Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default So, I had another idea

(are you guys tired of my "ideas" yet?)

I was looking at my swash driver arms on my low fbl head and I noticed that they are not horizontal when the swash is at 0 pitch. I was trying to figure out if there was a reason, and the only thing I could come up with was that possibly because the arms are sort of too long when used on the low fbl head, and maybe they were trying to bring the the swash followers more level.

So what I was thinking is why couldn't I just cut 5mm or so off the main shaft, re drill the hole (providing I can, I have the hollow main shaft which I think is hardened), and lower the head another 5mm to get the swash driver arm to sit level at 0 pitch. Right now they sit level at max pitch (12 degrees). There would still be plenty of room for the swash to move, I checked that. And I realize it would be difficult to get the hole drilled in the perfect spot, but I think I have the right equipment and know how to do it.

So I was curious if other people's swash driver arms sit like that, or if it is just mine. I tried google images for low fbl head protos's but there was like nothing. Here's what mine looks like at -12, 0, and +12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	373768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01013.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	373769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01014.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	373770  
flint723 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are just swash drivers, not mixing arms as in a flybar head. They don't have to be parallel at midstick for any reason at all. In a flybar head they would have linkages attached and therefore need to be parallel at midstick for proper geometry. Leave well enogh alone LOL! and I sure as hell would not lower the main shaft any more that is for sure! Both the protos low fbl head and mini protos low fbl head are like this as is the rjx 450 fbl head and many others. Again they are just swash drivers and nothing more.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you need to stop with the random tinkering and go fly. That's what this toy is designed to do, after all.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I did fly today, but here in ND the weather has been making it difficult. Today was the first nice day in a while where nice means not really windy, not snowing, and temp above 25. So I get bored on all the other days...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lowering the head any more than what you have with the low hub could result in a boom strike. +1 to what others have already said. No need to have them level.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your swash is riding too low. At -12 if you give cyclic input it will bind on the frame. Lengthen the servo to swash links. My servo to swash is 31mm and swash to grips 28mm (inside length). 12degrees collective and 12 cyclic with no binding at all at step L of beastx menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0003.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	373811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	373812  
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

@ alex, You were right, I found out that the trex 550 dfc has about 125mm of blade to boom clearance which is also what I have. So I will not be cutting my shaft any shorter.

@ pani, I don't have swash binding actually but I am not running 12 degrees cyclic either. I still will raise the swash though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in