Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #161 (permalink)

Default Re: Jermo's DX7 Setup Video

[quote="Finless"]This is version #3
All previous version are now obsolete!

VIDEO -> Programming the DX7 Version 3 (63 Megs)

Thanks
soupfin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Soup please remove your link. It's already the first post of the thread.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #163 (permalink)

I did all the settings according to the vidieo .Now the gear switch doesn't shut the gyro light off.The light on the gyro is on all the time.Also in gyro sens in the menu,i have my rate #0:@64% and#1:@64% that is where my tail doesn' bounce back an fourth. My question is.How or what do i set so my gear switch turns the light on my gyro off? Thanks all you Goo Roos....
robetha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't use the Gear switch with this setup. If you want to use normal rate mode just set 1: to a setting below 50. Try 28. Then assign 1: to one of the flight modes, Normal, Stunt, or throttle hold.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great video it was very helpful for a newbie like me.
T-rex 500
autopilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #166 (permalink)

I just finished banging my head against the wall. I'm having a problem with the 401 and 9650 Servo. Well at least I think it's a problem. I'm using a DX7 and have the gyro gain attached to the Aux2 channel. After 3 hours of cussing, crying and pulling what little hair I have left out of my head, I finally got the gyro working correctly. But one problem. My HH Gain is set for 60 and my NR set for 40. The problem is in HH mode with a gain higher than 60. The servo will not center and acts as if it's binding. I know it's not binding because I have properly adjusted the Travel Limit on the Gyro. Anyone else have this problem. Maybe a setting of 60 will be enough for my Trex 450, but after viewing the DX7 video, I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Thanks again for the vids Finless and Jermo.
Socaldan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

The numbers in the video are starting points. You will ultimately need to adjust the gain for best results with your heli. I have one T-Rex450 that runs lower gain that the other. In HH mode the tail won't center. This is normal. Move the rudder quickly 3 times left/right. This will tell the gyro to recall it's center position.

Ultimately you'll tweak the settings to give you the best performance for your specific setup (especially when you start doing FRF). Don't worry about it until you get there
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #168 (permalink)

Thanks Jermo.

I did notice that moving the rudder the 3 times left and right seemed to bring the servo back to center. I just can't imagine having to to that in flight. I'm sure it will all sort it out during my test flights. I guess I shouldn't sweat the small stuff. If a HH Gain of 60 works, so be it.

Thanks again.
Socaldan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

no need to do that in flight. If you set your gyro up using Finless GY401 Video and my DX7 video the only thing different will be your gain setting. You shouldnt'have any isuess unless there's binding in the linkages..etc..
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #170 (permalink)

Hey Jermo - Align and us T-Rex wannabe's/newbies owe you and Finless BIG TIME! Truly grateful for your hard work. My 600 build so far has been an awesome, enjoyable experience, thanks to both of you.

I had a couple of suggestions for complete newbies suffering from "Murphy's" syndrome, like myself. When going through the pitch curve setup on the DX7, it would be helpful to show how the increase/adjust button on the TX works in conjunction with the set points, pitch measurements, and the joystick controls. To me, the manual was not particularly clear about this. Also, it would have been helpful to mention that the GY401 polarity tabs have to be trimmed off in order to insert them into the AR7000. Showing the orientation of the connectors in the receiver would also be helpful.

I assume that the yellow wire of the gain channel connects to the top pin, and the green wire of the rudder channel goes to the top. Apologies if I missed this on another post or in a subsequent version of the videos (I downloaded DX7 v3).

Thanks again.
skyoasis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent suggestion. I will definately cover that in revision 4 still in work. With all the good weather I've been flying/repairing more than flying . hehe..
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #172 (permalink)

I'm eagerly anticipating v4! Hope your "repairs" are minimal.

Also, a close-up or two of how you mounted your receiver/antennae, on/off switch, and safety plug would be really kewl.
skyoasis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do
Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome man...
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #175 (permalink)

Default Excellent DX7 Setup Video

I am new to the site. Been flying my Falcon 3D with the stock radio. Going to be setting up my new DX7 on a 2nd Falcon 3D and your video was very helpful in understanding the radio. Thank you.
thermal7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #176 (permalink)

does the dx7 programe same as the dx6
or can you do a set up with the dx6
dingosrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll do a DX6 vid eventually. My focus is on other things atm..
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 AM   #178 (permalink)

thankyou
dingosrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #179 (permalink)

Regarding not using the gyro setting in the radio and instead using the gear setting.

I read through the history, but didn't quite follow it all. When not setting a channel for gyro you use the Travel Adjustment setting on the gear channel to adjust the gain. What are the pros and cons of each setup? Does the 1.44 rule apply to both situations?
infinity005 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jermo,

I set up my DX7 just like your video, but i'm a bit curious. I mean, it seems like I'm just replicating your setup on my heli, which may not be the best thing to do as I understand that each heli may be different. You also mentioned that those values are just reference values.

Now, being new to heli and all and having problem with tail holding on the ground with my Gyro, I begin to suspect my settings for gyro gain isn't fine tuned. What's with the 32% gain in HH that we all want? What if I go above that and what if I go below that?

I've set up my curves (pitch and throttle) just like how you have it in the video. The issue I'm seeing is that my gyro doesn't seem to hold the tail solid when I'm at 47%-50% on my throttle stick. It seems to release and hold for split second in periodic timing every second or so, which causes the heli to turn quickly about 20 degrees and then stop.(til the next second)

I understand that at that much throttle, I'm sitting at around 88-89% throttle on my throttle curve, and nearly 0 pitch (comming from -2). I'm not sure why it's doing this motion, so I'm trying to narrow it down. As I don't understand the effect of increasing gyro gain and reducing gyro gain, I'm posting here.(I've seen Bob's video and explanations, but maybe i'm just thick... xD)

I should note that, when I get pass that throttle point, the Gyro holds well. In hover, it's VERY still.

EDIT: I forgot to say that my Gyro is the GY401 and my tail servo is S9650.

Tags
dx7, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in