Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Unhappy Tail Going Crazy!

So the other day I decided to move my 4in1 up in front of the MM on a custom made tray for a number of reasons.
While I was at it I did a bit of a tear down and straighten my main shaft, and remove my boom to do the same.
Everything went really well! main shaft was dead still when i spun it up absent the head, I put it all back together and took the bee out to calibrate the gyro. I told myself "I'll just get her trimmed up and leave it at that." so the prop/gain was all calibrated and she was hovering great! Hands free for 2-3 seconds!
Then I started to have too much fun and threw the "just trim/calibrate" plan out the window.
Threw the bee into a couple of FF's and some spins. Then disaster!
On a return pass i lost control and ran into a concrete pillar at speed.
The main damage was the flybar and slight damage to the tail fin.

That damage is all fixed now but now i have found it impossible to hover, the tail spins about with a mind of its own, first in one direction then the other, it has been so bad that I can't even begin to try calibrating the Gyro as per VL's instructions.
Occasionally by applying just the right amount of rudder I can hold a stable hover for a second or 2 but out of nowhere the tail will go crazy again
Also the aileron servo will now sometimes twitch like crazy upon binding the Tx/Rx, rebinding fixes this most times.

I have a fuse mod for the MM but not TM so I'm praying that I haven't cooked the 4in1 when the tail struck the concrete pillar.

Here's some pics of my wiring and new 4in1 position.

Could this layout cause interference where battery and TM wires cross and where the servo wires cross the MM wire?

please help!
Is there any way I can figure put if the 4in1 is definitely fried or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse mod.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	242868   Click image for larger version

Name:	bee left.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	242869   Click image for larger version

Name:	bee right.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	242870  
Steemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you running the stock tail gear setup or have you upgraded to DD setup?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try turning down the gyro gain completely and see if you can manage to hover it. That should turn off the gyro so if that fixes it then your gyro is busted. (I think). You might have damaged one of the other components, or may have loosened a connection on the PCB causing some component to dis/reconnect during flight with all sorts of undefined results.
I've had some servo twitching before, turned out the linear regulators were overheating (high load).
Only way to really tell if your 4-in-1 is toast is replace it with a new one, or do a 3-in-1 upgrade. If the problem still exist then the 4-in-1 was fine
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
Are you running the stock tail gear setup or have you upgraded to DD setup?
Still running stock tail unfortunately. As I gotta pay for shipping to australia am waiting to find one vendor with all the DD gear I wanna buy actually in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdouden View Post
Try turning down the gyro gain completely and see if you can manage to hover it. That should turn off the gyro so if that fixes it then your gyro is busted. (I think). You might have damaged one of the other components, or may have loosened a connection on the PCB causing some component to dis/reconnect during flight with all sorts of undefined results.
I've had some servo twitching before, turned out the linear regulators were overheating (high load).
Only way to really tell if your 4-in-1 is toast is replace it with a new one, or do a 3-in-1 upgrade. If the problem still exist then the 4-in-1 was fine
Have tried a few times to follow VL's tute on setting up the bee's gyro, which calls for the gyro at 0% while calibrating the proportion.

The weird thing is that while doing this setup on my turn-table I can get the tail to stay still but at different head speeds the tail will wander dramatically. Like the tail it's not really "proportional" :quote: to the head speed.

I'll have a look at the inside of the 4in1 and make sure everything is seated ok.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
Still running stock tail unfortunately. As I gotta pay for shipping to australia am waiting to find one vendor with all the DD gear I wanna buy actually in stock.

Okay, the reason why I ask if you were running the stock gear tail setup is because sometimes in a crash, when the tail hits first the two small plastic posts on the tail rotor that locks the tail rotor to the plastic tail gear will severer off (break). It is really easy to miss because the tail rotor is still press up against the gear, but when the tail rpm start to go up the rotor will start slipping and cause the tail not. No saying this is your problem, just something easy to rule out.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
Okay, the reason why I ask if you were running the stock gear tail setup is because sometimes in a crash, when the tail hits first the two small plastic posts on the tail rotor that locks the tail rotor to the plastic tail gear will severer off (break). It is really easy to miss because the tail rotor is still press up against the gear, but when the tail rpm start to go up the rotor will start slipping and cause the tail not. No saying this is your problem, just something easy to rule out.
Yeah the blade pegs were severed in that crash but I put a new one on already.
In the middle of another tear down. Repositioning all the wires.

Hopefully the problem will sort itself out but if not I'll have to look into new electronics.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the tail is wandering (slow hunting) then it sounds like your gyro is dead as DVD already mentioned. When my 4in1s gyro died thats exactly what happened.
Try everything to make sure before buying another 4in1 or an external gyro and doing the hack.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steemo, I meant to ask why your anti rotation bracket is MELTED!?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My guess is a big, silicone sealant repair!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
Steemo, I meant to ask why your anti rotation bracket is MELTED!?
It actually does look melted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
My guess is a big, silicone sealant repair!
Close, it's CA and thread
It's magical I tell you!
Parts start out broken and end up good as new!!!
Of course they end up looking melted
Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet-Lama View Post
If the tail is wandering (slow hunting) then it sounds like your gyro is dead as DVD already mentioned. When my 4in1s gyro died thats exactly what happened.
Try everything to make sure before buying another 4in1 or an external gyro and doing the hack.
I'd rather spend money on the HHG hack then a new 4in1.

I do have a few more things to try:
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a whole heap of DD gear from buzzflyer, they actually have CP3 rotors AND motors in stock
I'm gonna wait till they arrive and see if that fixes it.
Either way my bee's gonna look cool, splashed out for the CNC tail box and CF fin set
Would be better if it looked good while flying, not just while sitting on my bench

Thanks for all your help everyone, I don't know what I'd do without all of you willing to take time to share your knowledge and experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in