Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main pulley rubbing on frame

Hey guys, I maidened my Warp and after 4 light flights, when I was double checking the whole bird, I noticed the bottom of the main pulley is rubbing a bit on the left frame. It had a white coating of the nylon from the nylon upper and lower. I wiped it off with my finger but you can still see it on the top of the frame sheet. The main shaft is is tight with no play between the locking collar and auto-rotation hub. The supplied spacer is in between the lower main bearing and auto-rotation hub. There is a significantly larger space between the top of the main gear then the lower. The only fix that I can think of is filing down or using a thinner spacer between the auto-rotation hub and lower main bearing to move the main gear up. The other option would be to file the frame where it's hitting but, you can see that moving the pulley up would be the better option as there is more space above it. I will post pics. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Tachead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure the collar is snugged up and there is no play in the main shaft.

Also I had to go through the bolts on my main gear twice to make sure they had equal tension as I over tightened some and there was a slight warp to the gear rubbing similar to yours.

Now it is smooth as butter!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
Make sure the collar is snugged up and there is no play in the main shaft.

Also I had to go through the bolts on my main gear twice to make sure they had equal tension as I over tightened some and there was a slight warp to the gear rubbing similar to yours.

Now it is smooth as butter!!!!
There is no play at all in the main shaft as stated in my post.

All main gear screws are just snug with a tiny dap of Loctite on each nut.

The main gear looks like it needs to go up as there is a much larger space above it then below it. Does yours look the same? Thanks Shogun
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not effecting flight at all by the way. It flew absolutely perfect. Its just the mechanic in me wanting it to be right. I am thinking if the spacer in between the hub and lower bearing were a bit thinner it would raise the main gear to be more centered and stop any chance of rubbing. The belt would be more centered in the motor tensioner pulley at idle as well. As long as the hub doesn't touch the otter race of the bearing I think it should be fine. I don't see why Compass didn't make it a bit thinner. The main gear is clearly not centered in the frame cut outs or centered in relation to the motor belt tensioner pulley. I think on my next rebuild I will see if there in enough room to file the spacer a bit smaller. I cant recall how thick it was.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Re: Main pulley rubbing on frame

Excellent pics. I encountered this issue during my build. At that time, I just pulled the main gear, dremeled a bit off the frame where it made contact, then reassembled. Have never had a problem with it since.

Sent from my phone
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the bearing block above the gear the right way up? Also need to check if bearing is fully seated in this bearing block
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Excellent pics. I encountered this issue during my build. At that time, I just pulled the main gear, dremeled a bit off the frame where it made contact, then reassembled. Have never had a problem with it since.

Sent from my phone
Thanks Bob. That was just with my cell phone and a head lamp actually. Gotta love the camera on the Samsung Galaxy S4

Yeah, on the next rebuild I might take a hair off the frame there. It isn't hitting bad enough to warrant a disassembly when it is flying this well. All they had to do was raise the lower bearing block holes in the frame 0.25mm and include a few different shim thicknesses in the kit and it could have easily have been addressed with shimming. You can see that the main gear sits a touch low in relation to the belt tensioner pulley as well. O well, it's not a Henseleit I suppose. And, it flys great.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post
Is the bearing block above the gear the right way up? Also need to check if bearing is fully seated in this bearing block
Yes, the bearing block(rather bearing, as the block is symetrical) is the right way with the flange down and is fully seated. Thanks for the suggestions dude.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

There, problem solved. I flexed the main gear up and took a few passes off the frame with one of my micro files. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Looks great!!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots more room
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys:-). I can't wait to get her back in the air again and put some good hard flights on her. Just waiting on my tail servo and some shorter 9" sat wires to replace the bulky/heavy 24" ones that are on her now.

Hey guys, what do you think I should run for cyclic pitch. I am running 12.5/10 now but, I see a lot run ×××/9. How will that change the flight characteristics? I just set it there because that is where my other Compass is set and I don't recall seeing a recommendation in the manual for cyclic pitch.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm running 12.5 degrees collective, and a 12 degree cyclic limit. Depends upon the programming in your FBL controller. I set the Cyclic Limit to where I want, and the controller will use up to that amount at any given time to give provide/maintain the flip/roll rate that's commanded by the stick position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in