Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob,

In your build video for the tail servo setup you mentioned you set the Spartan for 1520 uSec/333Hz to drive the Hyperion DS20GMD tail servo. I'm giving this same servo a try on my e-Raptor (got mine from Kyle as well -- see sponsorship pays-off!) But if I look at the spec sheet for the servo (attached) it says under the gyro compatibility section that the max frame rate is 270Hz. I'm wondering if you're inadvertantly over-driving your servo. I have the ds760 as well and set mine up for 1520uSec/250Hz based upon the published specs. Do you think running 333Hz is fine though? Obviously it's working for you so far but I'm wondering if it might be degrading your servo life...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro compatibility.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	49343  

Raptor e550 on 10S A123
AMA#: 905445
GatoVolador is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVolador View Post
Hey Bob,

In your build video for the tail servo setup you mentioned you set the Spartan for 1520 uSec/333Hz to drive the Hyperion DS20GMD tail servo. I'm giving this same servo a try on my e-Raptor (got mine from Kyle as well -- see sponsorship pays-off!) But if I look at the spec sheet for the servo (attached) it says under the gyro compatibility section that the max frame rate is 270Hz. I'm wondering if you're inadvertantly over-driving your servo. I have the ds760 as well and set mine up for 1520uSec/250Hz based upon the published specs. Do you think running 333Hz is fine though? Obviously it's working for you so far but I'm wondering if it might be degrading your servo life...
Hi Mike,

Hope you like the servo. I am sure Bob will answer this too but tomorrow I will call the US distributors on this and see if they know anything about it and if and how it will affect servo life.

Kyle
RcSuperSales is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #63 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK for STICK programming of the Spartan you have either 1520us or 760us. You cant program the the Spartans gyro via stick for the Hz value and it is always 333. My understanding and I could be wrong is that most gyros run at 333 hz when in digital mode. The width of the pulse is the 1520 or 760 values. If these are not correct this is what causes problems. E.g. you could not run this servo on a 611 as it uses only 760us unless you sneak into the special menus and change it. Again my understanding is take a 401. In analog mode it is 270. In digital mode it is 333.

Now this is advertised as a tail servo so if in fact most gyros set in digital mode run at 333, then this is not really a tail servo if it cant handle that. Kyle would have to find out from the manufacturer.

I will say this though I have had some damn good pilots fly mine and I have checked the servo for how hot it is when I land. It's not hot at all so I have to assume it is doing fine. I guess I will find out over the long run.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob!

I figured running 333Hz is probably OK but just wanted to check. I forgot to mention I have the FlashLink so, yeah, I had to set it up for 250Hz via software. Still, it would be nice to know from Hyperion if it's "officially" OK to run this servo at 333Hz. I'll probably switch over to it anyways and see how it goes...

Raptor e550 on 10S A123
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcSuperSales View Post
Hi Mike,

Hope you like the servo. I am sure Bob will answer this too but tomorrow I will call the US distributors on this and see if they know anything about it and if and how it will affect servo life.

Kyle
Kyle, were you able to find out from Hyperion if 333Hz is OK with this servo?

Raptor e550 on 10S A123
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main Gear / Pinion Backlash?

Bob, how tight is your main gear to the pinion? I bought a used Phazor 600 that had the frame assembled, but was never completed or flown. I put in the gears and belts, and there is absolutely NO backlash between the main gear and pinion. Just not sure if that's right, and I didn't see any mention in your videos to how tight that mesh was on yours?

I tried loosening up all the screws to the main blocks and pinion shaft blocks to see if they were set wrong, but that didn't help, and besides it doesn't look like there is any room for adjustment there anyways. Any other ideas what might cause the tight mesh (unless it's just normal)?

Thanks!
Jason
WhirlingBladesOfDeath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #67 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hmmmm mine has a very low backlash but it is not binding. If you can spin your main gear freely (with the belt removed for testing this) then I would say don;t worry about it. If it is tight and not allowing the system to spin free then something aint right. This is not adjustable. Is it possible the person that sold it to you put on different gears or something? I don't know if a Raptor main gear is the same as this but maybe something there?

Bob
Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One of ours was a bit tight like you explained, one flight took care of it. David did have a few gears that "grew" a bit when they were heat treated. Give him a call at 800-381-4127.

I would fly it one time, I really think you'll find it loosens up nicely.

Alan
Outrage 550..........Outrage G5........Phazor 600
In memory of: James Archer
wren1702 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to follow up, the gears turned out to be fine. The first few flights left a bit of fine plastic "dust" around the main gear, but it has loosened up nicely. Temps, and flight times seem to be about right.

Thanks,
Jason
WhirlingBladesOfDeath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlingBladesOfDeath View Post
Just to follow up, the gears turned out to be fine. The first few flights left a bit of fine plastic "dust" around the main gear, but it has loosened up nicely. Temps, and flight times seem to be about right.

Thanks,
Jason
Outstanding!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren1702 View Post
Outstanding!
can you give a quick comparison between the 6S and 8S versions?
rotorhead58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead58d View Post
can you give a quick comparison between the 6S and 8S versions?

My son, The "Real" pilot is at band camp.....but......The 8S has soooo much more power that it's unreal. We have both a 6S and a 8S Phazor and they both fly great! The 8S just wins out though, our 6S will more than likely become an 8S in the next year, as soon as we get a larger supply of 8S batteries.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you running the the suggested Gohbee gearing for your 8S setup? Are you using the gov, or fixed endpoints on your TC?

Just curious, because I'm currently running 95-90-95 in idle up, and considering dropping it down a bit. From the videos I've seen, your son is way beyond my flying ability, and don't think I'll notice much difference other than flight time if I drop head speed some. With my current settings, going from a hover to full collective is like watching a rocket take off.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlingBladesOfDeath View Post
Are you running the the suggested Gohbee gearing for your 8S setup? Are you using the gov, or fixed endpoints on your TC?

Just curious, because I'm currently running 95-90-95 in idle up, and considering dropping it down a bit. From the videos I've seen, your son is way beyond my flying ability, and don't think I'll notice much difference other than flight time if I drop head speed some. With my current settings, going from a hover to full collective is like watching a rocket take off.
We're using governor mode, about 2200 HS. After IRCHA we're going to re-gear for a lower HS and hopefully gain some more flight time. We are also using the gearing that David suggested.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #75 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am not at Wren's Son's ability either but I like the higher gearing. On 8S for me I get 5 minutes..... I put back a TAD more than 80% into a FP 4270 Evolight.

Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Verdict?

So whats the verdict? Is this heli a keeper?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so can i run this heli w/ 12S 2200 or what?

if so what gearing is available?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #78 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes you can. Gohbee has a HUGE list of pinions and pulley sizes for just about anything you can run. Contact them and look on the web page as they have a chart for motor KV and voltage which tells you what pulleys to get.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in