Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters

Miniature Aircraft Helicopters Stratus, Spectra G, Furion, Ion-X, Bobby Watts

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Convert Tempest to Flybarless?

I have a tempest that has an extreme head on it, it was my fathers, and he had i guess set it up for FAI originally, then put the extreme hea on it for more 3d feel?

But anyway, I fly it now, and i got used to the 100% locked in feel of my gaui x3, and then when i fly the tempest i feel almost not as connected to the heli.

I was at a fun fly last weekend and a guy said that these are easy to convert to flybarless. He was syaing something about removing the flybar (duh) and all its related parts on the head, then linking the blade grips right to the swash. He said thats all id have to do to it other than putting a fbl unit on it, to make the heli flybarless.

Is this true, and if so, how exactly do i go about doing this? Thanks for any help
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You would need a swash driver. If you search some old threads for MrMel E Stratus FBL
I think you will find some old threads about this. From back in 07 or 08. I'll see if i can find a few.

chuck
Chuck Bole is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I broke out the machine again and flew a tank through it but the transition from my flybarless machines to flybar is not something I'm happy with.

I had a thought. If I bought a flybarless head that matches the main shaft diameter, and made up some links, is there any reason this wouldn't work? I was thinking like an align 700 head. I know it's probably sacrilege to put an align head on one of these but...

So what's everyone's opinion on this? Or is there a simpler/better option that I'm missing.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I seen a guy at the St. Louis Funfly last month with a Mikado rotor head and follower on a fury. Looked like it flew fine.

Chuck
Old 07-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides needing a swash driver, and maybe some beefier links, does anyone see anything that won't work with this setup? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default This is my x-cell ion now FBL

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_214703.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	661496
I think it is a Tempest head
HELI_FUN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cryhavoc1 likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet. So I'm on the right path. I emailed a machine shop and asked if they could make a little spacer or collar so I could use a head off my X7 since I have a few spares.

But since it looks like all I need now is a fbl unit and a swash driver, I'll stick with this head.

Thanks for the pics by the way haha
Old 07-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well all the parts are ordered. I got a vbar off here and then a swash driver for an align 600n. It just so happens that the 600n also uses a 10mm main shaft, so I got their whole driver assembly instead of the $50 mikado one.

So hopefully I'll have this baby flying by the weekend since everything is coming priority. I will update when it's all together.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well here it is. All that I have left to do is clean up the wiring and finish setting up the Vbar.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the initial setup is done. I just need to get it tuned in then setup the governor in the Vbar.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

very cool, in the first picture it looks like you did not have the control link to blade grip strait up and down it looked twisted, but the pictures after that looked good, maybe you did not tighten the swash drive clamp down yet in the first photo. Also looked like the swash driver arms were a bit long angling out as it went up but as long as it does not touch outer swash when at 90 deg i guess your all good. Great Job, hope all goes well, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first couple pics I posted was with the original swash follower or whatever it's called. There wasn't a way to clamp that one to the main shaft.

The rest are the final version. At mid stick everything is 90 degrees and zero pitch. The pics are a but hard to show that though. I may go out and test fly today is this rain blows over in time.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
The first couple pics I posted was with the original swash follower or whatever it's called. There wasn't a way to clamp that one to the main shaft.

The rest are the final version. At mid stick everything is 90 degrees and zero pitch. The pics are a but hard to show that though. I may go out and test fly today is this rain blows over in time.
Oh that explains it, hope everything goes well. happy flying
Old 07-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went to fly it last night and was not successful. I couldn't get the aileron to correct the right way. Turns out I messed up and has channels 2 and 3 swapped. After I put those in their correct ports, it now works like it should.

So I'll test fly again either tonight or tomorrow and report back.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I have good news.

The heli flys awesome. It is a totally different machine now. I got it mostly tuned in as far as gains go. It'll still need some work since I was taking it easy making sure everything was good to go, so once I start to fly it like I do my other machines, I'll get it dialed in.

Last edited by 19trax95; 07-19-2016 at 11:33 PM..
19trax95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have got it pretty well tuned in now. Had to make some minor adjustments to the tail settings, but so far haven't touched the head settings at all. I do need to turn up the agility a bit across banks 1 and 2 though since I set it a little soft.

But I flew it a bunch this past weekend at our fun fly and it performed wonderfully. It went from my least favorite to fly, to one I'll likely fly all the time, just with that change.

It will be even better once I get new fuel (picking up a case at ircha) since what I'm running is over 12 years old so I'm sure the nitro has gone away out of it a bit haha.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you steal my heli? I have the same paint scheme! But mine is a fury extreme...I've thought about converting it to fbl, but I like pulling it out like a relic of old times. I still fly it on 72mhz too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160804_233058.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	665054  
explorin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

You didn't happen to buy that used, or live on long Island did you?

Reason I ask is my father painted a few canopies like mine and he even put those tribal type decals on some.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good looking helis.. I have a E Stratus tucked away with i think the same color scheme on the canopy.

chuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in