Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set up the BL Nano with Dylans HP03SEP 16600 kv "wild" and the Astroid CFK frame parts.
It is quite similar in performance as my previous "Frankenstein" motor.
Got very good flight results with (warmed up) Hyperion 240 mAh batteries outside (0° C): 4 minutes power, 5 1/2 min flight time.
Indoors I did not get much longer flight times with 300 mAh 45C mCP x batteries.

Still use the tiny Hextronik 2g outrunner. Because it shows slight tail blowouts with KBDD blades, I tried the good old Xtwin blades (from mCP x 7 mm tail motor times); but they are no improvement.
Will mount the HP02t now; hope not to have to use the big RRC/Plantraco props on this tiny helicopter.

Anyway, mounting the HP03SEP was quite a pain.
The shaft in my Oversky motor was kind of clipped - so it did not have a smoothe end; additionally it seems to be very soft; bent shaft two times when trying to mount pinion; additionaly also damaged pinion a little bit.
Did not have those troubles before (with as long and as thin shafts in my motors); maybe only bad luck.
And maybe thats the reason now, why this Nano is by far louder than my other BL Nano with Frankenstein motor (I think, it could be the pinion).
I think, it is not very easy to mount motor with pinion and plastic ring and adjusting gear mesh - by gluing the motor to the CFK base plate.
It was quite a pain to do this - but I managed it.
But what do do when I want to remove motor, change pinion...?
Break and glue again...

I would very much like to have a base plate from Dylan as this one, but with room to mount other motors and to mount those motors with screws - and also to be able to adjust gear mesh this way.

Anyway, it works well so far - but it is not a very easy job (to glue the motor with correct gear mesh).

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #182 (permalink)

Did you try Gov ARM mode yet? With a deep v curve for the tail, ppl are reporting good, solid tail hold with the stock boom/motor.

As I understand it, a brushless tail motor won't have the same speed as the brushes version. But it has plenty of torque. To make up the difference, ppl run the larger tail rotor like the RRC. So you might not be able to away from it.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Did you try Gov ARM mode yet? With a deep v curve for the tail, ppl are reporting good, solid tail hold with the stock boom/motor.

As I understand it, a brushless tail motor won't have the same speed as the brushes version. But it has plenty of torque. To make up the difference, ppl run the larger tail rotor like the RRC. So you might not be able to away from it.
Hi,
yes - I do nor run Gov arm mode.
Everything is ok.
I only do not yet want to put a huge RRC/Plantraco prop on that tiny heli.
Will try HP02t next days, and then maybe the big props.

Anyway, everything is fine as it is, ... not a perfect tail, but fine

Walter
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my setup working! 3.5A ESC and HP03SE 13,500kv motor.

Turns out I had the BLHeli settings wrong. I didn't know it needs reverse signal polarity, so it behaved rather surprisingly at first

Anyway, got the settings from a thread here, gains on 2, arm mode, reverse polarity, etc. It now works ok, but the motor struggles at high blade pitch, so much so that the rpm drops a lot. The battery seems to drain fairly quickly, too. I only get about 2m30s just hovering.

I tried a few "fixes". Checked gear mesh. It's good. I thought it could be the ESC struggling so I stacked some extra FETs. Same. Thicker wires from battery. Same. 250mAh high C LiPo. Same. With the blades off it keeps its rpm, so there is nothing mechanical wrong, no binding in the swash, etc. Checked the motor resistance, same resistance between all leads.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what could be going on? My power wires go to the ESC first, then to the mainboard. Only thing I can think of is that I got a bad motor....
Oobly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #185 (permalink)

Sounds like you figured out your issue. Blade pitch is too high. You didn't say what you're setting your blade pitch curve to. For Spektrum radios, try keeping the pitch curve below 85 and test if that files well for you.

If you're running er9x firmware instead, then adjust that value appropriately.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still not behaving as it should. It has less power AND less endurance than stock. Maybe I got a motor with weak magnets? Unfortunately I don't have another similar motor to swap and test. I have an HP06s, but I think that may be a bit much...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guy. I couldn't wait for the brushless kit to be available from Astroid so I went ahead and ordered from Oversky.
I am just wondering, is the Astroid's Carbon Frame Braces needed (since they are always Out of Stock)? Anyone's brushless conversion is without it and works fine?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201 View Post
Hey guy. I couldn't wait for the brushless kit to be available from Astroid so I went ahead and ordered from Oversky.
I am just wondering, is the Astroid's Carbon Frame Braces needed (since they are always Out of Stock)? Anyone's brushless conversion is without it and works fine?
I'm pretty sure you need the braces, I know for sure I have read about someone breaking their frame at the top motor opening. I'd try to rig up something similar at least. For the top round piece you can rip the cap off the stock motor, that's what I did after losing it in a crash. I think you could rig the front piece using the battery tray off an mcpx skid. Not sure about the bottom piece.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201 View Post
It'll fly with just the mainboard, the servos and the motor holding it together, but it's good to have a little additional bracing since you have to cut away quite a lot to get the motor to fit. I put a piece of 8mm aluminium tube in the top motor mount to strengthen it.

And..... I put an HP06S in to test with double FETs on the ESC... It has more power than the HP03SE for sure, but I haven't been able to really give it beans yet since I am modding the tail unit.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobly View Post
Still not behaving as it should. It has less power AND less endurance than stock. Maybe I got a motor with weak magnets? Unfortunately I don't have another similar motor to swap and test. I have an HP06s, but I think that may be a bit much...

You're running gov arm mode yep

What's your thr curves and arming procedure?

Amp

Oh, don't go hiding your Variable pitch tail'd HP06s Nano
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2744

Last edited by Ampdraw; 12-06-2012 at 01:17 AM..
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wait till you guys see what AEO came up with for the Nano:eek:

From tapatalk
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Wait till you guys see what AEO came up with for the Nano:eek:

From tapatalk
And when might we find out what that is? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you think of this besides the price?

http://shop.ep-models.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4800
wlvn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you, guys, think of this?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvn View Post
What do you think of this besides the price?

Heavy. Tail motor mount looks familiar

From tapatalk
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
meanwhile I tried the M5 motor from Hobbyking, 11000 kv; the similar 14000 kv is out of stock for already a very long time, but I wanted to try the type of mount in the Nano with Dylans CF base bracket.
Mounting the motor does work very well (clip a part of the mount), using a base plate of an old mCP x frame glued on the CF plate (anyway, a bracket with room for mounting other motors would be fine, Dylan ).

But the motor is horrible.
It does not run well.
I tried a 9-t pinion first, because of only 11000 kv (had to cut the skid-mount a little bit for this, otherwise the pinion would have touched it).
Performance was very, very poor - worse than brushed motor (tried batteries from stock 150 to 300 45c).
Tried a 7 t pinion - the Nano does not even take off

Played around with settings of ESC (XP-3A with changed mosfets, BL heli flashed), no success. My other motors run well with this board/ESC.

I do not know the reason, the M5 is made for mCP x and should have enough power.

Donno what I did wrong, donno if I have a bad motor, but so far I cannot use it.

Anyway, the way of mounting would work well in the Nano, too - and give the possbility to adjust gear mesh.

Walter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M5-1.jpg
Views:	2361
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	371910   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5-2.jpg
Views:	2188
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	371911   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5-3.jpg
Views:	2160
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	371912  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anybody tried the HP05 on this little heli with a different ESC?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out the brushless conversion on this one.

http://shop.ep-models.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4794
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got back from 5 flights this morning and I'm noticing that the motor bogs, not very bad at the beginning of the flight but after 45 seconds or so it becomes much more noticible, especialy when I'm doing tic-tocs or back to back flips. Trying to figure out whats going on, I have zero pitch at mid-stick, only running 75% travel, and I'm currently running 90% flat on my TC. My batteries seem fine so maybe my pitch management skills just suck, even with the wild bl motor I would still think that pitch management would be necessary, correct?
jlink125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvn View Post
Check out the brushless conversion on this one.

http://shop.ep-models.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4794
Actually, here's a better link with the step by step:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yahata76/55088134.html

It's a good alternative. But I think Dylan's setup will be less weight. Just the motor alone is less weight. Then Dylan's spacers work very well, and doesn't any anything to the weight.

The solution above is great, in that it adds extra support to the frame. But also a bit more weight. I think the PCB board of the servo itself gives good structural support already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in