Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by questerng View Post
Hi,

Just to share what I've found out that could help in flying circle..

1. imagine there's a clock facing the sky in front of you.. You'll have your 12 furthest from you, 6 closest to you.. and 3 is on your right side and 9 is your left side..

let say we start flying upright CW..

2. start with nose facing left at 6 hovering.. fly to 9 and have the heli facing front when you reach 9.. hover there for a moment..

3.From there fly a to reach 12 with the nose facing right when you reach 12.. hover for awhile..

4.Then fly to 3, and when you reach 3 your heli should be nose in.. hover there for awhile

5. finally fly to 6 again.. you should be back to where you start off..

you will need to fly like your are making a turn to achieve the desire result.

this exercise will help you to orientate all the different turn from all the diff positon.. ( or at lease it help me..) before you know it you'll be flying in circle..

once you get your upright down.. try tail, inverted nose and inverted tail..then try CCW..

Hope this help

Merry Christmas to all..

quest
This was the prefect visualization for me to help me get my head around it. Thanks!
vertwake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say Realflight instructor is that something on their forum or on the actual SIM theres a instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
I'm using RealFlight 5.5

Hovor: No problem.
Nose in: Can do it in my sleep.
Flips: No problem.
Land Anywhere smoothly: No problem.

Circles: What the hell?

This is VERY hard for me. I'm trying to perform low level circles over the runway. The flight instructor on Realflight makes it look so easy. He just says "Point the nose down and move the rudder slowly". Yeah right.

Any tips? I know, just more practice I guess.
JC PAINT WORKZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about 5.5 but back in 3.5 there were recorded flight lessons with voice instructions to step you through some key learning points.
wwaller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default circles

as you are moving forward lean the heli to the right ad slight left tail rotor pull back on cyclic ( a little ) and accelerate. some left cyclic will be added as you begin to turn,practice makes perfect. remember trial and error.THANK GOD FOR THE SIM !!! imagine what the crashes would cost without it???
bchrny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

circles
as you are moving forward lean the heli to the right ad slight left tail rotor pull back on cyclic ( a little ) and accelerate. some left cyclic will be added as you begin to turn,practice makes perfect. remember trial and error.THANK GOD FOR THE SIM !!! imagine what the crashes would cost without it???
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchrny View Post
circles
If you're flying forward and upright making a right circle, you'll need right rudder unless you fly with the tail reversed. True, the tail will MOVE left (nose right) but the input on the stick will be right so both sticks move in same direction or "co-ordinated" turn with upright forward fligh.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

right nose , left tail , notice the reference (left tail )= right nose - double mindedness , sorry for the confusion
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I figured that's what you meant, I just wanted to make sure the stick motion was confirmed that's all. I knew where you were going
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep looking up brother !!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
LN400, thanks for the response. I think I might need a bachelors degree in physics to decode your reply.

I will be practicing the sim.
I did. Loved it, but I needed my physics book.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi guys.

I learned to fly circles like this:

1). First, I flew in the simulator around me. I turned after the helicopter. This allowed me to feel and understand how to fly a helicopter.And I was the center of the circle.

2). When I flew around with confidence, I moved the imaginary center of the circle in front of me. And after 8-10 flight I was able to fly in a circle. And then a few hours of training in the simulator to consolidate skills.

Sorry for my English.
Canusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban92 View Post
fly it like a plane.. add rudder to track tail with nose
Yes and no. In an airplane you add rudder and "center the ball"-then the turn will proceed coordinated as you keep the angle of bank constant with aileron. In a RC heli-you MUST keep the rudder input in to keep the tail turning-in an airplane(at least one you are flying IN holding the rudder would result in a skidding turn.

Circles require a delicate balancing act-holding the rudder command constant through the turn with very little aileron command and constant attention to the elevator. Without good rudder control, I find you'll end up flying sideways without the nose turning THOUGH the turn. MUCH,MUCH harder with an RC Heli than in a real airplane.

Arclight338 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I pick up this old thread

I have some problem flying circle
I fly heading hold mode on the tail

Do hold the rudder input the complete circle or do give same rudder input and then the rudder stick back to neutral ?.

Thanks
marco.m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco.m View Post
I pick up this old thread

I have some problem flying circle
I fly heading hold mode on the tail

Do hold the rudder input the complete circle or do give same rudder input and then the rudder stick back to neutral ?.

Thanks
You need to keep some rudder in the whole way around the turn.
If the tail starts dropping you don't have enough rudder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in