Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios > Hitec Gyro/Servos

Hitec Gyro/Servos Hitec Gyro and Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
How about you research it yourself? If me saying that it's bad and should be avoided at all cost isn't good enough, why should you saying that it's perfectly alright be good enough? I think I've provided a link from a verifiable source with years of experience that said exactly what I did, no subtrim unless it's absolutely impossible to avoid. I followed that up with my experience that stated that in all my helicopters I haven't needed it. Logically, what does that say? There are dozens of threads why subtrim should only be used as a last resort after all other attempts have failed. Personally, in the 11 helicopters I currently own and the 2 I previously owned, no subtrim was ever used. How can you explain that? Two words, equal travel or equal throw. You're point is that subtrim should be used to center the arm, while this is may be it's intended purpose, I have found in all the setups that I've done that I've never needed it. This proves that using subtrim isn't a necessity or even a regularity. I know other pilots who don't use it at all. If the people I know, myself included of course, don't need it, why do you suppose it is that you endorse it and they don't?
Fun, Learning, Friendship, and Mutual Respect????????????

You are the FIRST person, in any thread I have seen that says DO NOT USE subtrim.

Nobody here has ever said, me included, has said just use subtrim. But to get it as close as possible, then use subtrim for the last little bit.

But if you have the time and are an*l enough to try hundreds of servo arms, go far it.

I am OUT OF HERE.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hope he's comming back..........
antennahead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Fun, Learning, Friendship, and Mutual Respect????????????

You are the FIRST person, in any thread I have seen that says DO NOT USE subtrim.

Nobody here has ever said, me included, has said just use subtrim. But to get it as close as possible, then use subtrim for the last little bit.

But if you have the time and are an*l enough to try hundreds of servo arms, go far it.

I am OUT OF HERE.
I'm all about Mutual Respect, but when you challenge me to provide you with some sort of explanation, in effect saying that I don't know what I'm talking about, seems kind of on the edge there. I suppose my advice isn't good enough, take it as you wish.

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

OK, so how about those of us that don't have hundreds of servo control arms or wheels to try and find the perfect one? I can usually find one that gets pretty close, but end up having to use a few "clicks" of subtrim to get the arms set properly before I ever dive into setting the head up.

Are you suggesting we go buy more arms to try and find the perfect fit, or just not use subtrim at all?

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting. Out of all the replies posted in thread, three -- maybe four -- were about the Hitec servo programmer.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windbreaker View Post
Interesting. Out of all the replies posted in thread, three -- maybe four -- were about the Hitec servo programmer.
Yes, and the ironic thing is that you are the one who unintentionally introduced the subtopic...

Quote:
This sounds like a very useful device to get the servos to a perfect center point. Right now with the Futaba 6EX system there's no sub trim. So you're stuck with having the servo arm slightly off if the splines don't align just right -- and they often don't.

The problem with the programmer is that it's only good for Hitec digital servos and costs $150. That's why you don't see many. For comparison, Spektrum's (new) Programmer costs only $25. I run Hitec servos on my helis, but paying $150 for something I'll only use occasionally seems a little steep. It would be OK for a club if several used Hitec digitals.
rotary65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's nothing wrong with using a little bit of subtrim to help center the servo arms. Especially when working with small helicopters like a trex 450.

It's off putting to read someone state that others have to search to the ends of the earth for the perfect set of servos and horns so that you don't NEED to use subtrim. And that subtrim use is NOT OK.

The burden of spending more $$ to obtain perfectly matched servos, and with regards to mini/micro servos, we tend to be restricted with the choice of horns contained in the package anyhow.

I won't argue that a perfect mechanical setup is desired, but a heli can fly well even if subtrim is used (of course depending how a radio implements subtrims).

We should all strive for the best we can do, and strive to improve it. However there *is* a point of diminishing returns and common sense should come into play.

Most of these small helicopters have so much play in them that the experts who would die before using subtrim wouldn't stand for the other issues in the mechanics anyhow.

There is a point where the common man will say, it's good'nuf.
jwegman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, late entry here, but I went through this thread and didn't find a comment explaining what the downside of using subtrim is.

So, assuming it's the minimum possible with the chosen servo arm, what is the negative effect of having used subtrim?

John
T-Rex 500 CF, stock ESC/motor/rotors, 13T, HS-5245MG, ds760/S9254, JR R921
th3tick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

I recently bought a Hitec servo programmer and have gone over to Hitec servos for this reason. I get it as close as I can with the horns on hand, then center then with the programmer.

Just set it, and forget it, baby...
jgunpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wyn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3tick View Post
So, assuming it's the minimum possible with the chosen servo arm, what is the negative effect of having used subtrim?John
Other then the confusion factor if one forgets it's there, I haven't observed any effect. (If there was an error with the radio's firmware handling of subtrim values, of course there could be some negative affect. But that would be a defect.)
- Peak Low Voltage
- Glitch Counter
Wyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in