Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IMPORTANT!! NO STICK MOVEMENT AFTER T14MZ to 2.4ghz update

Hi to all
I'm very desperate!!!
Yesterday I did on my T14MZ (Europe - Uk) the last update posted on the official Futaba website to use the new TM14 FASST module bought from Towerhobbies
The update was successfull infact the TX is able to use that 2.4 module
But the very strange thing is that I CANNOT USE THE STICKS ANYMORE
THEY SEEM TO BE DISABLED and I don't know what is happend to my radio
On the servo monitor there is not stick and servo movement
Please if anybody could help me to resolve this situation
I will appreciate every suggestions
Please help me to find a way, I really would try the 2.4 this week end
Thank you very much
Best regards
G
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check You functions menu, the instruction sheet (for the 2.4 ghz module) says something about channal re-asignment (this automatic re-asignment could possebly fail, don't know ?).

What I mean here is, are You sure (for inst.) the pitch is set to use the correct stick in the functions menu ?
dkpodder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Read the instructions file that came with the update. It is in Word format. Open the file and read the instructions and it will explain what to do.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Ely,

Try the following.
Reload your old version of SW and see what it does with your old stuff.
All speculation on my part.

There is region coding done on the 2.4 stuff. Futaba may not have all bugs worked out in the none US stuff.
They even said they are working on a SW update soon.

I had to bind the RX to TX when I installed mine in a 14mz.
The RX came unbinded to my TX module.
Easy to fix.
tkilwein is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yesterday I did on my T14MZ (Europe - Uk) the last update posted on the official Futaba website to use the new TM14 FASST module bought from Towerhobbies
I think that is the problem also. He is trying to use a North America module and software in a transmitter that is region coded for Europe/UK.

Reloading his old updates want cure the problem. The 2.4 software is needed to operate the 2.4 module.
David
Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Just to say that the update does not effect/mess up the 35MHz side of the Tx. All works as it should

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It was figured out. He used the 14MZ calibration utility, and then went into the stick calibration screen, and OK'd his way out. That calibrated his sticks to have zero throw.

-Planks are like feel-good buddy movies, and helis are like horror movies. You just gotta like being scared.
Trooper Sam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Trooper,
Yes I read about that. I keep seeing all these people change the region code in there transmitters. For example, if they are in the UK and have a transmitter with a region code for Europe/UK. Now they change the region code to North America.
I just wonder if the BMFA in the UK is going to allow them to use the transmitter at club fields. Even more will they have liability coverage from the BMFA if they were to have an accident using a transmitter that is not coded for there region?
Just something that makes me wonder.
I know it would not work here in the USA, lawyers would be all over something like that if an accident happened.

David
Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Man, I hadn't even thought of the BMFA angle. I hadn't really gotten past the whole "couldn't you wait a couple of more months?" thing.

-Planks are like feel-good buddy movies, and helis are like horror movies. You just gotta like being scared.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well if it is not only the BMFA. But the model organizations every where that offer liability coverage as part of the membership.
I am sure if an accident happens and lawyers get involved. The lawyers go to Futaba and start doing research. Futaba tells the lawyers the transmitters should only be coded for each region by them. Then game over. LOL
I don't know about other countries. But I know here in the USA I would definitely not try something like that if the situation was reversed. It would be too much risk involved financially.

David
Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

The BMFA won't know until 'something' happens.at a field. Alot of it is self policing ie Peg board or it's OK he/her is on 2.4GHz fly free - us on the ground won't know if it's a UK or US spec TX

The problem with 2.4 is that us in the UK run a legally lower power output than the USA
We run a higher output to the French and in Germany it's illegal

The problems will come when peeps who control the airwaves come down and start testing output power - that's when the shit starts

Sam - how the hell did he get the update utility confused with the calibration program??

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
The BMFA won't know until 'something' happens.at a field. Alot of it is self policing ie Peg board or it's OK he/her is on 2.4GHz fly free - us on the ground won't know if it's a UK or US spec TX

The problem with 2.4 is that us in the UK run a legally lower power output than the USA
We run a higher output to the French and in Germany it's illegal

The problems will come when peeps who control the airwaves come down and start testing output power - that's when the shit starts

Sam - how the hell did he get the update utility confused with the calibration program??
How he got the update confused with the calibration program. He was changing the region coding in the transmitter from Europe to North America so he could use the TM 14 module and reciever he got from the USA. The software will only work with the region code set to North America.

Well with Futaba and the region coding. It is fairly easy to tell if the transmitter is coded for that region. All you have to do is to look at the LCD screen when the transmitter power is on. It will say on the screen what region the transmitter is coded. So it should be very easy to walk up to a Futaba 12FG/12Z/14MZ user in the UK and look and see if the region code is Europe/UK.

David
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I have a feeling that our and your armed forces know what frequencies are being used without looking at a 12/14MZ screen I can even bet they all know where you are by your mobile phone last ON location

As for the US vs UK modules you say that the modules will only work on USA NA. So does that mean there is another software update to let Europe use the 2.4 modules legally

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Mark,
That I don't know. All I am going by is that the ones that have tried to use them in radios with different region codes than North America. I have not read where any have gotten to work. Seems every one I have read that has tried , has changed the region coding to North America.
At least from reading the forums that is the way I am seeing it. I could be wrong. It may be the software update, I really don't know. I guess it is the have to have it first syndrome no matter what they have to do.

David
Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

David

The region problem you say may be right due to the power output. ie US version will not work on a UK set due to the legal power output even if you change the region code. I'm sure Futaba have looked into this at many $$$$ spent. How else could they sell the equipment across the globe

Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi all
I'm very sorry for that confusion
It has been just a calibration mistake during region code changing
I want to thank all of you and above tchavei from RR that clearly suggested to me what to do
Servos movement are very smooth and fast
Thank you very much
Have a nice sunday with 2.4ghz
CIAO
G
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Just to clarify

You are using a US 2.4 module in a Europe TX with no problems?

It would be nice to know what power output your having?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, quite a few have gotten the US module to work in non-US 14MZs. They just changed the region code in the Tx with the calibration utility. The modules are working at full power, and since they frequency hop, the peaks are 100mW, but constant is below that.

Legal? Who knows. Covered by their model flight associations? Most likely not.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
oak
Registered Users

AFAIK Futaba FASST is transmitting with the same power no matter which region it is made for.

And BTW, the whole region thing in Futaba transmitters is a really a Futaba-"thing" and I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with rules about legality.
oak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak View Post
AFAIK Futaba FASST is transmitting with the same power no matter which region it is made for.

And BTW, the whole region thing in Futaba transmitters is a really a Futaba-"thing" and I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with rules about legality.
If you recall, the original 12FG,12Z, 14MZ 2.4 ghz module had a dip switch on it. This switch was there to switch the transmitting power to allow it to be used in those countries that require a different power output.
That is why the redesign of the module took place. To take that responsibilty away from the modeler. Now that power change is done with the software and module. So I would think the region coding and software play a part in that process. As for the power output being different. I would check the regs for each country and see what the power output requirements are.
Also 2.4 ghz for RC is not legal to use in Japan yet. So I would think the Japanese are pretty responsible as for power output requirements for other countries. I know here in the USA it has to pass FCC requirements as to power output.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in