Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters > TRM Power

TRM Power TRM Power - Toxic Al Factory Support Forum Worldwide. Any Product.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My new TT275RC

I am loving this motor already. I am almost done breaking it in...at least the first gallon, I still have 2 more to go babying it, but I am very close to the end of the first when I can start to lean it down a little and begin to have some fun! I have this one very rich for now. way rich. so rich my gov wont work! hahaha. its a pain to sit there and hover forever, but at this point she is so rich I cant do much else or she will die on me. I figure the richer the better for the first gallon. after this I will lean her down a bit. but honestly, who doesn't need a few hours of hovering practice every now and then?... but 2 things have amazed me thus far already at this point.

1 - this motor is smoother during the break-in phase than most any motor I have flown to date has been at fully tuned phase. dead serious, the fuel in the tank sits dead still until the tail snatches due to a strong 4 stroke.

2 - this motor, even the first time I started it, came to life on the first pull. that is impressive to me. I have had several motors tuned perfectly that took 2-3, sometimes even 4 pulls to fire up.

another funny/cool (but aggravating at this point) fact is: I am breaking this motor in through the first gallon at around 1200-1400 hs with needles at L-1-3/8 & H-2-1/8. like I said above, very rich, so rich the gov doesn't want to work. I get 45min a tank out of this motor with these settings. that's crazy! I am running a 3600ma pulse ultra lipo rx pack, I get 1 flight out of it. it is down to 30% after 1 tank.

I may actually lean it down just enough for the gov to work this evening so I can fly some circuits and finish my gallon, but I am still a little reluctant to do that just yet. I am taking the advise of the Toxic team guys, and playing it very safe.

I cannot wait for my test/break-in stand to get finished!!!

Thanks Al, I think this one is a jewel!

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok, so a good ways into the 2nd gallon and she is really beginning to perform very well. smooth, very smooth.... I cant wait to get this motor totally broken in, and turn her up a bit.

then, I cant wait to see how she does with the tuned pipe!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

this motor is doing nothing but maturing and becoming even more amazing and powerful. I am still a good but rich (H- 1-1/2), the low needle is settled in well now at 1-1/8. I will begin to turn in the H needle this weekend a bit to extract some more power. this motor always, and I mean always, starts on the first pull. I have noticed the motor making more power as she breaks in, I am almost done with the 3rd gal, and I can still tell a difference in different maneuvers that she is gaining power. the motor is very smooth, I don't use a v bar or skookum or anything with a vibration log, but I an tell you by watching it fly that it is smoother than any other motor I have flown yet.

I have the motor turned up to 14,100 now, granted its a little faster than I normally spin one without a tuned pipe, but she is still performing perfectly. the motor sounds great too. I don't know if its the modified muffler that Tom made for me, or if its the motor itself, or a combination of the 2, but this engine sounds sweet.

I did take off the cyclone blades that I was flying on it, I am beginning to think that they load the motor up a tad too much in certain circumstances (rolling mostly). i will let you guys know how the swap goes in a later post. i installed rail 696's.

overall this motor is treating me very well. the needles are settling in very nicely. starts very nicely, and has a good large usable powerband. fuel consumption is good too, i will report more on this as i get the motor tuned in a little better. smoothness in unmatched by any engine out there.

great engine Al, i cant wait to install the tuned pipe and wake her up! well, i mean i kind of have to, but i sure don't want too!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

getting stronger and stronger every day. doing tick tocks now perfectly, good long rainbows too. speeding up the hurricanes now, almost full speed with no bogging! I have her turning 14,200 at 2100hs and loving it. still a little rich, turning the H in every flight a tad until she gets where she needs to be!

amazing to me how quickly this motor recovers. after a long rainbow snapping to a stop, its almost immediate. I mean literally the HS is back up with tons of power ready to go before the heli even gets settled into the stop well. I know this also has a lot to do with my collective management getting better than it used to be, but this motor is also much much faster on the recovery than any I have tried yet.

I am noticing it getting even smother as I am leaning her out too.

still loving this motor Alan, you did it right with this one!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

another great weekend with this engine. i am beginning to push it hard now, hard as i can. i am waiting on my goblin kit to install it and put the pipe on it though. i am using a plug that is pretty new, so its hard to read it. thus i am leaving it a good bit rich for the time being. i was able to bog it once on a insanely fast forward hurricane, but i am sure that is only bc it is way too rich.

i also bogged it a good bit when i totally dumb thumbed a piro flip. here is the amazing thing here though....so i dumb thumbed the piro flip, almost went in tail first, bogged the motor saving it, still had full positive pitch trying to get away from the ground, as soon as the heli leveled out, the engine recovered in what felt like .1 of a second..probably more like half a sec, but it was extremely fast...with full pitch still applied. great strong motor.

this engine sounds wonderful. just different than the others i have flown. i cant explain it. when its loaded up it really sounds great.

i replaced my cyclone blades with rail 696's and it is much happier. the cyclones would be great for sport flying, but with 3D its just too much load on the engine. the rails i am much more used too, so i may be bias to them. the rails do much better with big air type stuff. cyclic is also slower with the cyclones than with the rails.

i can do repetitive full piro flips, or constant aileron rolls with this motor in this HelixHeli platform, and it doesn't bog. i executed 5 aileron rolls constantly across the field with no bog at all, it loaded up, but didn't bog. i cant wait to get this engine in the goblin!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

motor is still pulling strong. I installed the QD pipe, and WOW! is all I can say. it will hold a stationary funnel with full cyclic throw as long as I want it too. that is insane for any gasser I have flown yet. I am taking it easy until IRCHA now, no need to burn such an amazing engine this close to IRCHA!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey buddy, wait till you get your Goblin flying! Mine is getting to the point of your HeliXheli. Because of the gear ratio, you need to run a bit higher head speed. I'm at 2050, thinking of uping that to 2100-2150 area. But I'll wait a few more gallons worth.

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnut View Post
Hey buddy, wait till you get your Goblin flying! Mine is getting to the point of your HeliXheli. Because of the gear ratio, you need to run a bit higher head speed. I'm at 2050, thinking of uping that to 2100-2150 area. But I'll wait a few more gallons worth.
I cant wait for my goblin! this motor is now installed in my prototype HelixHeli, just waiting on a few more parts for the maiden! this prototype may be a strong contender for the Goblin, I don't know, I cant wait to be able to fly both and see the difference first hand!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...prototype HelixHeli?...
I did the Trex700n conversion using the HelixHeli kit. The build was fast and the kit was nice...however... I wasn't impressed with flight characteistics. To me it seemed more like a 3D trainer. What I noticed most was the overal height, it was taller than the nitro version.

Are you bringing this prototype to IRCHA?

Citizen 654
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I did the Trex700n conversion using the HelixHeli kit. The build was fast and the kit was nice...however... I wasn't impressed with flight characteistics. To me it seemed more like a 3D trainer. What I noticed most was the overal height, it was taller than the nitro version.

Are you bringing this prototype to IRCHA?
yes. and don't worry about height, its nowhere near as high as the older kit. its also looks like it will end up lighter, maybe 4-6oz lighter. the geometry is MUCH improved over the last version as well, no geometry hurdles to jump through to get straight links, they are straight as an arrow.

I am sure the goblin will be more efficient, but for a gear driven heli, this conversion looks nicer than any of the others I have built, flown, or seen.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

WHAT A FREAKING MOTOR!!!!! I am loving this engine. I just thought I had it running strong.....

ok, so I have been very impressed with this engine from the beginning. it has had much more power than my 270, and taken everything that I have given it. I met up with Tom at IRCHA and he was looking it over and we discovered that I had a small air leak on my carb I really thought I checked for air leaks, but obviously I either missed one, or one developed with time. we fixed this air leak up, and let me tell you, that motor is a beast now.

a full 12.5 degree full collective forward, or rear loop, and no bogging at all. she loads up and sounds great, but absolutely no bogging at all! tic toc after tic toc, an no bogging. its just amazing to me. and so much smoother now. the air leak is what was causing my fuel to not want to sit still in the tank.

I couldn't be more impressed. and along with the great new HelixHeli design, man they are in tune with each other.

keep an eye out for my build thread on the new HelixHeli conversion kit I am flying. it is a great improvement over the original design.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

so maybe someone can help me understand this one. I spoke with Tom about it and we still are not 100% sure (from what I gathered through txt, Tom may understand totally and I just didn't get it....) but I have been fighting a new vibration lately. at IRCHA the tail of this new prototype helix got really aggravated and nervous. I didn't know what was going on, we thought it was in the airframe. well, we discovered an air leak on my carb. fixed that and the vibration totally went away.

went to fly the next day, and the tail is back aggravated again....I tested for an air leak, no leak to be found...I had gone through every bearing in the heli (except the bearings in the motor) and still nothing helped. I discovered a boom support that had a loose end on it. I replaced the boom support, and it got 70% better. but still not 100%.

I emailed Tin (HelixHeli designer) and mentioned the vibration (thinking it may be something in the heli). Tin told me his did this and a change of the spark plug fixed it....I thought that sounded way out there, but I was desperate at this point. I changed the spark plug, and boom.....totally gone now......tail is rock solid and heli sits dead still in the air.

what in the world could cause a spark plug to cause vibration? this was an older plug, one that I kept around for tuning tuned pipe helis. one with some good color on it that was easier to read than a brand new one.....I replaced it with a brand new never run plug......

still very very very impressed with this motor. I really want a 300, but honestly don't see the point. this motor will do everything I can throw at it. the ONLY thing that I know for a fact I cant do (constantly) is a full collective pitch hurricane. after about 1.5 revolutions it will begin to sag out, but that is a 12.5 degree full pitch balls to the wall, crap your pants hurricane. I honestly don't even enjoy them that fast...I was just pushing the motor to see what I could do to it

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hummmmmm...... lol

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do those from time to time, but my circles become some 300-500 feet in diameter!

Citizen 654
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
Hummmmmm...... lol
???.....we talking about the plug?

its probably not a "vibration" per say, but just not a smooth running motor. it is showing itself as what LOOKS like a vibration in the tail. all I know is the tail was agitated, I changed the plug, the tail isn't anymore....back smooth and tail is not aggravated...

Quote:
I do those from time to time, but my circles become some 300-500 feet in diameter!
I do them way the hell out in the back of the field. the guys do not like it if I do them any closer than the other side of the ditch (for you guys who have been to the Birmingham event you know where I mean...). one revolution around, and she begins to sag.....the circles end up huge bc you have to be easy on elevator, full pitch pulls a lot on the motor and on the airframe, being easy on the elevator (making circles larger) prevents blade stall. they look cool huge too, to me anyway - anyway, I can do them as fast as I am comfortable sustaining them though and the motor holds like a champ.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
Hummmmmm...... lol
what were we talking about here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in