Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main gear warped.

Started my build today and after installing the main shaft, gear and pully with the shims specified in the manual, my main gear would rub on the bevel gear from the gear box. I noticed the main gear has a nasty wobble. Took it apart and removed the one way from main gear, put it on a glass surface and determined that the gear is warped. I re-assembled with an added 1mm shim(as well as the .5 shim) above the pulley and removed the 1mm shim from between bottom bearing block and gear.
This gives me clearance from the gearbox gear.
I'm concerned about motor gear mesh with this wobble.
Anyone else experience this?
FLYGUY 11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't use it. My experience is the mesh has to be as close to perfect. Especially with the pinion support now, I believe the chances of stripping the gear or wearing out a bearing prematurely would significantly increase. Don't do it....
10pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY 11 View Post
Started my build today and after installing the main shaft, gear and pully with the shims specified in the manual, my main gear would rub on the bevel gear from the gear box. I noticed the main gear has a nasty wobble. Took it apart and removed the one way from main gear, put it on a glass surface and determined that the gear is warped. I re-assembled with an added 1mm shim(as well as the .5 shim) above the pulley and removed the 1mm shim from between bottom bearing block and gear.
This gives me clearance from the gearbox gear.
I'm concerned about motor gear mesh with this wobble.
Anyone else experience this?
I had the exact same issue, and did the same thing to resolve. just trying to get rid of a little tail wobble now.
JamesGreen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a pic and vid but having trouble uploading for some reason.
I will post them as soon as I can.
Never expected to have such a warped gear!
I have had this with my 600se before but not nearly as much as this.
I can't convince myself to use this gear and I'm a bit upset.
I guess I will order another NEW gear and continue the build once I get it.
I feel I should contact mikado.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhR6CqXgt8&list=UU6ML7EGtB4-8WliIMJd0bRw&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
NTM
Registered Users

You can true the gear up to a certain extent by using threadlock on the gear to hub bolts and tightening them progressively until you have no runout.
Exact same thing is done with the logo 600 gear, there are detailed instructions in the 600 forum.

The recommended shimming order didn't work for me either though, even with a trued up main gear. If I put any shim at all between the one way hub and the third bearing block, the main gear would rub the tail drive gearbox pulley.
NTM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the procedure for fastening the one way as I have used mikado for a while now.
I have tried re-installing the hub 3 times now and end up with the same wobble every time. You can see it even with the hub removed from the gear.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

post on the mikado xxtreme forum, see what they say.
JamesGreen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Herringbone pinion will keep that gear surprisingly level. Hook on motor and pinion you'll see. Being a triangle the force is across the entire surface.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I realize the pinion will keep it level but they do fight each other where the gear is warped.
I would feel better just ordering a new one.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem, it doesen't really "fight" at all, it centers it with ease Like I said you can mount motor and pinion and turn by hand or power with blades off and see for yourself as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure it will centre when turn by hand but totally different story at 2000 rpm under load, from an engineering point of view its looking for disaster, espescially heringbone where once the v is damaged gear is gone, i really dont get it why a company like mikado cant get it right with the gear, on the 600 they were never round, so you had a high and low spot. Now i know many blame it on being a molded gear, thats also rubbish, even my e720 gear runs as true as a machined delrin gear. Reason its not straight, either their mold is rubbish in which case all would be warped or the parts were removed from the mold too early or handled before they settled, just plain bad qc, seems now everything made in China! They should replace the gear no questions asked
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would try the old Trex remedy, put the gear in boiling water for 5 minutes, pull it out and onto a flat surface and put a flat surface on top and some weight, once it cools it stays in that shape. Not sure if it works on Mikado gears but always worked on my trex's
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

He'll be taken care of and I never said it was acceptable. What I was saying is it actually won't harm anything I've ran ones way worse on other sizes etc on loaded disc at flying rpm for many many flights with no abnormality in flight or wear, if it were a straight gear or helical it would be more of a concern, herringbone don't care, and trust me I understand the engineering angle very well.

And NO the gear is not made in China and my TT E720 gear wasn't perfect either so why we're pissin on about that comparison not sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro12321 View Post
I would try the old Trex remedy, put the gear in boiling water for 5 minutes, pull it out and onto a flat surface and put a flat surface on top and some weight, once it cools it stays in that shape. Not sure if it works on Mikado gears but always worked on my trex's
That works on pretty much all gears out there yes. And it also can take out small bubbles like it did on my TDR gears. Acts abit as a strengthening process to, many RC cars guys do this.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seldom had perfect gears, but on the other hand, they've never caused us any trouble. But still, nothing as bad as the one in the vid. I bet if you ask, they'll replace it (start by asking RH if they'll replace it, and they'll pass the hit onto Mikado...or something like that). Won't know until you ask.

At any rate, about the China remark. I've been to where the gears are molded, and I've been to the machine shop where the molds are created. Everyone there spoke German

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear Dave, was getting worried here!, maybe they should look at China lol,
Shawn relax my comment wasnt directed towards you, just based on my experience with mikado gears, on the herringbone a warped gear is worse than straight gear because a straight or even helical gear can deal with frictional movement between gears much better, on a herringbone the mere fact that the V now have take the strain of straightening the gear on every rpm places undue stress on the gear.
Botom line for me is when you buy a German product from a upmarket company like mikado you should not accept a remedy to cook gears, except off course if you have a decent sauce to go with it
Oops sorry, almost forgot JUST MY OPINION!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude, you're flying $3500.00!!! Are you seriously considering, even remotely, using or fixing a piece of equipment that could make it a $5000.00 investment? Let's see, $1500.00 crash or you could take my initial advice and don't do it. My experience is filled with wishes of not pushing a bad position. Crappy deal you got a warped gear, my friend. But don't let impatience cloud your judgement. Just sayin'. Unless you actually engineer main gears for a successful RC Heli company, just get a new one. Stolla, good advice!!
10pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replys gents.
NO, I have no intentions of using this gear! These big high powered machines are not worth risking a crash or injury.
I have sent Mikado an email yesterday and waiting on a reply. I hope they understand my situation especialy after paying aprox 2700 bucks for this beautiful machine.
I will post again when I hear back from Mikado.

J
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY 11 View Post
Thanks for the replys gents.
NO, I have no intentions of using this gear! These big high powered machines are not worth risking a crash or injury.
I have sent Mikado an email yesterday and waiting on a reply. I hope they understand my situation especialy after paying aprox 2700 bucks for this beautiful machine.
I will post again when I hear back from Mikado.

J
Contact Ready Heli.
EO19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in