Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BASH !!

Made a fatal error today , flying with my new FL head by the way which is so smooth and quiet I lifted up off the ground in NORMAL MODE, and cruised off did a few smooth circles and went inverted , still in Normal Mode , all proud of myself how quiet and glass smooth it is sitting there this huge ominous thing up in the sky, and go to do a full negative pitch climb with pyro and blaaaaaa, motor dies, it was far away it took me a few seconds to realize I lost power, autod down as best as I could from where it was, head had slowed down too much landed harrrrrrrd on the skids mind you. Just too much weight coming down too fast

Blown to pieces, I can't believe how much damage it is. frames, skids, boom, canopy, lower frame piece, all blades, etc etc. Not worth fixing. No pics. Too sad. oh well, move on. Don't forget your to flip out of normal mode after you take off geeeeeez
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear, i did that once but saved it and got rid of normal mode all together. Just initialize in hold
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes I USED to do it that way, for just this reason, I felt more secure lifting off in a full governed mode but then I thought what if the hold switch fails on the transmitter I don't have a second safety.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LOL I did the exact same thing but didnt crash. Luckly enough I had the spool up rate high enough in the castle to avoid the ground by about 5 feet. After that I just use throttle hold and bailout for autos.

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As unlikely as a failed TH switch is, I'd think that you could trust your transmitter failsafe...

Place the heli on the ground (land) at full throttle, transmitter off, heli spools down.

Seems like a reasonable backup for an incredibly rare possibility. Better than risking a simple human error to causing a crash. The switch is probably 1000x more reliable than the human toggling it.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
As unlikely as a failed TH switch is, I'd think that you could trust your transmitter failsafe...

Place the heli on the ground (land) at full throttle, transmitter off, heli spools down.

Seems like a reasonable backup for an incredibly rare possibility. Better than risking a simple human error to causing a crash. The switch is probably 1000x more reliable than the human toggling it.
Or, you can just set your normal mode to flat 0% Throttle curve
X7F#1-Xnova 4530-525, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
X7F#2-HK4525-520 LE, HW 160HV V4, MKS X8 Servos, Mini Vbar
suthae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya there are many ways of doing it, I was just in a zone when I came off the ground, I was staring at my new new fl head swash and mixing arms, everything was glassss smooth. My normal mode, is a 0,30,30,30,30 throttle curve on castle giving my a governed head speed of about 1650 I wanna say I have it set at. I was doing the smoothest figure 8's I've ever done, the sky was perfect, there was zero wind, perfect comfortable temperatures. Remembering I was in normal mode was even further lost when I was hovering upside down with the stick just below 50 glass smooth, could have taken my hands off the controller and had a coffee ! oh the pain....
Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think a lot of us have done this at one point...then we get rid of normal mode!!
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthae View Post
Or, you can just set your normal mode to flat 0% Throttle curve
Or just buy a tx with more channels and have 2 throttle hold switches. That's what I do. Both switches will cut power independent of each other.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It can never happen again, ever. I have set up now for flat 30, 70, and 100 throttle curves and I still have 2 kill switches. The throttle hold, and I assigned throttle cut to my left rear most switch similar to throttle hold but on the left side of the transmitter.

The unfortunate thing is this is on my Goblin, my 800 is rest in peace. Price to repair it is beyond unreasonable I refuse to pay that kind of money for Align mediocrity. Such a shame I so loved that bird.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went through a similar scenario with my 800. Thrashed almost everything. But I'm like you I loved its presence in the air so much I had to fix it. I think it was in the $650 range but it's back up and better than before.

Jeff B.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its gonna take a while for me to get over it. I've sent friendly emails to align and their reps just asking nicely why are 800 prices so much higher than 700 when the parts are almost the same. Just eat static no responses. LHS is stuck in the middle he understands my stand and is grouchy I'm buying everything but Align as thats what he sells most etc. But no problem for me !

I'd already have a logo 800 xxtreme underway if they had a better lookin full fuse for it as its just huge ! I love the big machines so whomever brings the next beast I'm there !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in