Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little progress:

The only thing that worries me a bit are such screws that are spare or I have missed something

Electronics is already wired and prepared for mounting. So need to check if everything is working properly, set it up, tune the heli and fly it.
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I'll try and take a pick later - I now only use 6S packs as the crash that lead to "the Phoenix from the flames" killed one of my 2450 3S packs
Any chance for those pics?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost there - just the tail left...

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice wiring Jack
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now now Mike! I'm sure he plans to fix it up all nice and neat after testing is done.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
Now now Mike! I'm sure he plans to fix it up all nice and neat after testing is done.
Yeah - but you can only be nice to the newbies for so long
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Nice wiring Jack

Mike - is this is the way you put LiPo's?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post

Mike - is this is the way you put LiPo's?
I tend to use 6S now - but that is how I piggy-backed them when I used 2 x 3S on the 425XF frame. Your packs look pretty "chunky" mine were longer and flatter, I also tried them side-by-side - whichever fits best under the canopy is the answer I'm afraid
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those I have are from my T-Sport, Turnigy 2200 mah, 30C.

BTW: what is this part really for?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's for the tail pushrod. If you want to go to a direct push (from inside the frame.. whic I think you have done), or tail mounted servo or use the CNC seesaw to get a better tail response than the stock Z bend pushrod then you need to cut the stock tail pushrod and be able to join the two ends in a straight line.

Look at this pic - check the tail pushrod
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...7&d=1279026287
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, thx for the explanation. Guys, your knowledge and help is invaluable. I trully appreciate.

My rod is straight, but from the very brief review it looks like I will not have to cut it as it should fit as it is. I have also bought the one with curve (Z bend as you called it) just in case

EDIT: actually after thinking it twice - I might cut it anyway - without the cut it should be fine for the 0 degree tail rotor pitch, but if I would like to set it like Futaba suggest (mechanical no drift) than I will need ability to change it's length...

Rudder neutral position adjustment
(1) Set transmitter revolution mixing (pitch->rudder) to 0% or OFF.
(2) Set the transmitter gyro sensitivity switch to the AVCS position. First, turn on the transmitter power, then turn on the gyro power (shared with receiver). Since the GY401 initializes the data when the power is turned on, set the rudder stick to the neutral position and do not move the helicopter for approximately 3 seconds.
(3) Switch the transmitter gyro sensitivity switch to the normal position. At this time, the monitor LED goes off. Lift off the helicopter and hover and adjust the rudder neutral position with the transmitter trim lever. Large rudder neutral position deviation may require readjustment of the fuselage linkage.
(4) Set the gyro sensitivity to the point just before the helicopter tail begins to hunt.
This completes mechanical neutral position adjustment. Land the helicopter and set the gyro to the AVCS mode. When flying, the power must always be turned on in the AVCS mode and the rudder neutral position read each time.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nah. It's a 401 right? If you have a stock tail pushrod setup then you'll probably need 15 or 16 on sub-trim max to get a stable hover in rate mode.

If you are using Spektrum then MAKE SURE that you rebind after setting up rudder neutral... not sure if this is the case for Futaba FASST as I have no direct experience.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is DONE (almost)

Got all the setup, blades balancing, etc.... and immediately went out and do the test hovering. I set the DX6i tail servo reverse wrongly... he he - you know what happened

After fixing this small glitch got it up in the air. Just for few sec and few inches as even gyro is not mounted as it should be

Now - one thing that I don't know - ESC (std Gaui 50A) - do I have to program thro min. and max. or not? If yes, how to do that?

I'm so exited, like I was 5 year old and got new toy

EDIT: ok, got the ESC manual - done.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent! Congratulations... now just woirk thru the rest of the tuning and get ready to have some FUN with the Hurri.

Oh... and tidy up that wiring a bit or Mikej will be on your case
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, so did some test hoverings last nigt... and have a tail wag. Simple gyro gain doesn't work, so need to investigate a bit more
Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure that your tail slider moves on the tail shaft as smooth as butter. Also check that rudder link bar moves smoothly through the supports (they need to be in line) and that the clamp for the horizontal fin isn't too tight as this can cause wag as well
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately - can not get away of this tail wag. It was supposed to be fun

Checked the tail slider - it is as smooth as you can think of. Rudder link bar as well. I'm only not sure about this horizontal fin clamp - should it be loose or just not as tight as it can be? Anyway - tried everything and no progress. It looks like it is just fine... but it is not apparently...

When I go down with the gain to 53% (from suggested 65%) then it is almost ok...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check tail belt tightness... I've heard other folks say that they like to hear the belt slap the boom but IMO this is WAY too loose. Make the tail belt tighter....
I suspect that having it tighter minimises the risk of gears 'slipping' and also reduces the risk of static build up.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Belt checked. Tried with more loose and more tight setup – no diff if you ask me…

I have an unfortunate feeling that the nightmare just started. I will be stuck in searching for the cause...instead of moving forward.

The recent observation: when I really loose the clam Mike is mentioning the whole tail vibrates - very high Hz, small amplitude, rater horizontally (the end of the tail is moving within about 10 mm ampliyude). The very end of vertical fin vibrates like hell as well. You can see it quite easily. It is like... vibrator

I'm only guessing that such vibrations can mislead the gyro, which in consequence can generate the tail wag. If yes - where to search for the reasons? It is brand new kit, so...I'm lost.

Was just thinking about removing all blades (main and tail) and see how it goes without them. Are those vibrations there or not…
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can see vibration on the tail then you need to sort thatout - work out where it is coming from.

Try different tail blades... or check the balance on the tail blades.

What gyro are you using? Is it a 401?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in