Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just ordered a Swift Carbon. Set up advice?

I just ordered a Swift Carbon 550 and was looking to get some setup advice on what to run in it. I was thinking on running 6s 5000mah packs and need motor options. I have DS821 servos to run in it and was going to run a gy520 with a DS650 servo. Any advice on building it or normal wear parts to keep on hand etc. Help me spend some money.
Jay131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Currently I am running 5000mah packs through a CC Talon 90 Speed controller into a Scorpion 910kv motor with a 10t pinnion. I can get upto 1800rpm headspeed and with a 11t pinion, I can get over 2100rpm.
Ontaeronut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontaeronut View Post
Currently I am running 5000mah packs through a CC Talon 90 Speed controller into a Scorpion 910kv motor with a 10t pinnion. I can get upto 1800rpm headspeed and with a 11t pinion, I can get over 2100rpm.
The Talon 90 sounds great but I can't seem to find a 910kv scorpion. is it a HK4020-910? I am new to 550 size motors and am a little confused. I have a Scorpion in my mini titan and think its a great motor and would be willing to buy another for the 550 but I don't know what one to buy.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay131 View Post
The Talon 90 sounds great but I can't seem to find a 910kv scorpion. is it a HK4020-910? I am new to 550 size motors and am a little confused. I have a Scorpion in my mini titan and think its a great motor and would be willing to buy another for the 550 but I don't know what one to buy.

Yes, that is my motor. I got it from Dennis at the Heli Farm. The easiest to go with would probally be a 1100kv motor. Scorpion makes a nice one in that range. A buddy of mine has one for a project.

There is a few good threads on here about the Swifts. Including a really good one by FR4-Pilot, he is using Swift Nx's, but they are the same bird just with a different frame set i believe. He is playing with a few different setups and doing alot of research into the best set up. Check it out.

Here is the link to his thread.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=415189

Cheers,

Carl
Ontaeronut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Like Ontaeronut has said the 1100kv is the most common KV motor for 6s but I really like the 800-910kv range in the Swifts as it gave options for lower and higher headspeeds. The 1100 works fine with the castle governor as it drops the speed a fair amount for headroom.I also found that the 650A 800KV Century motor was more efficient in the Swift than the 600A 1100 kv. What it comes down to is how do you want to fly your Swift. Smooth basic flight at a lower headspeed for longer more efficent flights or a higher headspeed with more aggressive flight and lower flight times. I have a swift carbon that I have a 1100KV hacker in and it is on 5s as it will be going into a fuselage. It works very nice like this. If it was for aggressive sport and 3D flying it would be 6s though.

Last edited by Dennis P; 10-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Spelling !!
Dennis P is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Like Ontaeronut has said the 1100kv is the most common KV motor for 6s but I really like the 850-910kv range in the Swifts as it gave options for lower and higher headspeeds. The 1100 works fine with the castle governor as it drops the speed a fair amount for headroom.I also found that the 650A 850KV Century motor was more efficient in the swift than the 600A 1100 kv. What it comes down to is how do you want to fly your Swift. Smooth basic flight at a lower headspeed for longer more efficent flights or a higher headspeed with more aggressive flight and lower flight times. I have a swift carbon that I have a 1100KV hacker in and it is on 5s as it will be going into a fuselage. It works very nice like this. If it was for aggressive sport and 3D flying it would be 6s though.
I am only planning on sport flying, no 3d as of now. I would rather have smooth and stable flight with a lower headspeed. I didn't see the 650a 850kv motor listed on Centurys website, do you have a link? That sounds like the way to go for what I want to accomplish.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Guys! Good to hear another Swift pilot has joined the fun

Bummer - Century discontinued many of their motors, but I believe this is the OEM version of the 800kV motor they used to carry:

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=1903

The price is comparable to what Century used to charge - specs look identical. I got mine used from Dennis and it's a great motor.

I also prefer the 800kV over the 1100kV. It really opens up a wide range of head speeds from 1000 RPM up to 2000 RPM, using both 5S and 6S packs and a 12T pinion. Having an ESC with Active Freewheeling REALLY helps as it allows lower throttle curves and lower head speeds (where traditional ESCs let you go down to 80%, an Active Freewheeling ESC will let you go down to 50% without getting hot). Asymmetrical blades work really well for the 1000 RPM range.

I am also using the 1100kv with a 9T pinion and I've found I like it better with a 5S pack (1800 RPM) instead of 6S (2000 RPM). But that's just me

It's been a while since I built my helis, but I documented a few things along the way - helps me refer back when I have a question too

Swift NX
http://fr4pilot-swiftnx550.blogspot.com/

Swift 16
http://fr4pilot-swift16arf.blogspot.com/

Good luck and congrats!

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the help, I checked out the links and those will help a lot. I will probably go for the 800kv because I am looking for a sport flier that is efficient with longer flight times and cooler temps. FR I noticed you also have Mini Titans, how do the Swifts compare as far as stability?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Swifts are very stable helis. Well balanced and well behaved. Very similar to the Mini-Titans, just bigger. The metal tail case made mine a little tail heavy, but not too much.

If you like the MTs then you'll like the Swifts - they'll handle more wind too, so more days to fly, at least around here

You might want to consider the triple bearing tail grips if the stock radial grips begin to give you problems. Both of my helis had the radial tail grips and I chased tail problems on both until I replaced them with the triple bearing versions. Just something to watch out for - could have just been my luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does this seem like a good motor choice http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperion-HS-...item2c70789297 ? It seems to be a decent price and is between the 800kv and 1100kv. I will probably order up those tail grips as a precaution.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a nice motor - not exactly sure why they suggest 8-10 cells "typical" though. Could be an RPM thing, perhaps they're assuming the customer wants a high head speed (?)
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Looks like a nice motor - not exactly sure why they suggest 8-10 cells "typical" though. Could be an RPM thing, perhaps they're assuming the customer wants a high head speed (?)
I assume they are going off a Trex 550 and with 6s 12 tooth the Rex would be at 1200 rpm headspeed with that motor so it would need 8s.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found that a critical part of the assembly is on page 9, step #6. It is imperative for a good mechanical relationship to a proper radio set-up, that when you CNE581 bellcrank to the pivot shaft, that it is at 90* when the A-Arm is also at 90* as per the diagram.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRotor View Post
I found that a critical part of the assembly is on page 9, step #6. It is imperative for a good mechanical relationship to a proper radio set-up, that when you CNE581 bellcrank to the pivot shaft, that it is at 90* when the A-Arm is also at 90* as per the diagram.
I will watch this for sure when im building it. I don't know whats up with the shipping from heli-world. I ordered almost a week ago and the UPS tracking still shows "Label created" but it doesn't look like its on the way yet. The website states "in stock" but so far its not showing shipped. I hope they ship parts a little quicker
Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran my swift 16 on 6S 4800mAh and 5S 3700mAh for 10min and 8min with hs between 1600-1800. I could have pushed for 12min and 10min, but figured to proceed with caution and fly 10/8. I used a century 650A+ 800KV and I think it was an 11 or 12T pinion. I also loosened the belt just enough to free up some mAh. With lower hs, you don't need the belt to be overly tight, but still tight enough that the belt wont slip over the tail gear with moderate force.

Mind you this is a sport setup, so there won't be any "smack" or "pop". It's a very casual and relaxing flight, suited well for big rolls, flips, etc. Much better than the 4-5min flights you get with an angry wasp setup. I actually regret selling the 16, but I needed the cash under duress. You can still do almost all stunts as a tuned up heli, albeit slower and larger.

You might want to upgrade to the nx struts CNE612 as the carbon 550 comes with the old swift 16 struts. They break fairly easy on a rough landing with 5000mAh ish packs.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking about the landing gear struts - most definitely go to the CNE612's and spread them out to an 8 inch spread as described in this thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=548036

Giving credit where credit is due, if memory serves, this mode to prevent the possible spool down dance, was first discovered by one of Dennis P's customers
Old 10-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there any skids from other mfgs that work on the Swift?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontaeronut View Post
I ordered the Talon 90 and a Hyperion 910kv (same as Scorpion) and 9-11 tooth pinions.for 6s 5000mah. Since I have almost the same set up you have I was wondering if your running governor mode and your settings? Are you running a separate RX battery or external Bec, or is the Talon internal Bec good enough?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay131 View Post
I ordered the Talon 90 and a Hyperion 910kv (same as Scorpion) and 9-11 tooth pinions.for 6s 5000mah. Since I have almost the same set up you have I was wondering if your running governor mode and your settings? Are you running a separate RX battery or external Bec, or is the Talon internal Bec good enough?
What is the outer diameter of the Hyperion 910 KV motor that you ordered?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRotor View Post
What is the outer diameter of the Hyperion 910 KV motor that you ordered?
I cant find the dimensions and the motor isn't here yet but its the 4020-910 motor with a 5mm shaft so I don't think its the 600 class motor if that is what you were trying to figure out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in