Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: problem with setting up gov

Sending unit to SK for investigation.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be willing to send you my old 720 Blue to try if you were in the U.S. At least it would determine if something was wrong with your unit because I know it flies just fine.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

BE stil underway to Canada. Meanwhile installed my old vbar again and it has 10 flights without problems or drift. I'm very confident something was very off in the unit. If so I will gladly try again
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unit underway from Skookum to me again.

I have put it for sale here on HF if anyone is intrested.

Im done with SK. They first installed the new firmware before testing and said it works now but dont know if it was the firmware. What company does this. Now I will never know what was and if anything is wrong. Very unprofessional.

Last edited by velocity90; 11-01-2013 at 11:18 AM..
velocity90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity90 View Post
They first installed the new firmware before testing and said it works now but dont know if it was the firmware. What company does this. Now I will never know what was and if anything is wrong. Very unprofessional.
=] so, you are saying when the unit arrived SK loaded the latest firmware to it, then it tested ok?

as opposed to they released untested firmware?

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity90 View Post
Unit underway from Skookum to me again.

I have put it for sale here on HF if anyone is intrested.

Im done with SK. They first installed the new firmware before testing and said it works now but dont know if it was the firmware. What company does this. Now I will never know what was and if anything is wrong. Very unprofessional.
They wrote the new software to eliminate known issues. So playing with the old discontinued version is going backwards. Why even do that? It is a waste of time. I have had 4 or 5 units into Sk through the last 5 years. And have always gotten back a perfect unit, no explanations ever came with them. In at least 4 occasions the one they sent back was completely new! Their job is to send out a perfect working unit with today's available tech. To right the wrongs and send back a known working unit. If you have problems now with the new software, then they are going to want to know why. With the old software, there is already a reason why.

Your buyer is going to get a very nice Skookum.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a problem nobody here seems to believe but 3 people (the only 3 sk units here) have the exact same problem.

So testing it the way I sent it is normal in my eyes. Now everyone here keeps believing its me. (i helped a lot of people setting up there heli, all good, im not a beginner)

Don't you find it very strange 3 people at our club have the exact same issue?

One unit was sold and that person now has the same drift. So that's 4 helis. They fly vbar now, no drift.

SK needs to be honest. There's a problem with them clearly. 3 different people. Also if you Google more have the drift problem.

I'm very precise with my setups. According to SK something must be wrong with my helis. Meanwhile I reinstalled my vbar and have aprox 100 trouble free flights. No problem with my helis.

Please note my unit already had 3.42 before it got released. That wasn't the problem. They saw very strange things in the log. As if I flew my heli without any gyro correction, and now there's nothing wrong? Why does my vbar work without issues at all? Not only on my machine but 4 different helis?

In case you still think we are beginners:

Sam - Hobbymaniac @ HCW Gaui X7 (4 min 24 sec)

Actually this was a Scorpion esc test
Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default problem with setting up gov

I'm trying to trade my sk540 for a vbar as my x5 has a tail dropping issue. In a hover, CG dead on, swash level with the soko tool the tail will just drop and it will lean to the right. I have tried everything to fix it. I'm just sick of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

No insult was intended. I respect you and your decision. But I do understand Skookum installing the latest software before venturing any further. I am sure they believed you also! As do I. LMH
Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #110 (permalink)

=] certainly no disrespect intended here either, I just need to be clear on what is being disputed, if there is gyro issue we need to know about it.

the way you are going about it will not help to resolve this, could you please re-try the unit, you are a great asset to the forum and it would be sad to see you go, please?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I'm trying to trade my sk540 for a vbar as my x5 has a tail dropping issue. In a hover, CG dead on, swash level with the soko tool the tail will just drop and it will lean to the right. I have tried everything to fix it. I'm just sick of it.

Your the 4th person with the exact same issue. This is definitely the units.

I have to think about installing it again but since the auto rotation bailout doesn't function I lm pretty sure I won't install it again. (if you calibrate endpoints the sk outputs another value than the learned thr hold ) art knows this is wrong but nothing is fixed yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #112 (permalink)

=] your call on this one, up to you, either way, best georgi.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default problem with setting up gov

Saying this. The gov has always worked. It's just the tail drop and the right lean is finally getting to me.

newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dekker, you wrote:

"They first installed the new firmware before testing and said it works now but dont know if it was the firmware."

With all respect, you mis-read my email, but did not post my correction a short time later. I first test flew the unit as it came in, then upgraded it and flew it again. Then I tested it back-to-back with a known-good unit with both having the most up to date firmware. The logs are almost identical. But yes I still don't know if your problem would be solved by the new firmware, on your heli.

There are only a few reports of this, the ones from your location and maybe the one other on this thread. There are thousands of units. The changes we made to reduce elevator nodding had subtle side effects on a small number of helis, and we are working on further upgrades to the system due out in the new year. We have had very few complaints though, for the great majority performance improved.

It's always possible that something in common between the helis at your field is causing a common problem. One X7 is not necc like another; blades, setup, rpm, etc all change its character.

With the bail-out recovery issue, the escs all work differently and it takes time to test so it works on them all. It's easy to accidentally break it for one while fixing it for another.

- Art
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Learning thr hold to the unit (ext gov) is there for a good reason. If I flip thr hold the unit should always give this learned value to the esc.

Very logic safety here. Luckely I can measure this with my jeti box to correct it.

Also since we are going personal here, you told me there's something very wrong, like the unit didn't know how to correct. I have 100+ flights since I reinstalled my vbar. There's nothing wrong with my heli or the other 3 at our field. I'm sure some day a problem will be found in the units.

Maybe I will try it on my Voodoo 600. The ultimate test. Or my warp 360.

Maybe the gov works ok but if I can give a suggestion :add a possibility to adjust collective and cyclic add. Also viewing of rpm on the bench.

Last if I Google drift + skookum I find more than only our cases the problem seems very common.

You wrote in an earlier email that first was installed the new firmware and then tested. It also said that it worked perfectly and that you didn't know if it was because of the firmware. (there's the confusion, I can post the email if it's wished)

Further more I had to wait a long time to get answers. If it is promised that tomorrow the unit will be tested I don't expect to have to send an email a week later to ask if it was tested already.

Understand its a lot of money I payed for the unit and all that time I have a heli grounded.

At our field alone we have the exact same problem as was described above on the following helis :

X7
Goblin 630
Goblin 500
Compass atom 500

All very different but good helis and all trouble free now with vbars. So again, nothing wrong with all 4 helis and my guess is nothing is wrong with the x5 posted above with same problem, tail drop and drift right, axacty the problem that can be seen in my vid.

SK720BE problem (4 min 32 sec)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

>Maybe the gov works ok but if I can give a suggestion :add a possibility to adjust collective and cyclic add. Also viewing of rpm on the bench.

This already exists, check the tail tab. The same adjustments feed into the governor.

Helis will also drift if they are mis-adjusted or have high hiller-decay. The hiller decay feature, under another name or not named, exists on every unit I have tried, to varying degrees.

Each gyro brand and each heli are a bit different, and different groups of people have their own habits. The combination of heli type + blades + servos + mechanical tuning + gyro + habits + flying style is a lot, there's not necessarily anybody at fault, or anything wrong with your heli or the gyro. Helis are complicated beasts.

(and I don't take the missed posting re the testing personally, you are in a very different time zone)
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can turn any link on my heli 2 turns in and it won't drift since the fbl unit should correct it. That its function. I can make a video of it if desired.

Don't understand which gov settings. Tail precomp and collective add (rpm increase with the stick which you adjust with a value that basicly sets a v-curve) are 2 different things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in