Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

maybe someone could draw up a small sketch? its probly so incredibly simple but all this reading ab how everyone did theirs slightly different confuses me on how to wire the diode and the l.e.d. i have a 3s thunder power 2200 lipo from my 450 i want to put in my dx7 but am worried ab messing up cuz im confused. thanks
minimalitia1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

Here's a picture from another site that shows how to hook up the diodes.
I connected the two diodes together first, made a hook on each one and crimped together then solder. Put heat shrink on, the do the same physical connections on each end and solder.
If you are using a standard lipo, you'll need to modify the output connector to fit your radio.
As added safety, I put a little tape around the entire battery, holding the diodes against the battery, so they can't move at all.

Last edited by Quisp; 09-24-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Quisp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah we have these too but it voids your warranty. Guys doing this don't charge the lipo all the way up. Only to 11.1v or so. Then recharge as normal because the lipo can be all the way as low as 9.2v it isn't under load. Kind of a pain in the butt we need a regulator. Be nice to have a nice regulated voltage of 11v.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, I have been watching this post with interest. Since my last entry I have had no trouble and a brilliant operation. My DX7 has performed perfectly. I don't have any photos at the moment but, I have attached a simple diagram of BOTH my circuits.
(1) The cable I have made to simplify the plug-in for a balanced charge.
(2) The connection for the diode to the battery that I have used for over a year. (For those who are not sure about the circuit, look at the bottom right of the drawing for the battery wiring only)

The diode in the battery circuit has both lowered the output voltage down by .6v to just under 12v at the radio, as well as protected the battery from accidental charging through the radio charger plug.
There is no reason you cant use two diodes in line (series) if you want to go lower. Two will give you about 11.4v at the radio.

Hope this helps...

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lipo for DX7.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	121747  
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #65 (permalink)

Good graphic Dennis. I tried to paste a graphic from another site, and wasn't successful.
I went with two diodes, and at a full charge see 11 to 11.1 on the transmitter.

I need to make an extension for the balance plug. Just so happens that the lipo I'm using has a short balance lead, which on one hand is good for storage in the transmitter, but on the other hand not super easy to plug into charger.
But heck, after several weeks of use, I'm down to 10.7 volts. So once a month or so isn't too much to deal with.
I just pull the lipo out the back of the transmitter, but don't disconnect from the transmitter power lead. Charge it for a little while and push it back in the case for another month.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh cool I see what you guys are doing now. And the lipo is protected because the radio will shut off long before 9.2v actual on the battery.. Nice...
Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just took a couple of quick pics. Hopefully you might be interested. It may shed some light on what I have been trying to show with my diagram.
The balance plug is extended to go to the battery in situ.
Please excuse the rough piece of electrical conduit but it works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020020s.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	122779   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020022s.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	122780   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020018s.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	122781   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020019s.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	122782  
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi guys ... i just added a 3S 1C 2650mah lipo to my dx7
question .. i can only set the alarm to be at 10v max in the service menu .. can it be set higher to lets say 11.1v (dont wanna kill the lipo) or so ??
question .. what does that adjustment below the set alarm level in the service menu do ?? does it just calibrate/adjust the input voltage from the batt to the tx so that the tx is showing the correct voltage from the batt or does it do something else ??
allanQ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanQ View Post
hi guys ... i just added a 3S 1C 2650mah lipo to my dx7
question .. i can only set the alarm to be at 10v max in the service menu .. can it be set higher to lets say 11.1v (dont wanna kill the lipo) or so ??
question .. what does that adjustment below the set alarm level in the service menu do ?? does it just calibrate/adjust the input voltage from the batt to the tx so that the tx is showing the correct voltage from the batt or does it do something else ??
Put a diode in-line with the battery and then you will not have to worry about about draining the battery.
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes .. i am planning to get the diode in but have not gotten to it yet .. the diode only lowers the voltage output of the batt but does not change the alarm setting
what am i curious is even with the batt fully charged and i checked with DMM showing 12.5v .. the display on the dx7 shows only 11.1v depending on how i adjust the setting in the service menu shows full charge on the bar
Old 11-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
yes .. i am planning to get the diode in but have not gotten to it yet .. the diode only lowers the voltage output of the batt but does not change the alarm setting
what am i curious is even with the batt fully charged and i checked with DMM showing 12.5v .. the display on the dx7 shows only 11.1v depending on how i adjust the setting in the service menu shows full charge on the bar
If you add one (1) diode or two (2) in parallel the TX will show 11.9 or 12 volts. Then you can use the DX7 TX's low voltage alarm as is and the battery will be safe. I always charge when it is around 10.xx.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

if its 10.xx then the alarm will not go off .. thus defeating the purpose of the alarm and having to look at the voltage regularly .. LOL
the alarm in my dx7 could not be set higher than 10v .. if it can be done then i would appreciate any info on how its done .. thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
if its 10.xx then the alarm will not go off .. thus defeating the purpose of the alarm and having to look at the voltage regularly .. LOL
the alarm in my dx7 could not be set higher than 10v .. if it can be done then i would appreciate any info on how its done .. thanks
Why do you want to set the alarm around 10 volts?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Why do you want to set the alarm around 10 volts?
i wish i could set the alarm to 11.3v or something thereabouts ..
the thing is the alarm warning setting only allows me to set it at a maximum of 10v .. it will not go beyond that ..
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

fitted my lipo with 2 x 1n4001 diode in series
there is a drop of about 0.75v at the output to the TX .. so now my TX will never see anything more than 12v even with the 3S lipo at full charge
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #76 (permalink)

2 diodes in series on mine. Fully charged pack reads 12.6 at the charger, and through the 1.5 volt drop of the diodes in series is 11.1 at the radio display.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
2 diodes in series on mine. Fully charged pack reads 12.6 at the charger, and through the 1.5 volt drop of the diodes in series is 11.1 at the radio display.
You will have a longer run time if you use (1) or two in parallel. It will show 11.9 or 12 volts on the radio and you will still be safe.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have as low voltage alarm I added to mine. Goes off when my Infina Models Ion battery gets to 10v But has LED in radio to show status before that. The ION battery runs my DX7 about 20 hours between charges.
Lithuim Ion Dual Pack For Radikal
Rodney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out my recent posts on this subject. There are a couple on other threads..
Regards
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

AllanQ did you ever get an answer to your question? i read this post long ago before i put my Rhino 2660 with diode in. but i wanted to do the same as you. as it is now if my voltage reads around 10.3 or 10.4 i am at about 16% when i put the pack on the charger. i don't like taking it that low so i also wanted to be able to set the low voltage alarm to 10.6. i would think that setting it to 11.6 would be to high with a diode. 10V might save a fire but i am not sure the battery is going to be very happy.
traeside is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in