Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Are my mAh calculations flawed ?

Hi all,
I just got a 2500mAh battery to replace the 700mAh ni-cd in my futaba TX.
The sticker on the 2500mAh battery says to "charge it for 14/16 hours at 250mAh"
So does that mean that using the 70mAh charger the 2500 will take up to 57.15 hours to charge ?
What would the maximum "C" rating for ni-mh batteries ? (can you get fast chargers for the TX ?)

Also, I have a charger kicking about from an rc systems minicopter, It's 9v and 350mAh, would this kill the pack ? ( either by being .6v to low or 100mAh higher than recommended )
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

No the 70 mah charger will not have enough power to fully charge the 2500 mah battery. It could be used as a charger to trickle charge the battery all the time.

Yes you can fast charge TX batteries. Some transmitters have a diode that prevent charging the battery while it is in the TX. If you use a charger that has to read the battery. You will have to take the battery out of the TX to charge it. If theTX has a diode installed.

Yes the 9 volt charger would NOTt work well charging the 9.6 battery pack.
David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 2000mAH TX battery I picked up at RCX 05. I needed charging the other day, so I popped it onteh Triton at 2A charge rate (nice 1C), and it took 149 mAH. Hmm, this doesn't make sense, so I hit it again and it took another 149 mAH, Ahh, at least consistancy.

So I dropped the chrage rate down to 0.5A and it took 1000 mAH. Dropped it to 0.2A and it took almost 600 mAH. So after 4 charges it took just under 2000mAH.

So not ALL high cap TX batteries will take a fast charge.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Nickle Metal Hydride batteries need to be cycled several times before they reach rated capacity.
When I have bought and used Nimh cells. I charge and discharge them several times on a cycler before I use them. The first few times cycling them, they get closer to the rated capacity each time. Finally after several cycles, they will exceed rated capacity by a few hundred mahs.

David
Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

These have been cycled. They just don't seem to like to be fast charged.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes there is certain batteries that do not liked to be charged at 1C or higher. The charger will usually false peak due the heat build up in the cell.

David
Old 10-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had to do something about the TX charge time so I bit the bullet about a week ago and got a Multiplex LN-5014 charger.
Like lots of 'um these days it does everything I need and somethings I didn't know I needed, like when it cycles a pack it lets me know how much power it put out ( the original 700mAh pack only held 550 mAh on the first cycle, by the 4th it was up to 720 !!! ). The 2500 pack charged in 10 hours ( had three flights + a lot of testing on it so far and its still reading over 10 volts, with the old one the second flight always had to end early when the TX starts bleeping at me )

All I need now is a 3 cell balancer for for it and then I can use it on the lipo's to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in