Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pissing me off!

**BEGIN RANT**
I haven't even flown the damn thing yet, and I'm dying to, but the little F'er is pissing me off w/ it's "issues" I'm having already.
I just spent 40 min. trying to get my gear mesh right w/ no luck. I'm using the 2025-4200 and when I tighten the screws down the f'in motor shifts back! It looks like the screw heads have dug into the fram a tad and making the motor angle backwards. WTF?? Gonna pick up some washers tomorrow and see if that helps. Unless ya'll have any better ideas for me?
Then the 4 little screws holding the tail boom clamp...I'd like to f'in punch the moron that came up w/ the idea of using screws that don't even reach all the way thru the nuts! Again, WTF?!? Would it have killed the a$$holes to use screws like 3mm longer? God damn it I'm getting pissed!
This little f'er better fly like the dickens or I"m gonna use our 20 ton press on it at work.
**END RANT**
Sorry for being pissy all. Just really frustrated and tired of spending a lot of $$ on what I was thinking was gonna be a nice rig. Only to find a lot of half ass design work. Just makes me think the people/company were lazy and f'in cheap and it's not right to charge people top $$ for shit ass work.
j
StrangeRanger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey J,

Believe me I understand your frustration.... Did you use the short screws to mount your motor (the ones that came with the shogun that held the stock motor in place) ? If not, you may be bottoming out your longer screws. I found the screws that came with the Hi-Max were way too long.

Yes, the whole tail of this little beast is a fiasco. I thing spening the $75 on the belt drive upgrade would be money well spent.

If I didn't want something that I could get stick time around the house, I would have sold this beast the minute I opened the box.
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

ya, used the shorter screws. that's not the problem. and even if you go belt drive i think you still have tail boom issues. That mounting area doesn't change i don't think.
j
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

The Zoom is fun to fly because I don't have to drive 50 minutes to fly it, mines down right now because I wanted to keep the nitro machine in the air, it'll be fixed soon enough though with a couple of minor changes. The shaft drive tail has been a minimal problem to me in the flights I've had.. (Other than trying to take off from grass the first time, but that was my mistake )

Definetly use small screws to keep the tailboom from sliding out of the clamps and tail gearbox from sliding off the tailboom if you keep the stock tail drive system.

I had a hummingbird FP before and the zoom is a piece of art compared to that. All of these micro-helis require a little more head scratching than a nitro heli to get them running.

Give it a little more time before you squoosh it.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

don't sqoosh it!!! give it to me!!

patience. some nice washers will prob solve your mesh problems, and as for the tail boom clamp, just a drop of threadlock should stop em from coming loose.
fabian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, you aren't the only one tearing their hair out in clumps!

I've been trying to install the belt drive for the tail rotor thinking it would solve all of my problems. It's really turning out to be a headache. I keep finding more and more things wrong. I've been seriously considering just buying another airframe and giving up on the old one.
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Rob, this is Rob.... hehehee :mrgreen:

If you saw me without a hat, you would know that I have no more hair to pull out, but I am getting close to getting this little bugger flyable.... I hope.

Hang in there !
Old 09-09-2004, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, it's another day and I'm a little calmer. Stopped by my LHS (that's Local Hardware Store where I live, no hobby shops), and amazingly enough they actually had some little 2mm screws/nuts/washers!! I was stoked to find them. So tonight when I get home I'm gonna put the screws to it (pun intended) and see what happens. I still gotta find some little tubing or something for my rx antena. Don't know what else to do w/ the damn thing.
Btw, if this little f'er isn't flying tonight it will get squashed. No way after all this frustration would i give/sell it to someone. It will pay, Ohhh believe me it will pay for my frustrations :twisted:
Wish me luck ya'll.
On a side note, being new to these little spawns of Satan, I've been doing endless research and readhing and googling etc. I'm thinking of compiling a newbies guide of sites, links, pointers, do's/don'ts etc etc. If anyone would care to help w/ ideas or pointers or links etc. please let me know. I'll start compiling all the crap and try to whorganize it.
j
Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If anyone would care to help w/ ideas or pointers or links etc. please let me know. I'll start compiling all the crap and try to whorganize it.
I've been trying to put an FAQ page together for these things. Let's get together (virtually, of course) and compare some notes. It might help some folks out. I see a lot of the same questions being asked and it'd be nice to point everybody toward the same answers.
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey J,

Found a problem(s), but the little beast "breifly flew".

When you use the Hi-Max motor, the pinion gear contacts the bottom of the tail rotor gear.... well the stock motor contacts the top of the tail rotor gear..... guess what....

Your tail rotor turns backwards !!! WE (RCPlylon) and myself almost pulled our hair out this afternoon trying to figure this one out. Finally looked at the tail rotor blade and spun the main rotor blade.... guess what..... backwards.... Aaaahaaaaa!

So..... to correct, I will probably pull the tail rotor gear and reverse that gear and all will be well in the Shogun world. With the HiMax the motors main shaft isn't as long as the stock motors shaft, so it doesn't stick up as far and the pinion doesn't contact the top of the tail gear, it contacts the bottom. It looks to me the easiest solution is to do the above mentioned. I will accept any ideas????

Also I had some problems with lack of range and glitching, I changed my antenna to a "stub" type antenna and routed it away from the Li-Po and that corrected that problem.

This is a "Hit-n-Miss" type heli.... electrics are a whole new beast ! hehehee

This stuff is FUN !!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

http://www.zoom-heli.net/

Everything you will ever need to know about a zoom

Of course we know you now so we're more friendly towards you here hehe.

Take your time with it, and if you decide it must be squooshed, I'm in dire need of an unsquooshed frame
Old 09-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Naww Sar, it has redemed itself (so far) and will not be squished. It actually flew last nite for a couple minutes. Lots of tweaking to do, but it flew.
Charlie, I noticed that problem too. Fortunately I noticed it while putting my Himax in. I didn't bother flipping the tail gear, I simply used 680 loctite and have the pinion sticking up off the shaft a tiny tad. No worries mate, it's not going anywhere.
j
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

What turned out to be your tail rotor problem?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

Hey glad tyo hear you go it working StrangeRanger, kinda fun once they're running! The pinion I uses is a longer one that someone was selling and that lets me run the standard gear setup as well.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like I said above Rob/Charlie...I have no idea what the problem was. I didn't change a thing. It just worked when I got home from work and powered it up again. That's what makes me nervous lol
j
Old 09-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

It was the threat of squooshing that made it behave
Spitfire_mk5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in