Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How many employed by Cad/Cam?

I've been using CAD since middle school. Self taught although I took a standard drafting class in high school which was a big help. Making pretty models is easy but worthless if you can't convey the details in conventions everyone understands. I taught the high school CAD class for extra credit but they used CrapCAD. Maybe that wasn't the actual name. I got a degree in mechanical engineering and now manage the family business. But I like to slam my hobbies and work together into an indistinguishable mess. My avatar is a rendering of part of my turbine Heli I've been modifying. I mostly use Autodesk Inventor now.
Havoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a mechanical engineer at a private space company. I use NX all day everyday for the past 5 years, i came from Pro-E before that. I specialize in electronics packaging but i do all sorts of stuff, a lot of tooling and fixtures.

I started in highschool doing hand drawings, then started using robocad. I'm not that old(31) but i guess my highschool was.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Countertops

I'm a solid surface countertop fabricator/installer/rc helipilot... or wannabe anyway. Strictly 2D using MasterCam Router. I'm mostly self taught. Also have made high end speaker enclosures and other random hi end things for customers. Currently cutting on an Onsrud CNC with Osai control, 5'x12' table with a 21hp router and 12 tool carousel. Someday would like to learn Solid Works or similar.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

This thread is very relevant to me since I actually work for SolidWorks the company! Before joining SolidWorks I used the software for about 8 years designing thermo plastic injection molds. It's really great to see so many customers here using SolidWorks, and as I do some research on the manufacturers, many of them are SolidWorks customers as well. Of course that's pretty common now a days in lots of industry.

I'm just getting into the hell hobby and about to get my first one. What led me here was watching videos of the MakerBot Replicator 2 where some guys were printing copter parts. MakerBot is a SolidWorks customer and after visiting them last week, I just had to order one of their machines. It is supposed to arrive here this week.

So if anyone has any SolidWorks questions, feel free to hit me up, hopefully I can answer them!
SolidWorks Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: How many employed by Cad/Cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidWorks Mike View Post
This thread is very relevant to me since I actually work for SolidWorks the company! Before joining SolidWorks I used the software for about 8 years designing thermo plastic injection molds. It's really great to see so many customers here using SolidWorks, and as I do some research on the manufacturers, many of them are SolidWorks customers as well. Of course that's pretty common now a days in lots of industry.

I'm just getting into the hell hobby and about to get my first one. What led me here was watching videos of the MakerBot Replicator 2 where some guys were printing copter parts. MakerBot is a SolidWorks customer and after visiting them last week, I just had to order one of their machines. It is supposed to arrive here this week.

So if anyone has any SolidWorks questions, feel free to hit me up, hopefully I can answer them!
Using solidworks 2010, why can't I snap lines and points at major angles of a circle ala unigraphics? Is this just not a feature? I use reference geometry now, but with all the snaps and tool bars I don't know if I can make this happen in SW.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from Tapatalk using my Inspire 4g through ATT (meaning it's a wonder you can see this!)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Using solidworks 2010, why can't I snap lines and points at major angles of a circle ala unigraphics? Is this just not a feature? I use reference geometry now, but with all the snaps and tool bars I don't know if I can make this happen in SW.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from Tapatalk using my Inspire 4g through ATT (meaning it's a wonder you can see this!)
Sketching a line to one of the quadrants (0,90,180,270) has always been pretty easy. For the other 'major' angles (45,135,225,315) with the line tool active, click the circle near those areas and wait about a second before moving your cursor away, as you start to move away after waiting you should then see a light yellow line going through the circle center points on this 45 degree angles.

I just tried this in 2013 and it works great. What it creates is a line that is perpendicular to the circle, but if you do it at one of the 45's, it will inference at that angle. You'll then have to add a relation to fully define it.

This should work in 2010 as well, and here is a blog post from 2007 showing how to do it:

http://solidsmack.com/cad/how-to-mak...in-solidworks/

The key is to be patient until that yellow 'X' shows up, then drag your line away from the circle.
SolidWorks Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gotcha. Thanks!

Regards,

Steve

Steve
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default plastic injection mold maker.

I am a mold maker by trade. Use solidworks, autocad, and inventor for cad and powermill and mastercam for cam.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

AutoCAD 2011. I design/ assemble lighting control relay panels for a lighting manufacturer representative. I.E. connection schematics, one line diagrams, occupancy sensor layouts, etc. I only work in 2D at work, but do minor modelling in 3D for when I'm designing RC boats and planes in my spare time.

My avatar is a sailplane I designed in CAD. All parts were hand made. It's a 2 meter class and flies beautifully. Next build will be a 36" catamaran speed boat. Plans are done and are ready to be plotted.
BoozinFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been 2 years since anyone posted here. This is my first post here and someone asked so, I've been a machinist/tool & die maker since I was 17. Started in my dads die shop at 13, he also had airplanes. 14 years ago I got a job at the National Institute for Avaition Research. I run 5 axis CNC mills, lathes, have built wind tunnel models and equipment for the crash lab, lightening lab, full scale & composites labs. I use Mastercam and Catia every day. I love flying helis but not real good at collective pitch yet. I have a DX6i, MCPX BL & a 450 3D. My mind is already thinking of ways to improve helis or tools needed to make them fly better.
wsucnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucnc View Post
It's been 2 years since anyone posted here. This is my first post here and someone asked so, I've been a machinist/tool & die maker since I was 17. Started in my dads die shop at 13, he also had airplanes. 14 years ago I got a job at the National Institute for Avaition Research. I run 5 axis CNC mills, lathes, have built wind tunnel models and equipment for the crash lab, lightening lab, full scale & composites labs. I use Mastercam and Catia every day. I love flying helis but not real good at collective pitch yet. I have a DX6i, MCPX BL & a 450 3D. My mind is already thinking of ways to improve helis or tools needed to make them fly better.
Ah the engineers mind. I'm constantly doing that as well, but more often it's in the form of "what I'm the hell were these people thinking when they designed this!?". Like the bearing blocks on a trex. Why in the world did they not make them one piece.!? If they did they could machine both bearing seats in one operation by back facing and the bearing spacing would be dead nuts on.

Regards,

Steve

Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default anyone has cad files?

i am a newbie n want o aid design with previous work of you guys, if anyone as it please PM me.
akym is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Done a few things with cad/cam, CNC Programmer by trade lathes, mills, surface grinders, waterjets etc. I started off working in an injection molding plant 10 yrs ago helping a guy repair molds. Since then I've processed, designed, and manufactured plastic injection molds. I currently work at a Cnc machine shop and use One CNC and Mastercam.
creasedogg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been using Solidworks for the past 3 years. I design aftermarket camshaft/crankshaft sensors for all makes of cars/trucks. I have designed various custom parts for people on here and am available if anybody ever needs anything drawn up.
jprochnow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am mechanical industrial designer and I work with Unigraphics NX for 10 years. I design mostly large assemblies machines for brick and tile industry.
johnny_alex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a Journeyman tool and die maker with over 15 years of experience. Also a journeyman CNC machinists, 10 years of programming using Mastercam, Work NC, Esprite. Also a Chramilles certified Wire EDM operator. I currently work for Curtiss Wright (The same company that has been building airplanes since the inception of flight). I currently work hand in hand with Boeing engineers using Catia. We currently make parts for the 787 Dreamliner.

Trex 550 DFC Stretched. Neu1907/1H, CC 100ice, AR7200bx, Align servos.
kc8qpu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Update

I have gone out and bought a Tormach PCNC1100 with 4th axis and Auto Tool Changer for use at home.

I am drawing at home with Solidworks 2014 (still use Mechanical Desktop at work) and use Sprutcam 8 for the CAM side of things.

So far a great little milling machine for the parts that I make.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Iam a mechanical enginner, I have an automation degree.I used to work with CATIA and Solidworks but now mostly with PLC and industrial robots.

Actually I build your designs
Marosko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marosko View Post
Iam a mechanical enginner, I have an automation degree.I used to work with CATIA and Solidworks but now mostly with PLC and industrial robots.

Actually I build your designs
Nice, I'm in the same field. Mechatronics. What kind of work do you? Consulting/design or do you work for a company automating their processes?

Regards,
Steve

Steve
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

We desing and build assembly lines for another companies, but Iam a novice so no a big deal so far ... but one day
Marosko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in