Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mini v-bar 5.0 vs Total-g

Mini v-bar 5.0 vs Total-g ?

Looking to get my first FBL and as you guessed it I narrowed it down to these to. The unite is going in a T-500. So what makes the Total-g better then the new(blue) mini v-bar ??? Or is the V-bar better???

I am also posting this in the mikado v-bar form.
Thanks
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully I'll be able to report on the comparison this weekend. I'm by no means a terribly experienced pilot (I do mild 3D, big air maneuvers, etc.), but I did just finish swapping out the Mini V-Bar (with 5.0 Express) to a TotalG.

As far as software and setup is concerned, the Mini V-Bar wins hands down. While the TotalG isn't difficult to set up, the Mini V-Bar was brain-dead easy. I believe improved setup software for the TotalG is pending soon (but Mikado set the bar very high, IMO).

Additionally, with the exact same mechanical setup, I cannot get the 12-14 degrees cyclic the TotalG instructions call for, and just barely get 14 degrees collective (this is with Aileron, Elevator, and Collective gains maxed to 50/50/54 in the software). With the Mini V-Bar, I could get enough cyclic to bind the swashplate against the mainshaft (moved blade grip balls in one hole to get it just perfect w/o binding).

I'll post back once I get the TotalG in the air.
Audball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

did you max out your atv's to 150% for the +/- 14? if so you might try longer servo horns to move the balls out a touch to get a bit more throw.

i noticed i got a bit more throw on my full size vbar than the total-g allows but on my t-rex 700 i still managed to get around 13 degrees with my balls on the inner holes on the 3G wheels. after setup to 13 degrees i dialed down my pitch atv's to get +/- 12 degrees of collective and the heli flies perfect. i don't come close to hard 3d so i don't see the need in my case to have 14 degrees.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I had ATVs at 150. I ended up moving in the balls on the blade grips for the TotalG; however it's unfortunate that was required, as the heli was setup perfectly fine prior with the Mini V-Bar, and it didn't requred any changes for throws.

I managed to get the TotalG setup well enough for a few flights today, following the new "detailed instructions" available from the CY website along with the new v1.01 software and updated firmware. It definitely mentions some important steps which the guide in the box didn't mention. The only issue that remains in flight is unwanted back elevator during piros. Feels like mechanical interaction, but it's definitely the software.

I had zero issues out of the box with the Mini-V and needed to tweak nothing after following the (much much better) software setup procedure. It terms of usability/ease of setup, I'd say Mini V-Bar 5.0 > Skookum 720 > Align 3G > TotalG. (I've personally done the V-Bar and TotalG, and saw the SK720 and Align 3G at the flying field today). Other heli pilots in my club have the same opinion.

So... long story short, after my experiences today, I'd give the nod to the Mini V-Bar with 5.0 - *if* you don't need to mount the unit sideways (the Mini V-Bar can only be mounted parallel with the boom).
Audball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FBL heli observations on a very windy day (25+mph gusting to over 35) - Total-G, SK720, and Mini-V 5.0's.

SK720's - No odd behavior in flight. Smooth consistent control, and the tails seemed perfect. I personally didn't fly one, but of the 2 that were at the field they all worked just fine. No tail issues even on low head speed helis (600 running 1700 rpm).

Mini-V's 5.0 - Flight control was also good, but the tails were terrible. On 4 electrics (a 550, 2 425's, and a 325mm bladed helis) and a single 90 sized nitro, they all were slow wagging all day, even in a stable hover with the nose into the wind. The guys were adjusting gain up and down all day with them to get them to stop (unsuccessfully I might add). In normal flight, they handled the winds well.

Total-G - Flight control was good also, as were the tails. On 2 electrics (a 425mm, and 500mm bladed helis) they worked great, and the single 90 nitro flying one was dead on. My personal machine (the 425mm electric) only Ill manners was bobbing up and down in FF, but that was due to the gusting affecting transitional lift. I do want to try some heavier blades on the heli (currently flying Radix 435's), but I was very comfortable in the winds today.

It was a day made for FBL helis due to the poor conditions, and Id say they all performed about the same, except for the V-Bar's and their tails (really odd). If it were one or 2, Id say it was down to setup, but all 4 machines were off so I dont know what to think...
Ecaf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecaf View Post
FBL heli observations on a very windy day (25+mph gusting to over 35) - Total-G, SK720, and Mini-V 5.0's.

SK720's - No odd behavior in flight. Smooth consistent control, and the tails seemed perfect. I personally didn't fly one, but of the 2 that were at the field they all worked just fine. No tail issues even on low head speed helis (600 running 1700 rpm).

Mini-V's 5.0 - Flight control was also good, but the tails were terrible. On 4 electrics (a 550, 2 425's, and a 325mm bladed helis) and a single 90 sized nitro, they all were slow wagging all day, even in a stable hover with the nose into the wind. The guys were adjusting gain up and down all day with them to get them to stop (unsuccessfully I might add). In normal flight, they handled the winds well.

Total-G - Flight control was good also, as were the tails. On 2 electrics (a 425mm, and 500mm bladed helis) they worked great, and the single 90 nitro flying one was dead on. My personal machine (the 425mm electric) only Ill manners was bobbing up and down in FF, but that was due to the gusting affecting transitional lift. I do want to try some heavier blades on the heli (currently flying Radix 435's), but I was very comfortable in the winds today.

It was a day made for FBL helis due to the poor conditions, and Id say they all performed about the same, except for the V-Bar's and their tails (really odd). If it were one or 2, Id say it was down to setup, but all 4 machines were off so I dont know what to think...
good wprk thanks for some great info keep us in formed please it is wind where I live all the time, so this info is perfect!
lavaandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ecaf, only thing odd with your report is the tail comments on the Vbar, not close to being common. I don't want to hijack thread so please post your issue you claim in V forum so some may attend to make that go away.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Ecaf, only thing odd with your report is the tail comments on the Vbar, not close to being common. I don't want to hijack thread so please post your issue you claim in V forum so some may attend to make that go away.
Its not my issue. If the V-Bar guys want to post, Im sure they will.

I had the T-G and it wasn't affected by the wind.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got to agree that the instruction for the Total G needs to be fixed. The instruction should be similar to the instruction for the ENV, which is totally awesome. As such, the ease of use goes to Vbar. I've got one more Total G to set up this week. I'm going to keep notes and add them as addendum for future references.

I was only able to hover my friend ENV Electric with Total G yesterday due to darkness. I'd hope to do some flying this week and to fine tune the system and to compare it to the Vbar 5.0 Pro.

Btw, my personal ENV with Vbar 5.0 Pro is rock solid, even in strong windy conditions, which is normal for the field near the house in the afternoon. If the guys are having problem with the tail, they need to adjust a few parameters in the expert tab instead of just playing with the gain.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is funny. I have had small tail issues with the SK720, but VBar has been very solid on the tail.

Back to the thread. I starting to get my Rave ENV with Total-G dialed in, and my last flight yesterday we started to get high winds from the tropical storm moving in, and the Total-G was solid. I have not done any hardcore backwards flying with it yet, but it is looking good.
jbdww is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As I said guys, they were not my helis, so I cant comment on what they were or were not doing or if they accessed the "Expert tab".

All I can say, is that the T-G worked outta the box with zero tweaking other than stop gains on a VERY windy day.

I didnt do anything on mine, and I spent more time flying and no time chasing a tune....
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

FYI There are very detailed instructions for the Total-G available online now. Here is the link to them. let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

http://curtisyoungblood.com//TotalGS...structions.pdf

Brian
Buzzin Brian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beast X
FurryTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TotalG

TotalG
ncarbon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

TotalG
jbdww is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flew a BeastX today, liked it, but I like the T-G better I think.

Could have been setup on the BeastX tho. Seemed like lots of expo.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default They all are great system!

They all are great systems! if you set up them right...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in