keep on keeping on with my mast setup. I live by the saying, "There is a price you pay for the girls you lay!" You can pretty much adapt that to just about anything in life. I know a mast can't get a lot of of the shots that we see and love, but 50 feet is more than high enough to do real estate and some construction type jobs. Regardless, a lot of us out there need to find some way to pay for the large amounts of cash we have invested in our equipment. A mast might be a uesful tool!

What about a tethered blimp or ball? And what about all of the people that use kites for AP? Will we all be lumped together?
cainebean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in