Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Hitec Aurora 9 Radio Videos

OK so Hitec sent me the Hitec Aurora 9 radio to do setup videos with, etc. I do have to say the radio is well laid out, has a good feel, and you Futaba guys should have no problem getting use to the menus. It's got a touch screen and some pretty good features! So far I am liking the radio a lot! The feel in your hands is MUCH better than a DX7 and is right there with ergonomics to my X9303. While it doesn't have the capabilities of higher end radios it damn sure has more capabilities than my X9303 and for sure a DX7. I do like very much it's menu system and feel in your hands.

NOW... I know some are going to ask me about the latency thing. I will get to that at some point as I have not installed it in a model. I am going to get the videos done first before I do. SO PLEASE... do not PM me or ask about this topic until I get a chance to use it OK please?

Anyway on with the show!

Video Link ->What's in the box and radio overview (81 Megs)

Video Link ->Stick Adjustments (44 Megs)

Video Link ->Touch Screen and Menu System Overview (67 Megs)

Video Link ->RX Overview and Power connections (81 Megs)

Video Link ->Binding the RX Normal and Scan Mode (87 Megs)

Video Link ->Pro's and Con's of Scan mode vs Normal mode AND some anomalies of the LEDs??? (57 Megs)

Video Link ->Setting Failsafe and why it is important! (47 Megs)

SOFTWARE UPDATE!
The next two videos are about the new 1.07 / 2.0 software update!
Video Link ->Upgrading the Aurora 9 , module, and RX's (80 Megs)

Video Link ->Whats new in the 1.07 / 2.0 Software update! (63 Megs)

WARNING! Be careful when using the SPC port and using 2 lipos in series with one balance connector to the SPC port. How you hook them up is IMPORTANT! It can BLOW the RX if you do it wrong!
Here is a video showing why. FYI this is also a common problem that can happen to balancers when charging 2 packs in series!
Video Link ->WARNING! Don't short your SPC port with 2 packs in series! (63 Megs)

Sorry for the delay all.... Finally got a chance to do something with this radio and some videos!

First up.... A hidden feature of this radio!
Video Link ->COOL! A hidden area of your A9! (18 Megs)

OK on a serious note..... Some more meaningful videos!

System Menus:

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - System Menus Part 1 (48 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - System Menus Part 2 (48 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - System Menus Part 3 (87 Megs)

Model Menus:

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 1 (27 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 2 (92 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 3 (98 Megs)

Sorry for the delay but videos now continue. It's been a long while since I shot videos so my experience level dropped a little. I found myself babbling or repeating my self a lot. It is what it is so sorry if it is not up to expectations. BUT if something is unclear please let me know and I can and WILL shoot follow up videos if needed.

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 4 - Pitch and Throttle Curves (146 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 4b - Pitch, Throttle Hover Trim & Pitch High/Low (78 Megs)

The gyro menu took 2 videos to cover. It can be as SIMPLE as you want or super complicated... I say KISS (Keep it simple stupid) but I spent the time to cover every aspect of understanding HOW the gyro menu works and what it means to TRUE gain to your gyro. Again if something was not clear.... Let me know!

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 5A - Gyro Menu basics (120 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 5B - Gyro Menu advanced and tips! (99 Megs)

I am jumping ahead to Throttle Cut menu before covering Throttle Hold Menu. The reason for this will be obviouse once you watch Throttle Hold menu.
Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 6 - Throttle Cut Menu (75 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 7A - Throttle Hold Menu (77 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 7B - Throttle Hold with a unique Throttle Cut capability (27 Megs)

Sorry.... DANG IT. I forgot to prop the radio up so the reflection of my face was not over the screen . I will try like heck to remember to do that next videos. Again sorry about that.

OK the Swash Menu. 2 videos. One short one covering the basic swash menu and another covering the Swash Calibration menu. The swash calibration menu is very powerful but also vary strange to understand what it does. The calibration video is large! 150 megs. There was a lot to cover and explain. I hope this videos helps you to understand how it works. If not let me know what else I can show if I missed something.

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 8A - Swash Menu Basics (32 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 8B - Swash Calibration Menu (150 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 9 - Revo Mix, Servo speed, Swash>Throttle, and Rudder>Throttle (61 Megs)

OK for the governor menu I thought as part of this I would do a new 101 learning video. This would help understand the gov menu for just about any radio as well as how governors work. So with that here is Governors 101

Video Link ->Governors 101 (100 Megs)

On with the radio menus

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 10 - Governor Menu (66 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 11 - P. Mixes (33 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 12 - Needle and Mixture Menus (76 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Model Menus Part 13 - Throttle Lock (26 Megs)

WAIT! Got a request for a video. But whats this? Switched Inverted? What the heck is "switched inverted"? It's an OLD SCHOOL way of flying inverted! It's how it was done 20 some odd years ago. I tell you, you just can't teach some old dogs new tricks
But I wanted to see if it could be done so..... I figured it out. Here we go! Hope you enjoy them Ed (Ed is the guy that asked).

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Switched Inverted Part 1 - Intro, What is it? (43 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Switched Inverted Part 2 - Old School curves and Reversing Pitch (72 Megs)

Video Link ->Aurora 9 - Switched Inverted Part 3 - How to reverse Elevator and Rudder (88 Megs)

Thats it folks! I hope you enjoyed the series. Let me know if there is something you want me to cover in more detail and also expect a build video using this radio to come!

Enjoy,
Bob
crackup007 and rishig like this.

Last edited by Skiddz; 11-10-2019 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: "Fixed" video links
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
OK so Hitec sent me the Hitec Aurora 9 radio to do setup videos with, etc. I do have to say the radio is well laid out, has a good feel, and you Futaba guys should have no problem getting use to the menus. It's got a touch screen and some pretty good features! So far I am liking the radio a lot! The feel in your hands is MUCH better than a DX7 and is right there with ergonomics to my X9303. While it doesn't have the capabilities of higher end radios it damn sure has more capabilities than my X9303 and for sure a DX7. I do like very much it's menu system and feel in your hands.

NOW... I know some are going to ask me about the latency thing. I will get to that at some point as I have not installed it in a model. I am going to get the videos done first before I do. SO PLEASE... do not PM me or ask about this topic until I get a chance to use it OK please?

Anyway on with the show!

Video Link ->What's in the box and radio overview (81 Megs)

More to come soon!

Enjoy,
Bob
Thanks (for this review and topic) hope you like it, i really wanted to get that but ended up buying a futaba 8fg so i cant wait for you to compare to other radio like futaba 10c, let see how things go. I do want to ask even if you said not to ask anything since you burly got it but do you know what model are you going to use with this hitec radio?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No sorry I do not yet. The Fury 55 will use the airtronics radio.

Hitec also sent me a set of their new 8V servos so my next build will basically be all hitec.

Bob
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really looking forward to it Bob, I was a hardcore Hitec Radio fan for many many years but they took to long to go 2.4 i went Speckturm with the DX7.... My father owns two of the eclipse 7's He ordered a new one when i found out they stop making them. with the new radio it looks nice and love the touch screen but have heard a few having issues with the touch screen maybe it was just a lemon it happens

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No sorry I do not yet. The Fury 55 will use the airtronics radio.

Hitec also sent me a set of their new 8V servos so my next build will basically be all hitec.

Bob
Thanks Bob i'm looking forward. Their new 8v servo, is it brushless?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hot off the camera griddle..... Stick adjustments has been added to the list.

Bob
Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice how to's Bob glad you have one of these, Ive been looking very hard at it.

This review may be the thing that opens my wallet.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good so far, Thats cool how you can adjust the tention w/o opening the case up why couldn't everyone do that!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been wanting this radio since it's introduction, but been waiting for a heli review. Thank you Finless!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Another video HOT off the camera... Touch Screen and Menu System overview!

Again it is now listed in the first post.

Enjoy....

Bob
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Oooops....

Hey Bob, I can't get the touch screen link to open

"File does not exist please contact the systems administrator"

Mel
Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Been a long night and I f'ed up the link. Try now please and let me know.

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Been a long night and I f'ed up the link. Try now please and let me know.

Bob
Finless do you have conclusion yet compare to futaba 8fg, futaba 10c and such? It seem that you already been using this radio for a bit. Sorry if its to early to ask. But thanks for putting out videos that quick. By the way you're links is working now.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might want to mention about some of the updates coming in 1.07.

1. being able to set custom voltage alarms for each model. i.e balancer lead to rx SPC port will give you voltage readings upto 8S. (great for us electric guys - no more timer)
2. Mute all the beeping.
3. Touch screen calibration
...etc
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffect View Post
You might want to mention about some of the updates coming in 1.07.

1. being able to set custom voltage alarms for each model. i.e balancer lead to rx SPC port will give you voltage readings upto 8S. (great for us electric guys - no more timer)
2. Mute all the beeping.
3. Touch screen calibration
...etc
Dude.... I got this from Hitec and Mike Mayberry. If he does not give me the latest or clue me in on whats coming... I can ONLY do and show what I have. If you are privy to updates, etc... I obviously am not. My videos will show what I have at this time TODAY. Sorry to sound like a negative person here but if updates are happening as I shoot this stuff.... I would think Hitec would clue me in?

I will call Mike and see if I can get "clued in" to whats going on.

I am a little out of place here having worked with many manufacturers before and now having a user tell me about things I should know. Sorry... I can only tell what I know and what I am told on whats going on.

The bottom line folks... This radio seems to have a BUNCH of BS politics and other things going on all over the internet. If I am going to get BS and harassed about just showing people how to use the radio and enjoy it the best they can, I am just going to say F it and send it back to Hitec... I don't need the BS and all the stuff going on just to show people that bought the radio how to use it! That is my goal and NOTHING ELSE! Please do not try to drag me into anything else.

Geffect... I would love to talk about "whats" coming in a new software release ONLY IF Hitec tells me that is coming and I can talk about it. They have NOT shared that with me so it's the BEST I can do man....

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Geffect... I would love to talk about "whats" coming in a new software release ONLY IF Hitec tells me that is coming and I can talk about it. They have NOT shared that with me so it's the BEST I can do man....

Bob
Sorry, I didnt mean to offend!!

I love your work.

I simply read about the 1.07 updates on rcgroups and rcuniverse. I think the 1.07 update sounds good and thought Hitec would have informed you about them and was simply offering a friendly suggestion/remindered. Seeing that Hitec hasnt do what I assumed they had done I can understand where you are coming from..

Your time and effort is highly valued by myself and the rest of the HF community, and I extremely grateful to you for the information you have provided and the work you have put into your videos..

Cheers
G
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Geffect, actually sorry for going off a little bit on you. Since I started this and announced I was doing vids on this radio I have gotten all kinds of PMs ranging from "don't lie" and "do this or that" and even on RCG been
"quoted" as to saying something I never did! WTF????. It has been a little discouraging. Not your fault for sure but it makes me a little weary as to what the hell I have gotten myself into? Why is there so much controversy on a radio that actually seems pretty decent?

Because of that I decided to just show HOW to use the radio and help people and not get into the BS that seems to be going around on this radio. I really don't care about the "stuff" going on and being talked about. I just want to help people learn to use it on a heli.....

Anyway with that said, Hitec has not shared with me any updates coming or anything like that. I will see what I can find out and will share that with you all as best I can.

Thanks Geffect for understanding!

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't worry about all them Finless, I love your videos and so does everyone else. My father test's chargers and batterys and always a few jerks who think he favors one over the other cause of the brand. it always be like that keep up the great work.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks Bob

Bob Thank you for doing a vid on the aurora 9 as i fly helis or should i say try to fly and i and many others that own the aurora thank you for helping us with this all some radio Thanks
tomrinkevich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob, THANK YOU!!

I really appreciate you doing the video. I have the radio and had to have someone else set up the heli for me because I couln't figure it out. I set-up 9 planes with no problem but I am new to heli's. If it weren't for your CCPM videos I would not even be flying my Trex.

I love my A9 and at least 6 people I fly with have switch over after seeing it, feeling it and flying with it. So something must be right about it.
Fierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in