Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up My double BL with flipped Servos

Hi all,

thought i contribute some of my experiences.

Had a HP03TR, 15800KV laying around, so i decided to give it a try. I ended up with full BL and flipped servos

This is in:
  • A Blade Nano cp x
  • Hp03TR, 15800KV (Main)
  • HP02T, 8000KV (Tail)
  • XP3A, Replaced FETs, modified current flow
  • Supermicro 3.5A for Tail
  • BL-Heli V9 for main and tail
  • Solid Carbon-Boom
  • Rakon-Heli Tail-holder
  • Self-made Tail-fin
  • Flipped Servos

Most of the time has gone to flipping the servos. For flipping them, i decided to move them in the frame to the position of the opposite servos (like on the MicroHeli Frame having to change the two side pieces of the frame to have the servos aligned after flipping them).

I have done this by making holes through the original servoholder and put some alu-rod where the screw goes in (see pictures, difficult to explain; there is one picture you can see red lines, this is the screw going through the frame).

One of the servos has to be modified by extending the wires (to short after flipping). The Main-ESC was modified by me with some cable reinforcing the main current flow traces on the esc.

Lots of glue used (epoxy, ca), all screws are M1. Power is more than i can handle, so i am running it at 70% throttle governed.

With original Eflite lipo the heli feels quick for about 2:30, then power goes down noticeable.

Ok, enough words, here some pics:

Felice
felice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #162 (permalink)

Nicely done Felice. Thanks for sharing your method and result.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very very nice work Felice. Would love to see a video of it flying
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by felice View Post

• Flipped Servos

Most of the time has gone to flipping the servos. For flipping them, i decided to move them in the frame to the position of the opposite servos (like on the MicroHeli Frame having to change the two side pieces of the frame to have the servos aligned after flipping them).
Felice, cool stuff.
But what is the advantage of the flipped servos? Is it worth all the effort?

Today I finally could finish my double BL Nano (had had troubles with the micro ESCs before).

Because the stock tail in my BL Nano held quite well before, only slight blow out in extreme maneuvres, I thought the main problem would be the brushed tail motor to die because it has to work that hard all the time.

So I wanted to take the smallest BL tailmotor I have and also test a normal tail rotor and not take Xtwin or even RRC/Plantraco or Walkera.

I used an old Walkera tail motor mount for the motor (Dylan, hurry up with the tailmotor mounts ), and took a tiny Hextronik 2g outrunner and a KBDD prop (for mCPx)
I used a Supermicro 3.5 A as tail ESC.
Main motor is now a Frankenstein made from a HP03s bell, a C05M stator and wiring (bigger and heavier than the HP03s and ADH30 parts I used before) and a Hawk 12000 axis; this motor is really quite strong, but also heavier than the ones used before.

The tail works very, very well. It is near to perfect, but not perfect; very responsive, but in very hard situations I also can see a very slight blowout. So maybe I will try a Xtwin prop the next days; they are better, not that big as RRC or Walkera props, ... but they are not very pretty; or even try my HP02t for comparative purposes to the Hextronik 2 g.

But as we all know, we do have a slight battery problem in the BL Nanos
When I made my first flights, I only could do - similar to Felice - about 2 minutes of real good flighttime with stock battery and Zippy 240, and maybe one minute more of hovering; not very good.
But then I found a solution to improve flighttime and performance. I played around with BL Heli and reduced the Governer to 78%.
This was a big success - I could not believe.
The heli is strong, strong, strong - nearly no motor bogging; Its HP05s in mCPx style.
But now I had much longer flightimes.
Got more than 3 minutes of real powerful flight with the stock batteries and the Zippy 240 and with one of my two Wellpower 250; with the second Wellpower - I do not really unterstand this - I got more than four, nearly 4 1/2 min of full power flight ???
I also tried good 300 mAh mCP x batteries.
In this heli also these heavier batteries are very, very good. Hardly feel the weight - and 4 1/2 - 5 min of full power flight.
Maybe I will change plugs in this Nano and only fly with 300s... we will see.
BTW: Also flew several times with Turnigy 160 and Turnigy nano-tech 160; they are too weak for this setup, no chance, no use.

Flew about 15 batteries this evening with my double BL Nano - and I am extremely happy with it.
It is also very durable, had several hard crashes like kissing lamps and stuff like this - no problem for the Nano (and for my custom made frame - I was afraid it will break soon, but no problem so far).

In this very strong Nano the extra weight of a XXtreme canopy (and mainly the Xtreme skids) is not a problem anymore

Some pics:

You can see the Frankenstein-motor made of HP03s, C05M and Hawk 12000.

The tiny Hextronik 2 g outrunner with KBDD prop.

29 g with stock skids, and tail rod instead of tail tube.

Nano XXtreme double brushless

I like my Nanos

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi donaldsneffe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Felice, cool stuff.
But what is the advantage of the flipped servos? Is it worth all the effort?
i hope it is ok using your picture to explain why i flipped the servos:

Do you see the marked point? The pushrod is touching the servo and on full negative the pushrod gets slightly bent. The only reason i did flip the servos was because of that (i do not like things to be bent by default on my helis and, of course, because i love to tinker )

Quote:
Quote:
I like my Nanos

I can fully understand that you like them. Especially the one with that beautifull TDR-Canopy is

Felice
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Felice,
thanks - checked it in this BL Nano, and unfortunately you are right.
The servo pushrods are touching the plastic on full negativ pitch; not bending, but still touching.
Making the servo spacers longer would make them bend.

But: Whats with the servo boards in a Nano with flipped servos?
Dont you have troubles the servo board touching the canopy?

I could expect this problem especially in the beautifull TDR-Canopy, which is quite narrow

Ever thought of cutting a little piece of the white servo plastic on this location?

Walter
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

I avoided the servos linkage problem by simply using the MCPx servo linkage.
Hellimod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellimod View Post
I avoided the servos linkage problem by simply using the MCPx servo linkage.
I did not think of give the rods of the mcpx a test

Well, i swear, i really wanted to waste my time flipping the servos

Felice
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't seen any issues with the rubbing link, but you could just bend it very slightly to clear too
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Just tried to write an explanation of setting up gov arm mode by tx programming and utilising the idle up curves for adjusting tail mix (pre-comp)

Here: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=417

Amp

Thanks AMP Helped me out alot
hoggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys! Anyone else noticed these yet? http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=365

No need to make a mount! They've got the 16600kv version also. I ordered a 13500kv, 3.5A ESC and USB programmer today. Can't wait to get it all installed and running. It comes with a 7T pinion, but I have an 8T and a 9T also. Is the 7T best with the 13500kv motor?

The Nano is my first CP heli and I'm loving it!

Ampdraw, thank you for posting your settings and info about setting things up with a BLHeli ESC, will make good use of your experience
Oobly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oobly if I recall correctly you were around when we all thought the Walkera 4#3B was the best living room heli....welcome to the Nano!

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #173 (permalink)

@Oobly:
Yes, we were discussing it in one of the thread in the Brushless Nano forum.

It is a little heavier than the HP03SPE that Dylan sell in his brushless kit. Due to the cover that protects the motor wire and the mount being metal.

The biggest issue that I don't like about the HP03SE is that it uses a 1.2mm main shaft. On the 7t pinion, that means less material in the center. At least it comes with a pinion. Wish the price was a little lower.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Amp, yes indeed, I am an original 35MHz (long atenna) 4#3 owner! I learnt to fly on it and modded it into oblivion. Spent a lot of time over on that other forum. I recognise a few names here from those days.

I stopped flying about 4 years ago for various reasons, just got back into the hobby with the Nano and I am very impressed with how far micro helis have progressed! This little heli is great. Stable, responsive, light and mega tough. Amazing for a micro CP!

Back on topic: Is the 7T pinion best for sport flying with the 13,500kv motor or should I put an 8T on?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #175 (permalink)

I believe everyone is using the 7t with the 13,500kv brushless. Just to keep the torque and flight characteristic at least similar to stock. Not sure if ppl have experimented with larger pinions, but the more teeth, the more taxing it will be on the battery.

Someone should try and report back.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried 8 tooth on the 13500 motor, 7 tooth is better all around for the torque output on a 3 gram motor.

From tapatalk
Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now I saw, that Dylans stuff it thought out very well.

Broke the frame in my first BL Nano (with the custom modified frame), and where did it break:
At the upper brushed Motor mount (the circle).
So the small discs Dylan sells with his sets should be very useful.
Used one to repair the frame and hope to be able to pruduce a spare disc for my Dylan-CFparts-frames.
Lets play the game "how to cut and sand a circle"

Walter
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, 7T it is then.

My motor, ESC and USB programmer arrived from Oversky today! But the motor doesn't have a pinion...... I ruined one stock pinion trying to bore it out to 1.2mm, had more success with another one. Just not my day. I replaced the FETs on the ESC and when I tried it out one of the N-channels fried. Gonna redo the whole thing. Good that I bought 12 of each.

This project isn't going as smoothly as I hoped. The motor weighs about 3.3g with the metal mount and wire protection part.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Now I saw, that Dylans stuff it thought out very well.

Broke the frame in my first BL Nano (with the custom modified frame), and where did it break:
At the upper brushed Motor mount (the circle).
So the small discs Dylan sells with his sets should be very useful.
Used one to repair the frame and hope to be able to pruduce a spare disc for my Dylan-CFparts-frames.
Lets play the game "how to cut and sand a circle"

Walter
Walter take the stock brushed motor and cut it apart put it in your drill and you have a hole saw just the right size
pjacq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacq View Post
Walter take the stock brushed motor and cut it apart put it in your drill and you have a hole saw just the right size

Joke - isn't it.

Should be little too small in diameter.
I will be able to cut a circle - anyway, have two sets from Dylan (but need more).

Walter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in