Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HH Brushless Now Tail Really Blows Out

So my original motor died after 60-80 flights (quite a while eh). Half of those were in the last week so yeah I wasn't really kind to it. I went ahead and ordered the brushless setup from HH. It was easier to install then I thought.

Problem now is with the extra power the tail really blows out and it has actually become harder to fly. Are there any tricks or tips to helping resolve this issue?
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is probably a vibration issue. Very common when upgrading to brushless.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went witha tail from the mcpx. Took care of it.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea tail motor could be tired too seeing as your main motor failed already.

Get the MCPX V2 tail replacement. Comes with a longer boom and motor already installed. It's a plug-'n-play swap. The longer tail gives it more mechanical gain. I also went with a Lynx stretched tail rotor (can't remember if it's 42mm or 47mm... I have an nCPX and MCPX BL so I get confused on that part still) and with stock sized main blades and pitch travel limited to 80% both directions fixed my TBO. Only time the tail isn't happy now is when I have vibrations.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok so I'll go to the LHS and get a Mcpx tail and motor. Is it easy to install?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure its an MCPX v2 tail.

Unplug the connector on the board (near top right had side of board (right hand side of the heli)) with the green/red wire, unwind it from the canopy post, and pull it out. Grab hold of the boom, and grab hold of the frame right there the boom goes in, it may take a bit of force.

Install it the same way it came out. Have some needle-nose pliers ready to reconnect the new connector. I think it had a 90° bend in it that may or may not need to be "relocated" to make it clear the servo.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hate to burst yawls bubble but the mCPX and nano tail motors are exactly the same. The mCPX just has a longer boom. You can make the boom longer yourself for about a third of what Blade charges for a mCPX tail and have tail booms to spare.

You can run a stock tail motor set-up on a HH brushless or a AD mild set-up with no blow outs. It's all in the set-up and making sure everything is dialed in.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I shouldn't have the same settings as the stock brushed?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
I hate to burst yawls bubble but the mCPX and nano tail motors are exactly the same. The mCPX just has a longer boom. You can make the boom longer yourself for about a third of what Blade charges for a mCPX tail and have tail booms to spare.

You can run a stock tail motor set-up on a HH brushless or a AD mild set-up with no blow outs. It's all in the set-up and making sure everything is dialed in.
I never claimed it had more power. It's simply a plug-n-play "stretched tail" kit. His motor is more than likely getting tired, so with the v2 tail assembly he gets a new motor and more mechanical gain.

After seeing how it flies I'm sure the OP might opt to get some solid carbon and start making his own. But the mcpx v2 tail kit he can get, install, and test all in an afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemn615 View Post
So I shouldn't have the same settings as the stock brushed?
You more than likely want to reduce your pitch travel, at the very least.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatVWguy View Post
I never claimed it had more power. It's simply a plug-n-play "stretched tail" kit. His motor is more than likely getting tired, so with the v2 tail assembly he gets a new motor and more mechanical gain.
Ah! I just thought by stating, "Make sure you get a mCPX V2 tail" that there was some difference between that and a mCPX V1 tail and nano tail. Not that you can buy any complete V1 tail motor assemblies anymore. I have heard that before as though there was more to gain from a V2 version. Misinterpretation on my part I suppose.

As to coleman615 question about my set-up comment. I wasn't referring to TX set as much as to mechanical setup. Yes there is a pitch taravel adjust you should make as previously stated but you need to make sure the heli is mechanically sound and everything is balanced properly that you are reaching for higher headspeeds. The higher you go, the more vibrations are amplified and the more your tail will give you fits. There have been many nano's changed over to a mild brushless conversions, using aftermarket tail motors with more power then a HH brushless kit, that have no tail problems using a stock nano tail. It's just a matter of how you build it and then do the fine tuning.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed on tuning and tx setup. I had a bit of a long road with my nano to get the tail finally locked in. A longer boom and preferably solid is a good first step. Balancing blades makes quite a bit of difference. Isolating your board with o rings seemed to help my heli by lessening vibes to the board.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I decided to upgrade a few things. First I dislike the spindle so I am getting the heavy duty one from extreme productions along with the dfc setup.

I went ahead and ordered some lynx blades main and tail. I really like the neon orange its easy for me to see. I also picked up a fiberglass canopy since the stock one is brittle. If none of this works I might stretch it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stretch tail with stock sized main blades did the trick for me....

The Xtreme spindle is nice.. I never bent one... But I think that's got more to do with the fact that the blade grip breaks where the control arm threads in if you accidentally breathe on it with your head cocked slightly to the left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in