Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Backwards

I'm having more trouble learning to fly backwards than anything else. Anyone have any tips? I'm using the Reflex flight sim with my old Esky TX . I'm getting much better at head-in orientations but flying backwards say in a circle is always a sure crash for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Piezo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Read this: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=248284

RaZa does an excellent job of explaining it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks 3D, I had already read that post. I was hoping that there was some other "trick" to learn that orientation.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd recommend first of all to try to fly backwards on a stright line, then stop, rotate and fly opposite direction (lazy circle if you wish). Keep doing this until you are comfortable. Eventually, you'll see that instead of rotation, you'll start catching more circle movement at the end of every 'leg'.

Good luck!
Heli_KV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Golden hammer" I've got is to learn slow (controlled) pirouettes. I solve everyone's problems by pointing them to learning slow pirouettes! O: )

Learn them and flying backward, forward or constantly pirouetting won't be a problem for you. And by slow I mean 6+ seconds per rotation...
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
"Golden hammer" I've got is to learn slow (controlled) pirouettes. I solve everyone's problems by pointing them to learning slow pirouettes! O: )

Learn them and flying backward, forward or constantly pirouetting won't be a problem for you. And by slow I mean 6+ seconds per rotation...
I've been learning backwards flight with my 500 by doing almost lazy circles, and also homeing in on my circle flying by flying forwards for a half circle, then at the '12 oclock' and '6 o clock' positions changing the direction, i.e., flying forwards the kicking the tail round the fly backwards then back again. Really great for building confidence and will hopefully lead to a further advance in orientations and piro circles etc.

Just takes time!
dani_rose is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Clicky,
I have been practicing flying slow left and right pirouettes for weeks now. It has helped me tremendously but I'm not seeing how this helps me in backward flight.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will definitely try the other two suggestions about flying circles and rotating the heli and thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piezo View Post
Clicky,
I have been practicing flying slow left and right pirouettes for weeks now. It has helped me tremendously but I'm not seeing how this helps me in backward flight.
Thanks,
Jim
Oh, that's easy. Just do slow pirouette - stationary, if possible... then, just add tiny back elevator. Since you're confident in pirouettes, you only need to continue doing them. Slowly! Helicopter is going to drift backward while you're doing a pirouette - and by the time you finish whole revolution - you would, pretty much, finish whole tiny circuit. Backwards! And, shall I repeat, as you are confident in pirouetting - tail of heli being slightly lower won't unnerve you and you would be able to lower it more and more. While doing it - you'll get bigger and bigger, and faster circuits (not talking about too big or too fast ones) and same, if you slow your pirouette and keep small back elevator - you'll get big and slow circuit (hm. maybe better start from that one). While you doing them, if you start adding a bit of aileron (that will come naturally) to tilt rotor disk to inner side of the circuit - to stop helicopter from drifting too much out of circle, you'll stop adding back elevator and even start adding forward one to slow it down... And - voila! Those are your backward circuits!

PS backward circuit rotating to one side, then backward circuit rotating to other side (CW vs CCW) and you have figure of 8. If you now how to do figure of 8, and keep up with steady CW and CCW backward circuits - you can fly backward. Am I right?

Oh, one more - if you do it in wrong order - first fly backward circuits and then learn to do slow pirouettes - you could end with heli suddenly stopping and you panicking what to do next as heli is in strange orientation going to unnatural side and... Oh, well - at least those were happening to me... Until I learned slow pirouettes! Ask me why I'm, now, insisting on doing them inverted?! And how far I am in flying backward, because of inverted slow piros!
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Clicky,

Thanks for that. I cut and pasted into a text file. Will see if I can put it to good use.

I must admit between having to get up at 5:30AM to get to the field before all the dog people show up and then crashing my bird doing what I do routinely on the sim has really shot a hole in my confidence.

Jim
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Backwards

Learn the Controls

Start Slowly

Battery Care Means Longer Flights
francisfleming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in