Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Motor upgrade problems. BANG!!!!!

Got a JGF 400DH and a Phoenix 25 fro my Zap.When i pluged the battery in the motor beeped so i disconnected it.Plugged it in again,it beeped again and then the connector (JST) blew itself apart and the wires from connector to battery melted.ESC didnt seem to be affected or get hot,hope i havent fryed it. Battery didnt get hot and seemed to take a charge OK.Red and Black wires were matched.What did i do wrong?Araid to try it again!!!!!!!!!
Fazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the motor should give a series of "beeps" to indicate how the ESC is programmed. The sequence of beeps depends on the ESC you are using. Get a manual for your esc and follow the instructions for setup. If the JST connector is the same one you used with brushed motor setup, it is probably too small to handle the amp draw of a brushless motor. However, just plugging in the esc should result in very little amp draw if all wiring is correct. my 400dh pulled a lot of amps and would not start when i had the esc programmed for the wrong number of poles. this maybe the case with your setup. did you have throttle fully closed when plugging in the battery?Are you using a lipo battery?
hueyman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Throttle was off.Battery is eWatts 20c-30c 1700mAh 11.1V 3 cell,ithought it was a Li-Po but doesnt have it written anywhere on it,is it a LI-Po?
To program ESC you have to connect power and im affraid to do that again.Have some connectors that handle 100 amps,shall i put them on and see what happens?
Fazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

11.1 volt is a lipo batt. I would double check polarity of batt wires with a volt meter and match with the esc. wires. If you have a watt meter you can check amp draw when connecting the batt to determine if you have a problem before something fries. That would be your safest bet. 100 amp connectors will work (probably too heavy) but thats way overkill for your setup. battery can't come close to producing 100 amps and the wires. esc, motor can't handle it.
hueyman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are using a Futaba TX, I had to reverse the throttle on the ESC I was using.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in