Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flymentor and flybarlees units do totally different jobs.

Flymentor can be used on its own, but you need a flybarred heli.

If you want to use it on a flybarless heli, you need a flybarless unit like ZYX to replace the flybar that was supposed to be there. Without the flybarrless unit, the heli would be pretty unflyable in anything but a hover.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flybar and flybarless units

Thank you for the confirmation, I really appreciate it.
Just for curiosity, is it easy to explain to me why the KDS unit is barely capable of managing some hovering "cushion" while it would be lost when drawn into some manoeuvres?
I thought that the electronics inside was really comparable, a 3 axis gyro system in the mentor, and a 3 axis gyro system in the famous ZYX. Yet why is it that they operate in completely different worlds?
What is it that I am truly missing in the principles of operation of the KDS (with and without ccd camera) and the ZYX?
I hope I am not being a pain, thank you so much for your time!
.Superfly. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also to add to JolyBoy's answer.

The Flymentor is programmed to only operate when the cyclic stick is centered, and in that event use the 3-axis gyro to give the correct inputs to level the heli and then hover the heli either normally or inverted.

This is why many have tried using the Flymentor as an FBL unit and think they have succeeded once they get a hover without a flybar. However they soon find when they start to fly forward using the cyclic stick the FM unit does nothing and in fact you are now flying the heli without a flybar and no FBL electronics.

Kev
HK600 Stock Build Project
bionicbone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default you cleared my doubts

Excellent, thanks! Now I understand completely what is its principle of operation, and why even if it may have the same electronics, it performs differently...
It was a great call to highlight that the stick, the swash request has to be centered, now all is clear in my mind. I wonder if with some reprogramming, these 3 axis gyro units could work for both needs in one box only. It think it's just a matter of microprocessor computing power.
Food for thought (this is the greatest hobby of them all)!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

3-axis gyros are merely rotational sensors. Don't assume they do the same job just because they use the same type of sensor. Its like saying a dog and a fish are the same because they both have eyes.

When you let go of the sticks:

Flymentor will output servo signals to bring the heli level.

ZYX will output servo signals to keep the heli at the angle you left it.

If you combine them:
Flymentor will output signals to tell ZYX how to level the heli (elevator or aileron signals). If an outside influence (like wind or physics from fast flight) affects the heli's attitude, ZYX will create servo signals to fight that change in attitude.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default wrapping up

Thanks, that's an interesting explanation! So in principle this could be arranged, having sufficient processing power. You replicate the gyro output towards two computational engines, one of them is dedicated and programmed as a leveller, the other one is dedicated as a stabilizer.
It would then be a matter of having just the right software interface on a pc so to be able to effectively approach the parameters in a non confusing way. Also the ccd camera option would surely be the third variable, in case that you really want to stay placed (instead of relying onto a gps sensor, which would convince me much more...).
Ah well, I am just making hypotheses, surely for the time being I will be happy to fit a ZYX onto my HK550 FBL.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Superfly. View Post
Thanks, that's an interesting explanation! So in principle this could be arranged, having sufficient processing power. You replicate the gyro output towards two computational engines, one of them is dedicated and programmed as a leveller, the other one is dedicated as a stabilizer.
It would then be a matter of having just the right software interface on a pc so to be able to effectively approach the parameters in a non confusing way. Also the ccd camera option would surely be the third variable, in case that you really want to stay placed (instead of relying onto a gps sensor, which would convince me much more...).
Ah well, I am just making hypotheses, surely for the time being I will be happy to fit a ZYX onto my HK550 FBL.
Yes, its called arduino there are many that already exist like multiwii, ardupilot and openpilot. Its just that the code used to run helicopters is too experimental at the moment.

Its wayyyyyyy less effort to just hook up two controllers like in this thread.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried to do this set up and got the Tarot ZYX dialed in so i hooked up the Flymentor. It had lots of problems. There was jitter and the servo throws were off on Pitch and Airleon. Those two channels also would have very limited movement. I could get the swash to pull back for a climb but it would hardley go forward for a dive. The swash would also tilt to the left but not to the right. I tried everything I could think of and eventually pulled the Flymentor off. When trying to set up the ZYX alone again, I was getting lot of servo jitter and the #3 swash servo burnt up and let out the magic smoke... I ordered some replacements and will play with it a little tonight. Any suggestions on the Flymentor or what may have caused the servo jitter and eventual servo fail? Thanks
kalikraven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
I tried to do this set up and got the Tarot ZYX dialed in so i hooked up the Flymentor. It had lots of problems. There was jitter and the servo throws were off on Pitch and Airleon. Those two channels also would have very limited movement. I could get the swash to pull back for a climb but it would hardley go forward for a dive. The swash would also tilt to the left but not to the right. I tried everything I could think of and eventually pulled the Flymentor off. When trying to set up the ZYX alone again, I was getting lot of servo jitter and the #3 swash servo burnt up and let out the magic smoke... I ordered some replacements and will play with it a little tonight. Any suggestions on the Flymentor or what may have caused the servo jitter and eventual servo fail? Thanks
Did you connect the FM unit correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HK600 WiringTarot ZYX.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	380641   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK600 Wiring KDS FM + Tarot ZYX.jpg
Views:	4068
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	380642  
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok making a little bit a progress. I copied your idea and a small part of your pic with the swashplate and the Tail servo. It looks like the Tarot is OK. Now I gotta try the FM unit...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KalikravenTarot.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	380811  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok Got them both happy together for now. Need to do a flight test and adjust where needed. This is how it worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KalikravenTarotFlymentorNoChangeForConnections.png
Views:	1429
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	380860  
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

If anyone should buy the FM programming box, double check the Mounting Direction setting against actual swash movement. Mine is reversed! REAR setting actually = Forward. And apparently, when you set FM for 1 servo, the AIL and ELE outputs switch places. I've got my setup working with the addition of a Quark gyro. See posts earlier in the thread.
salience is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ail and ele switched places on me. That explains a lot.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

It took a fair bit of trial and error for me. The best way is to get your ZYX flyable and then connect fm one channel at a time, testing as you go. The only reason you could damage a servo is if you had binding, or you selected the wrong refresh rates in FM or ZYX.

I'd post more details of my setup, but its actually in pieces now for a 480 stretch and 6s. Good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah I'm learning a little bit at a time. I was going to maiden it today but that didn't happen. I had to reverse the throttle channel for the ESC but forgot to reverse the pitch at the same time. All it was doing was hugging the ground. I thought I needed more power so I swapped the 11t pinion with a 13. Then I hooked it up to the ZYX softhware and relized my mistake... By the time I got it ready to go again it was raining out. Maybe tommorow...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

i got my 450 copterx flying today FBL with zyx/fm i agree with joly its much better i have just had a few batteries in my garden doing small controlled circuits, and nose in hovering and manouvreing for as long as i want (without biting through my tongue and clenching my ass cheeks ).just use joly's settings, they got mine flying pretty good straight out of the tin.. thanks for the settings joly it works a treat..
munkymush is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a quick list on which fbl controllers can do stabilisation built in? I.e. the sk720.

My trouble is with that is they are expensive and hand on heart I'm not sure I'd see the full benefit of having such a quality unit giving my slow flying style.

Are there cheaper options out now?

If not, I'm going to do the same as this on my 600esp as it works a treat on the hk600.

Cheers
Kev
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

MSH Brain (I run this currently) ~$200
Align APS ~$900
Helicommand Rigid
Naza-H
Wookong
DJI AceOne
Arducopter (experimental, but almost fully functional) ~$200
Multiwii (highly experimental) ~$80
.....plus many more

The self level on the MSH brain is ALMOST as good as flymentor, but its best used on a momentary switch to bring you back to level as needed. The brain's self level drifts badly if you have any vibration. Flymentor is better because it can be left on and doesnt drift much at all.

If price is an issue, flymentor is by far the best option
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am a little confused on your diagrams . the fly mentor unit has servo inputs and a cable that goes to the rx , i wish you could see what colour wires go where not just aep etc , i will try to decipher the photo but its hard to see as your wiring is so tidy

Josh
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
Ok Got them both happy together for now. Need to do a flight test and adjust where needed. This is how it worked for me.
now were getting somewhere , thanks that i can understand.. to work
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in