Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Provided FM has initialized red light flashing would mean no signal from reciever so check the connections especialey the aileron channel. A bad connection could also be the reason for the servo jittering.
Also please read the sticky, setting stick directions must be done after servos are set for auto correct.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Hi Ivor :
The red light does initialize after 5 to 10 seconds of the dancing and goes flashing green.
The heli is sitting on a level table.
I will start over and set the auto correct first, I most of misunderstood that part or skipped over it.
I will let you know the results, but I'm taking a break from it for a day or two.
Thank You
joe1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1 View Post
Hi Ivor :
The red light does initialize after 5 to 10 seconds of the dancing and goes flashing green.
The heli is sitting on a level table.
I will start over and set the auto correct first, I most of misunderstood that part or skipped over it.
I will let you know the results, but I'm taking a break from it for a day or two.
Thank You
Hi Ivor :
I went back and re-set factory settings.
I got everything moving in the right directions and swash turns in opposite of the turn with no stick input.
It don't move the swash much,and I think there should be away to get more movement but right now, it not that important.
It is still doing the jig when I turn it on with red light on, if it does Initialize as soon as I move the pitch or elevator and aileron, it will start the jig and red light flashing but not as long as starting mode.
I removed the ccd sensor plug and now it moves OK but the green light stays flashing which it would being its not hooked up.
I toke the main unit apart to see if any solder joints were bad or anything showing burnt marks.
I did not find any but some of the electronic pieces were on the hot side.
I don't know whats wrong.

Last edited by joe1; 02-18-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some thing is very wrong it does not get hot. Are you shure the servo's are plugged in the right way around, neg wire outside in line with the usb sign. If the servo's are plugged in the wrong way around for any length if time the main unit will get hot and will get damaged. This will cause the servo's to jitter violently on power up.
But if as you say it works ok with the camera disconnected I would think you have a faulty unit.
Many use it with the camera disconnected in balance mode. Put it in balance mode by changing the balance slider to - 70 and see if it works ok.
What is your location ?.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thank you all

when i bought the flymentor i didn't realize what a nasty piece of work it was. Specially with the terrible instructions supplied. But i made amazing progress thanks to this thread and all of your great answers. thanks guys
drevildog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Hi Ivor :
I have all the servo's plugged in right, the servo's will not work if they are not right.
It works most of the time with it turn on the balance, but every once in awhile it will do the jig but very fast and short.
I live in Ohio, and don't know anyone in my area that fly heli's that use a FM unit.
I'm going to try to attach a video, it starts and stops but you can see what it does, that is if it will uploads.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Ivor :
I have all the servo's plugged in right, the servo's will not work if they are not right.
It works most of the time with it turn on the balance, but every once in awhile it will do the jig but very fast and short.
I live in Ohio, and don't know anyone in my area that fly heli's that use a FM unit.
I'm going to try to attach a video, it starts and stops but you can see what it does, that is if it will uploads.

It did not upload, to big of a file.
I don't know how to shrink it down

Last edited by joe1; 02-19-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Quote:
It did not upload, to big of a file.
I don't know how to shrink it down
Ivor :
This thing even does the jig with it turned of in the balance mode.
The thing works pretty good if is set to 70 in the balance mode and you move the sticks real slow but if it's to much it will do it.
I think the unit is bad, it should not get hot and everything is setup right.
Just was sold a bad used unit, that is what I get for buying off of these sites.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you useing to power your reciever ?. If you are powering it from the esc what esc is it ?.
Where did you buy the Flymentor ?.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

It is a H.Wing 60 amp Opt and a 7.5 amp ESC.
It has the ESC wires going to ch-3 and a power wire go to battery slot or ch-7 on the receiver and that is how the instructions said to wire it.
I'm still trying to find away to upload this video.
I compressed it, but it still to big.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

2 esc's does not make a lot of sence. Do you mean you have a 7.5 amp bec powering the reciever. If so what is the make
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Ivor :
The wires going from the ESC are the signal wires to the receiver and the other is the power wires from the bec to the receiver, I made a mistake in my last post.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ivor :
The wires going from the ESC are the signal wires to the receiver and the other is the power wires from the bec to the receiver, I made a mistake in my last post.
The Bec is a Hobby Wing also.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because the problem is intermittent normaly I would think that you had a bad connection but because you say that FM is getting hot I think it's probably faulty. You could disconnect the battery and connect a 6v battery pack to the reciever to check that there is no problem with the bec. 6v reciever pack are not expencive and are usefull for testing.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

I will try using a battery pack, all of mine are dead.
The thing about it is my heli was working before installing the FM.

Last edited by joe1; 02-23-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy i must be close

ok I have a kds 450s and the flymentor 3d, I have my steady green light, the controls are going the proper direction.I loaded the controls. I disconnected the blue wire as it was previously recommended but my swash plate is not moving. I know i must be close but what am i missing?
can any body give me some ideas please?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevildog View Post
ok I have a kds 450s and the flymentor 3d, I have my steady green light, the controls are going the proper direction.I loaded the controls. I disconnected the blue wire as it was previously recommended but my swash plate is not moving. I know i must be close but what am i missing?
can any body give me some ideas please?

I guess you mean the swash moves with the sticks but not when you tip the heli ?. If that is the case then check that the gyro is plugged in properly and the correct way around. Also check that the balancer gain is set to +70 on the advance page, it probably is because you have a green led but check anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up i think that did it

first of all i'm glad you were able to figure out what I was trying to say. Yes the stick moved the controls properly but the flymentor moved everything the opposite direction. And yes you had it right. the wires were reversed. So I fixed and it looks right so now I need some good weather to gives this a spin.
Thanks again
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well i'm realy confused now but glad you got there.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flight Mentor

Hi Ivor :=}
I don't now if you have ever heard of anyone having problems like mine.
While I have solved my troubles with the FM working right.
I don't think I told you I'm running a separate tail gyro.
The time you add up 4 servo's 2 gyro's 2 receivers and a 60 amp ESC it seam to me that all of that was going to be using a lot of power.
So I switched my bec to 6 volts and now it is working.

Last edited by joe1; 02-23-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in