Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thunder Power TP820CD charging problem

Hi everyone.

I just purchased the TP820CD charger recently and I am having troubles when charging my JR TX battery (only battery I've charged with charger at this stage). The battery is an 8s 1500mAh NiMH 9.6v battery. I have tried charging it several times (out of the TX) and it never charges anywhere near full capacity and my TX goes flat within an hour or two of use. The battery does get warm at the completion of the charge so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Stats are, Discharge set to 0.9v per cell
Delta Peak set to !0mv (was at 5mv)
Charge rate 1C 1.5A
Charge time 13min
Completed charge batt capacity 343mAh
Output voltage 11.22v
Voltage peaks during charge at about 12.1v

Not sure if the battery is stuffed or a problem in the charger settings? I bought the Tx new about 6 months ago. I am looking at getting a Life Tx battery at some stage but still would like to know why I'm only getting a charge of around 340mAh out of my current NiMH battery.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

SLL
Scoobalimalima is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Only on my phone, so have to be kinda brief. But basically, you just need to start with some reading on charging NiMH.

1C (1.5A) is much too fast. 1/5C to maybe 1/2C tops is the fastest you want to go.

Leave deltaV at 5mV for now, not 0mV. The lower you set that, the sooner it stops the charge.

Discharging first is a good idea, to help understand what you're putting back, vs rated capacity. I typically use 1V/cell, myself.

You can also just do a slow, "forming" charge. Not a bad idea with a new pack, to help equalize the cells.

For better or worse, NiMH charge very differently than LiPos; I find them trickier to charge, the rules aren't as cut-and-dried as with LiPos.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the info.

Yes, I probably should of done a bit of research first and read the charger manual entirely before pulling my hair out but your advice has solved my problem.

I changed the charge rate to 300mAh and it gave me a full 1500mAh charge, (I naively assumed that a 1c charge rate was the lowest I could do, before reading the charger manual properly).

Btw, that was a typo last post, I meant 10mv DP not !0mv. I have it set to 8mv now and it seems to do the trick.
Cheers.

SLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobalimalima is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in