Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

In the end if your tools are stripping screws and I don't give a darn how good you feel they are, they are not fitting the screw properly!

Bob
No one have said different, if they strip it it pretty obvious that the tool used are not ALIGN with the heads. But in this case it is that the screws are not fitting the right tool! Not the other way around. 2mm hex is 2mm hex, no more no less. Do not blame the tools, or worse the people trying their best putting these kit together. Blame the screws!!

And offcourse as I observed in the first couple of posts in this thread there are large amount of Align ambassadors in this forum. Not even a statement from align themselves would be enough to get these fellows to open their eyes and ears and understand.
8-Ball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For $30 RCScrewz is a nice upgrade. I picked up a kit after stripping a few of the stock screws.
lodi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the main problem is that every body that is new jus goes out and buys alen wrenches / keys from the tool shop and uses them, and expects them to be the best, i spent 15$ IF that, on align ones and NEVER EVER stripped a screw, they even work VERY good on my logo 500, i think if your getting into this hobby, PURCHASE the proper tools, and drivers.

I did notice that the align tools are hardend tip's ALONG with maybe a hair bigger on each tip.

Trick to this hobby is to buy the tools when you start, its well worth it.

Jase
Old 07-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No matter how you word it, it all boils down to this:

If you aren't willing to get a new set of screws, or a $20.99 set of tools(looked at em in the hobby shop 45 minutes ago), fly a different helicopter.

Whining about it will get you no where.

Plus, I still question the tools being discussed... there are many of us out there that have built 5 or more Align helis(myself included), and NEVER EVER stripped a single screw(except philips screws of course... they just suck).

And I DON'T own the Align hex drivers, nor have I ever even held one in my hands.

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its definitely soft screws in the 500 kit... with 3 450`s and one 600e and two 600n builds I have rounded of the screw driver well before the screw its self,
The screws in the 500 just seem to round off very easily.

I did get one of these and its got to be the best fit for the align kits so far.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...river_1.5~_3.0
TBS Discovery FPV
dna001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

The only screws I had problems with are the motor mount screws which I felt needed to be stronger. So I went with normal M3 screws which helped.

Regardless, even the Align tools do start to wear down. I've had 2 sets and one set, the 3mm head is starting wear a little. But getting the Align tools pretty much have solved my build problems for the most part.
docjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with the threadstarter. The kit is very cheap compared to other birds built by Align. I posted a very similar topic while building mine. And while I was building and getting pissed, I was ready to sell it once it was complete. But after I maidened it, it made it all go away. I still didn't get passed the point that Align needs to step up and provide better screws in their kit. I too have a few screws that aren't tight and the washers spin. I used CA and they stopped spinning. The wrong thing to do?...YOu bet ya! That's why I went ahead and purchased the Align Tools. I also purchased a new junk kit of frame hardware from Align and am waiting to rebuild with mods in the future. I feel your pain it is unacceptable but at least it flies good even if it's got a few loose screws
Leftyatm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My 500 build went swimmingly I do though dress up my allen wrenches regularly and when there is nothing left I get new ones. It is very importamt IMO, to have nice sharp allen wrenches. Worn wrenches will strip bolts every time.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #49 (permalink)

lodi, how do you like the rcsrewz set for the T500?

Pros and cons?
McLaine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default My final thoughts on this

Look, I wasn't trying to start WWII here. I was just frustrated and needed to vent. The person I spoke about earlier whom has built many T500's was hsowing me today the drivers he uses to build all of the heli's. What do you know, He uses "Align" drivers on Align helis and like I said, he had the same problem recently. He said he did not have the problem until recently so he also thinks they maybe changed something.
I got some "Align" replacement screws from him and they still fit just as loose in the driver bu they don't strip. They go right in, imagine that.
Anyway, as I also posted, I was going to continue because even though I sometimes will say I might give up, I never do. I refuse to let myself be beaten by anything or anyone. My 500 is built and flies awesome. I think it's definitely worth the price tag and actually flies better than some other (more expensive) 500 size heli's of my buddies that I have been fortunate enough to get to fly.
My original opinion that the screws are junk and that it's BS that they include them in the kit still stands. After getting the replacement screws and having them work as intended is what I am basing this on.

I am also am not one to dwell on negative things so I will not read this thread again.

So, thanks for your input whether negative or positive and let's eat. I mean, fly on.
~Tron~ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do we really need to gripe or vent about screws? That much disappointment to start this thread?
vicrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #52 (permalink)

This thread is screwed.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #53 (permalink)

My HF Map location

My take on this is simple: I never like to use anything but stainless steel hardware, including link balls.

I almost always find out what hardware is needed for a project and then go find all the stainless hardware I need to replace what I consider to be suspect materials at best. RC Skrewz is a great (though pricey) resource for this.

Sometimes this is costly, but I look at it as insurance to reduce the likelihood that $30-$50 worth of hardware won't cost me a $2000 model.

There are always exceptions, stainless isn't always the best choice, but in my experience, it holds up better & if I don't go Mighty Joe Young on it, I don't have to worry about stretching or corrosion, ever.

YMMV
Wyldman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Even after a rebuild after a crash I have yet to strip a screw!
BUT I am using the Align tools...

This is NOT NEW and has been a much discussed issue way back on the original 450!. Screws made in China (not just Align) seem to have a slightly over sized hex size... Even good USA made hex tools don't fit them right.

However if your that PO'ed about a tool issue to get rid of one of the BEST electric helis out there rather then spend $20 on the Align tool set... So be it.. You will miss flying a kick arse heli... See ya next time and sorry... But don;t let the hex tool kick you in the rear on the way out the door

Bob
Even with the Align toolset the screws strip VERY easy... They are very soft. I know lot's of people that have them strip and ARE using the Align toolset.

Face it, the screws do suck.

Ron
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #55 (permalink)

The "sucking" sound heard upon stripping the Align screw is the sound the inhalation required to verbally praise the quality of the aforementioned screw.

&^@#$%*^@%*#, and futhermore, &^%#@&$#*@#%%*@$$*($%%@%
Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

I've built several 450's and now many months back, a 500. I continue to be puzzled by screw issues as discussed here. I've never stripped a screw, initially using the tools I had on hand, and later after getting Align tools. Are Align parts perfect? No! But they do the job, and their birds fly great. Maybe we get better stuff here in the midwest!
edge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've seen enough of those smiley's Scotty, people get the message now. Make that one the last one please...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry man, this thread just seems to be getting to the point of monotony.
Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sooo.. .how about those screws?
mikelebron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in