Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FRANKENUFLY 20 min flight times oh ya

Hey guys just thought I'd fill ya in on my finished Ufly.I had a couple of 2 cell 2650 30c lipos that I wasnt using so I that Id do a little upgrade. Ive had my Ufly S for maybe 2 weeks now and was loving it except for 1 little problem 6 min flight times . Oh and the landing skids were too small the canopy cracks too easily and the tail blades way to close to the ground, luckily I havent had to replace a stripped tail gear yet. So here is FrankenUfly

Click image for larger version

Name:	us 238.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	251309

Name:	us 235.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	251315

Name:	Ufly.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	251316

Name:	us 245.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	251317

Name:	us 237.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	251318

Name:	us 247.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	251319

Name:	us 251.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	251320

Name:	us 258.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	251321

Name:	us 254.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	251322

Last edited by Rotory Gerter; 09-04-2011 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: posting pics
Rotory Gerter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Flight test

Hey guys wanted to post some flight test info. The frankenUfly flies very solid the battery pack added quite a bit of weight and I was a little worried about how the stock motor was gonna handle. But it handled fine Ive flown it four times since the upgrade and all were smooth flights the motor handles fine it obviously doesnt shoot straight up in the air like it does with a stock set up but it very agile none the less has plenty of maneuverability for me I didnt change anything on my head, although right out of the box I set the linkages to the outside hole of the servo horn and turned the travels up. I found that with the added weight I didnt need as much gain on the gyro so I turned that down overall I love my new Ufly S, my last flight was timed and I flew it non stop for twenty minutes, the esc and motor were warm but well within operating limits and it fly great.

if any of you guys are interested in what this cost me here are the stats.

Canopy $7.70, landing skid set $3.86, 2650mah batt $13.00, 20 minutes of relaxing flight time $priceless

I bought my stuff from Xheli.com these canopys work perfect because unlike the trex 450 pro canopy these get really wide right were you need them to clear the main gear
http://www.xheli.com/canopy450.html

these are the landing skids, pros, cheap and very wide stance I felt thr Ufly was very top heavy and that this was going to help saving me in crashes or not so awesome landings
http://www.xheli.com/60p-erz-019.html

these are the batteries I got they work awesome and have tons of great reviews oh and did I mention cheap as well you cant go wrong.
http://www.xheli.com/77p-sl2650-2s1p-30c-2222.html

in summary I have to say that I love my U fly so much more now. I will however be ordering some new main blades probably the ones jtpile suggested on his thread, just to see how much better it handles, and even before I did this upgrade I ordered the hobbymate motor also suggested by jtpile (thanks to you man for all the info) I think the 5000kv motor will give this bird exactly what it needs to be really fast.

List of pros and cons to this upgrade

PROS
1- very cheap for the parts
2-I built mine so that the nose is buried and the tail is in yhe air, this does 2 things it looks pretty mean and keeps that tail up off the ground from hitting things
3- improved in flight stability this thing was nice flying stock, now it flies like a dream
4- almost triple the flight time from 6 minutes to 20 straight min.
5- No need to improve esc or motor, I will be putting that hobbymate one on when it arrives but thats only cause the, tim the tool man taylor inside of me, needs to put a bigger motor on anything and everything I fly It flies great with stock electronics.
6- Looks so much cooler than the stock Ufly. No offense guys but come on ya gotta admit.

Cons
1- three nights of staying up working on it very trial and error uprade mostly the landing skids to get them perfect and my heli room is a complete disaster Im scared to go in there now
Rotory Gerter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice job, I was thinking of doing the battery conversion. I guess you trashed the stock walkera connector and went with the bananas? No going back to the smaller battery huh?
INISLDR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks realy good! You inspired me to mod the 1#A in a similar fashion (skids, metal plate, canopy)
Cheers!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by john aeras View Post
Looks realy good! You inspired me to mod the 1#A in a similar fashion (skids, metal plate, canopy)
Cheers!
did you see the video Dane from RTF-Heli made on the modding he did to a #1A?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
did you see the video Dane from RTF-Heli made on the modding he did to a #1A?
I did not, can you post the link?
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in