Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > JS TZ-V2 Frenzy

JS TZ-V2 Frenzy JS Models TZ-V2 Frenzy Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Main gear stripped on new Frenzy

Well I tried everything I could to show off the Frenzy at our local fun fly today. It did not go well. First I had the pin that holds the tail drive gear in place fall out in flight. I got it back safely and had a spare pin believe it or not and got that fixed. Loctite that pin in the tail drive gear! On the second flight, there was strange noise that would cycle in and out at an even rate. I didn't know if it was something wrong or what. Then it started sounding worse and I immeadiately landed only to find my main gear shreaded.

All of this was on my brand new Frenzy that came with the updated main gear hub with one single one way bearing in it. I thought this was going to be a much better setup but that sucker was locked up hard on the main shaft. I still don't know how I am going to get it out. If any one has any bright ideas to remove a stuck main gear I'm all ears. This is very upsetting since I have two Frenzys and now both are down for parts on the day of the fun fly I already paid admission for. If I can get the main gear off of the new Frenzy, I might be able to use some parts off of the new one to fix Frenzy #1 but the weekend is not looking good at this point.

Here are the ugly pics of the aftermath:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear-Dust-1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	102479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear-Mesh.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	102480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear-Mesh-2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	102481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-Drive-Mesh.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	102482  

Last edited by simusphere; 06-21-2009 at 04:24 PM..
simusphere is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

This morning I was looking over the bird trying to figure out how I was going to get the main gear out and I noticed what caused all of this to happen in the first place. Look at the top two pictures closely. Do you see anything missing other than the teeth on the main gear?

Hint: No locktite

OMG, I found a total of six screws that must not have been loctited after my build. It probably happened due to rushing to get ready for the fun fly. The whole lower bearing block was sitting on top of the fuel tank missing all four screws. Well, there you have it. Now I still have to figure out how to get that main gear and main shaft out. It is looking like I will have to completely strip it down naked and start over.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I finally was able to remove the main gear while it was still stuck on the shaft. I had to drop the engine, clutch bell, take out one servo and remove the bell cranks to get enough room to swing the gear down and out of the frames. Once I got it out I removed the gear from the hub and put the whole thing in the oven to bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Then I was able to get the bearings to loosen there hold on the shaft. I discovered that the new oneway bearing was able to handle the heat OK but the old one that has the two one ways in it could not. The old one had a cheap plastic bearing retainer in it that just melted when it was in the oven. So don't heat those old one way's up in the oven like I did.

It appears that the new one way did not lock up like I had originally thought. The part that was stuck and still won't fit on the shaft is one of the bearings that suround the one way. I don't know if it was like this from the begining or it got jammed during the teeth grinding. But I need some new bearings for the one way. What a pain in the arse. I never made it to the fun fly due to these one way bearing issues and a family emergency. I will get some replacements from rc-bearings and try to get them working better than original.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default bummer

srry to hear about your frenzy, all in all i love my frenzy, i have had some problems...my biggest problem so far was the snap ring that holds the starter shaft kept coming out, i had taken the e clip and replaced it with a snap ring when i got the bird. It still came out, no crash but it was a tricky situation. the real cause i think is that both bearings in the starter shaft block were spinning, clearance was too loose. Solution was i put new bearings and loctited them in, put new snap ring..loctited it too! have 3 flights on it since, seems like it going to hold. the other problems i had were covered in the forums.....too soft of a main shaft, was a biggie, same problem as you, couldnt get the shaft out. it took some doing but finally got a new hardened shaft in, no more probems there. also i think the starter shaft is too soft, i noticed its getting notchy where it fits in the clutch oneway bearing, i think js is working on that.

that thing just flys so great im gonna keep on trying to get the little bugs out of it.

cya bird

Last edited by bird; 06-25-2009 at 06:39 PM..
bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh it's definitely worth getting the bugs out. A lot of pilots think I'm crazy for getting rid of the T-rex 600 pro but I did and simply like the way the Frenzy flys better. So yea I had a bad weekend for flying but I'll have to get all the important parts on order for spares and get a nice set of replacement bearings.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default parts

well good luck on the parts, im still tinkering and trimming mine, i just put a 440mm flybar and a pair of cy stubz paddles, went out to fly it today and wow, that was an upgrade worth doing, real fast and responsive, flips and rolls with hardly any collective. still pretty stable in a hover too, ima smilin
bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in