Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outside heli

Alright I have a sim, baught a nano cpx and love both. I also have a 400x that I have a fear of, I think because of the size. I have to say I am decent on the sim, hover with the nano with no issues. I would like to get some input on an outdoor heli.
My thought is to hold off on the 450 and get a trex 250 to reduce size and the intimidation factor. I would buy the kit to keep me interested and give me more sim time and learn the inns and outs of the heli.
Or am I making a bigger deal out of this and just get training wheels and fly the 450x? Like to get some thoughts from newbies. I don't mind taking baby steps but I am dying to fly something outside I am in Michigan and flying time is always to short!
Smithx2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outside heli

450x. Smaller is just more trouble. The size and tolerance of the parts are miles different with anything smaller and prices are even similar. A 450 is relatively safe all things considered.

Just fly far away and the 450x will look just like a nano in the air. Except it will actually fly like a proper helicopter.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say skip the 250 size and go for the 450. The bigger helis fly better, anyone will tell you that (they also cost more to repair, however). IMHO, the 400-450 class is the best bang for the buck - you get to experience a real heli without breaking the bank. I will never forget the first time I lifted my 450 and it hovered 1-2 feet off the ground, training gear and all.
They key is very careful setup, both mechanical on the heli and also taming down the controls through Dual Rate / Expo settings in your radio. They need to be very, very mellow.
If you can, hook up with a local heli club (or person) and have them verify your setup and maybe even test fly, to give you a bit of confidence.
mike_a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outside heli

Why not going straight to a 500 model? There are so many options nowadays, that prices are lower and lower.....
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

what can you do with the nano? can you flip it, fly inverted? do side flips fly sideways?
the nano is a great heli and if you can't do all that with it, keep at it till you can. if you really want something bigger get a MCPX BL great to learn its bigger but not huge bigger but it fly like a 130x or maybe even a 200, it acts big in FFF

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Outside heli

If you are comfortable hovering the nano tail in (and even better, side in), the 450x will be even easier... Once you stop shaking.

Do a thorough preflight check to make sure the heli is setup properly. Even though it's RTF, I am sure you will find a few things to double check if you look in the blade helis forum. If you can, have an experienced pilot look over the heli and maybe test fly it.

To help minimize nerves, just put the heli a safe distance away, lift off and land immediately. As soon as the skids leave the ground, just lower it gently back down, wipe the sweat off your hands and do it again.

~Pete
poconnell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

just remember, its exactly the same, just bigger if you believe in your ability to hover your nano, then a bigger heli will be a cake walk.
one additional thing to think about is bail out. you can't just slam the collective down and brush it off and keep flying. if you haven't done so already, practice using throttle hold.
Good Luck!
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Good info!

I can fly the nano around the posts in my basement no 3d stuff, not confident enough to try them in my small basement I thought about the Mcpx bl but from my reaserch flying it outside in any wind from what I read is an issue.
I understand set up is key, I am trying to hook up with someone experienced in my area. Not as popular as all the plane guys here. Been reading a lot on the forums, think I am close with the set up on the 450 just need to be sure for confidence. Flying it on sim I am descent on the 450 not as good as I think I should be though.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello.

How long have you been flying Helicopter?
Are you at the tail in hovering stage or flying Nano around a bit, or flying out a ways doing bank turns and flying anyplace you like without worrying about loosing it.

I have to say that I rather enjoy practicing with Nano outdoors when it's calm. It can be a bit of a handful when it gets breezy.

As you are worried about flying 450X, Skip the 250 and give MCPX BL a good long look.
Once you can handle Nano, MCPX BL is a lot more helicopter! It's a great stepping stone to the 450.

It is still small enough you can crash now and again without much worry about breaking the helicopter but it's very fast compared to Nano. Very powerful.

You will be able to fly it out 50 yards or more, take it up 100'. Work on turns and get used to flying up high and farther away. As well as work on approaches and other flying skills.

When you can handle MCPX-BL 100% power in idle up you will have no problem
flying your 450X. The 450X is just bigger and another level of power and speed.

If your not comfortable give yourself all the time you need on the simulator and Nano.
Consider MCPX-BL for 30 days and you will have no problem flying the 450 once you can fly Nano and MCPX-BL around.

You will find that 450 flies the same only bigger and more powerful.
An absolute joy to fly. Just my .02
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you taken the nano outside yet?

Buddy of mine started on a nano and after practicing in the bedroom on the rig we were on, I talked him into taking it outside. I was flying my msrx and told him that if I can handle a light breese with the FP, his nano shouldn't be a concern. Boosted his confidence in the little bird and he took it out.

450s are scary when you are new but the first time you go for a landing and touch the right skid down gently, you will know why bigger is better, just don't let yourself get nervous and try to overfly it. It flys the same as the little one, just smoother and easier.

My guess is that if you can dance around a tiny basement with the nano then you are ready to fly whatever to perfect your skills. The nano should be for trying new things (after simming of course). The 450 is to hone those skills and see what you can do on a proper heli. I started doing circuits on my msrx, and the next time I got a 450 in the air I could do my fig-8s much prettier with it, and the landings/takeoffs are just beautiful. Reminded me of RADDs SOF training b/c it was so effortless and precise.

If you get a 250, it should be with the idea that you want a twitchy heli to practice stuff on and get your nerves right before flying the better copter. That's the way I look at my 120's now, just a warm up to smooth me out before flying.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out the event forum. The Mid America Fun Fly is June 1st in Grosse Ile and many of the helifreaks from MI are chiming in on that thread. I don't know anything about the event or how far you will need to travel, but I strongly suggest that you attend and bring your heli.

Edit: attempt to link to the event thread.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=579911

~Pete
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deleted, dupe post.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

MCPX Bl outside in wind is not a issue. there fun, the nano can be flown outiside in wind to i was flying ours in about 3mph wind other day MCPX can handle more, and the BL can take even more.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

For what it's worth, I learned inverted outdoors with a nano in up to 5mph wind.

CP helis handle wind much better than FP. The bigger the CP heli, the better it handles wind.

If you can fly upright and inverted circuits and 8s with a nano in a light breeze, you can pretty much fly any CP heli.

Focused sim and IRL micro practice and you can fly whatever you want (and save heaps by not crashing as often).
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flew the nano outside today handled the wing a lot better then I thought. I am going to the event here in michigan actually about 5 minutes from my house. Between the nano and the SIMM I don't think it will be long before I get the guts. Very surprised on how much more stable the 450 feels then the nano on the sim. May buy another heli just to add to my collection, I really enjoy the heli mor then my planes.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nano is fun. learn everything on it, cause if you can do it with it you can do it with a bigger heli I do not even fly 450's on the sim i always fly at least a 500 if not a 700 they just fly better and i find the sim not realistic on some models

Old 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mcpx BL is an excellent micro outdoor heli, but consequently very hard to learn on. The new 360 mm sized 450's seem to be the sweet spot right now. Get a 450 L Dominator or X3.

I'm pretty sure the 250 will be scarier to fly than the 450.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Why not going straight to a 500 model?
because they are considerably more dangerous.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not to mention considerably more expensive.
mike_a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yet considerably more fun! :-)

sent from a non Apple device

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in