Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How difficulty to go 4#3b --> 4G3

I am pretty confident flying my 4#3b and Trex 450 Pro and am considering getting the 4G3.

Is the 4G3 more difficult than the 4#3b? I can hover the 4#3b perfectly and do fast flights without much problem.

Looking for something indoor - 4G3 seemed to be logical choice. The brushless version is sold here for $229.

Don't want to go bigger - as I have a Trex 250 Pro also.
davidz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you fly a 250 & 4#3B, 4G3 should be OK. It's cheap fun & fast worry-free CP flying. Get the HP08 main & 2g or 2.9g tail (both are with bearing). If you don't like to tweak & tinker, I'd suggest to stay away.
mprasm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz58 View Post
I am pretty confident flying my 4#3b and Trex 450 Pro and am considering getting the 4G3.

Is the 4G3 more difficult than the 4#3b? I can hover the 4#3b perfectly and do fast flights without much problem.

Looking for something indoor - 4G3 seemed to be logical choice. The brushless version is sold here for $229.

Don't want to go bigger - as I have a Trex 250 Pro also.
You'll have no problems with the 4g3 DBL. By the way I'm thinking of getting a Trex 250 aswell. Are they any good? Is it hard to fly? What is the max flight time do you get with that bird? Is it a twitchy bird??

Thank you

Paul
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera4g3 View Post
You'll have no problems with the 4g3 DBL. By the way I'm thinking of getting a Trex 250 aswell. Are they any good? Is it hard to fly? What is the max flight time do you get with that bird? Is it a twitchy bird??

Thank you

Paul
My Trex 250 PRO is still in the original box. = (

Havn't had time to assemble it.

Get it from Flying Hobby - $295 including Align battery. Shipping was cheap too.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 4G3 is very twitchy, but a lot of fun. If you can fly a 4#3B, you can learn to fly a 4G3... you just might break some blades along the way (the stock 4G3 blades are foam and will get banged up with the most delicate of crashes... no worries though as the blades are quite inexpensive. Go for the Brushless main, but I prefer the brushed tail rather than the new brushless tail. You might also want to consider the new 4G6 that will be released in a few short weeks... it is just slightly larger than a 4G3 and has a direct drive tourqe tube tail (no motor).
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
The 4G3 is very twitchy, but a lot of fun. If you can fly a 4#3B, you can learn to fly a 4G3... you just might break some blades along the way (the stock 4G3 blades are foam and will get banged up with the most delicate of crashes... no worries though as the blades are quite inexpensive. Go for the Brushless main, but I prefer the brushed tail rather than the new brushless tail. You might also want to consider the new 4G6 that will be released in a few short weeks... it is just slightly larger than a 4G3 and has a direct drive tourqe tube tail (no motor).
When you say twitchy - what exactly do you mean by that?

I was thinking about the 4g6 too. But the 4g3 is readily available right now for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 4G3 responds to control inputs in the blink of an eye and moves like lightening. The 4#3B flies like a little tractor in comparison.
If I was in your shoes I'd wait for the 4G6 because the tail motor is the biggest issue on the 4G3 - unless you really can't wait and don't mind buying both

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

twitchy = sensitive, likely to over react to the slightest input.
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz58 View Post
When you say twitchy - what exactly do you mean by that?

I was thinking about the 4g6 too. But the 4g3 is readily available right now for me.

The 4g3 is a real challange. I like it. It keeps me on my toes. Try one out. I bought mine from chinesejade.com/walkera because I'm Aus. Check out Clubheli, they have a real good reputation for their services and products. Great support
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
twitchy = sensitive, likely to over react to the slightest input.
Yes, but you can mitigate that with the setting on the 2801 tx, not sure if the 2601 has those setting. I set d/r to 100% and exp to 50% for all 3. She seemed to settle down after that. I've also screwed with all the settings so I'm not really sure which one did it.
Function over ALL else
my photography http://BesPhoto.com
mikejbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejbb View Post
Yes, but you can mitigate that with the setting on the 2801 tx, not sure if the 2601 has those setting. I set d/r to 100% and exp to 50% for all 3. She seemed to settle down after that. I've also screwed with all the settings so I'm not really sure which one did it.
mikejbb i'm trying out everyone settings, do you mind telling me how did you set you d/r to 100% exp to 50 % for all 3. I have the wk2801 TX 4g3 DBL full metal. At the moment mine hovers for 3 seconds, and yes mine is still slightly twitchy.

Thank you

Paul
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera4g3 View Post
mikejbb i'm trying out everyone settings, do you mind telling me how did you set you d/r to 100% exp to 50 % for all 3. I have the wk2801 TX 4g3 DBL full metal. At the moment mine hovers for 3 seconds, and yes mine is still slightly twitchy. Thank you Paul
Well it sounds like yours is setup way better than mine. Mine doesn't seem twitchy to me, but does need input all the time. I expect I need to do setup to the linkages... I'm flying just like it came out of the box with only a tiny bit of trim backwards. But to answer your ? ENT -> MDSET -> DR&EXP ->
ELEV/AIL/RUDD - D/R 100% - EXP +50% on the 2801 you can see the curve change as you make adjustments and I like the feel of 50% exp.
AUTO INH on all
Watch out for the AILE D/R switch on the top right of the tx, I just set pos 0 and I don't use pos 1.
But if you're getting 3 whole seconds of hands off hover, your machine is setup excellent. I'm new to cp heli's and have a lot to learn (everything) about setup.
Function over ALL else
my photography http://BesPhoto.com
mikejbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check this out, this might be a better choice than 4G3:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=149203
http://linkahwai.blogspot.com/
linkahwai is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 4#3Bl, the 4G3, AND I have a home made direct drive tail 4g3. The Fixed pitch 4#3b is a Must own IMO, but with the G6 direct drive not being released, I would wait for it instead of buying the tail motored 4G3 CP.

the reason why I made my own tail drive, was that I found that I was using and enjoying my FP, 4#3b every night at home.My 4#3B was crashed and hit off the furniture and walls and experienced hourly ceiling suck and came back asking for more, every time, where I dreaded firing up my 4G3 because in comparison, it was always needing some part replaced, or adjusted, and unlike the #3B, the crashes usually never end without incident. You WILL need to stop and fix, or worse, order something!

Doing the tail mod had helped immensely , and so this is why I would strongly consider waiting for this baby
Note: My home made rig is nowhere near as pretty as this stunner. Mine looks like I had no money for repair parts after a big crash, but it works and is miles above the stock setup.

I have learned to listen to the advice of Steve J. both my frustration level and my credit card balance has gone down considerably since. I know I'm much happier now because Steve told me I am.
PittJitsu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in