Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Heli Build - Trex 700e DFC

I'm spastic at interpreting directions, so I had my current Trex 550 built for me. And I'm scared to death to fly it aggressively, because...I wouldn't know how to fix it. So, I've decided to jump in with both feet and buy a Trex 700e DFC HV.

I've reviewed a couple build threads and wanted to confirm components I will need. Most importantly...do I need a receiver with the 3GX? I was planning on the AR7000, but someone told me it's not necessary. Here is what I think that I need:

700e DFC HV Kit
AR72000 receiver
6S 5000 65C lipos
Series connector for lipos
2S 2100 25 C lipo for the receiver
Connector for the receiver lipo
Swashplate level
Pitch gauge

Any recommendations are appreciated...I will sort through and pull the trigger later tonight. Thanks.
jstan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan View Post
I'm spastic at interpreting directions, so I had my current Trex 550 built for me. And I'm scared to death to fly it aggressively, because...I wouldn't know how to fix it. So, I've decided to jump in with both feet and buy a Trex 700e DFC HV.

I've reviewed a couple build threads and wanted to confirm components I will need. Most importantly...do I need a receiver with the 3GX? I was planning on the AR7000, but someone told me it's not necessary. Here is what I think that I need:

700e DFC HV Kit
AR72000 receiver
6S 5000 65C lipos
Series connector for lipos
2S 2100 25 C lipo for the receiver
Connector for the receiver lipo
Swashplate level
Pitch gauge

Any recommendations are appreciated...I will sort through and pull the trigger later tonight. Thanks.
Hi jstan,
Big welcome to 700 club...
I'm still waiting for my Super Combo... Soon!!

Chas
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Traxxas QR-1 RealFlight Drone 6.5
ChasCS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming you have Spektrum transmitter ie. DX6i, DX7 or DX8 you won't need a receiver. However you will need to order qty 2 DSMX satellite receivers. They plug right into the 3GX. It's convenient to use a serial adapter to tie the 2 6S batteries together. Otherwise you can buy the more pricey 12S packs. Most are also using a separate battery pack for the RX (3GX) system. I use a 2200mah 2S lipo. Your kit may come with an Align voltage regulator and should be fine if you don't fly 3D. A good upgrade from that would be a ProTek like this. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Regulator

Also replace the tail hub washers with anything thicker steel than the OE washers (see thread on this topic) from the getgo.

I hope this helps. I hope others chime in to make your holiday purchase a great one!

Jeff B
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_7A View Post
Assuming you have Spektrum transmitter ie. DX6i, DX7 or DX8 you won't need a receiver
I'm pretty sure he'll need an Rx if he has a Dx6i because the gain channel in the 3gx is mapped to Channel 7.

-Edit- ......and he wont need a regulator either if getting the HV.
I had a 2 lead y-harness (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMYHEC36) from my 2S Lipo straight into 2 ports on the 3g which supports up to 8.4v from memory and then, obviously, the servos to the 3gx.

Last edited by Bonkievan; 11-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: more info
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good call. ^^^

Jeff B
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback...I am very excited about figuring this whole thing out and maiden by new year!

I use a JR 9303 transmitter, so it sounds like I don't NEED a receiver. But do I WANT one? The fact that it's in the product info, makes me think that there are some advantages to using an receiver and connecting the 2S battery to it.

Other question is re: the voltage regulator...is this only required if I opt NOT to use a receiver or in all cases? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bonkievan - I think I saw how you used the split wire connector, but thought you ran from the battery to the receiver...does it connect to the 3GX instead? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

[quote=jstan;4475547]Thanks for the feedback...I am very excited about figuring this whole thing out and maiden by new year!

I use a JR 9303 transmitter, so it sounds like I don't NEED a receiver. But do I WANT one? The fact that it's in the product info, makes me think that there are some advantages to using an receiver and connecting the 2S battery to it.

Im not familar with your tx(I run a dx8) so perhaps others can be more specific but as its 9Ch and dsm2, there would be no reason not to run 2 Sats off the 3gx. Less clutter, so far as wiring goes. In saying that, some people prefer to run a full range Rx on large Helis plus Sat. Myself personnally, and i'll comment what I ran when I had the 3gx on my 700DFC, I just ran 2 Sats off the 3gx and it flew fine. I now have a HC3sx FBL unit and still run 2 Sats off that also for my Hv setup too btw

Other question is re: the voltage regulator...is this only required if I opt NOT to use a receiver or in all cases? Thanks.

There are a few different scenarios to your above question but I'll just comment on the 700 DFC HV setup you have stated you'd like to run.
Basically, with the Hv combo you can forget about the regulator (and the Rx if you so wish).
Again, others may like to post on other setups but as the 3gx and Hv servos in the Combo all support the voltage output direct from a 2S lipo, this is certainly one of the more common setups I believe .

[quote=jstan;4475587]Bonkievan - I think I saw how you used the split wire connector, but thought you ran from the battery to the receiver...does it connect to the 3GX instead? Thanks.
Yes, you are right. From your 2S lipo you plug the 2 Y-leads direct into 2 power-bus ports on the 3gx and you're good to go.

As I said, there are other ways to do things and I'm sure people will comment further, but this is just what I ran on mine on the recommendation of the majority i spoke to here on HF when I built mine not to long ago.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW jstan,

Following on from what RV_7A said regarding the current 'tail issues'.......
Many have destroyed or grounded helis as they dont want to risk flying (like mine) because of it, so I would recommend perhaps 'holding' on pulling the trigger until Align sort this issue. No point buying an expensive, potentially defective heli, when I fix should be around the corner.

Alternatively, buy it and wait for whatever 'fix' Align comes up with. This may include buying the upgrade though, unfortunately.
Hopefully Align will 'come to the party' on that and either heavily discount or, maybe wishful thinking provide for free, the 'upgrade' to all those who have brought the 700DFC.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sell the 3GX and get an AR7200BX, FBL and RX all in one, just run one Sat for signal diversity.
I find BeastX easy to set up and requires little to no fine tuning to fly really nice.

Align Digital pitch gauge is nice, so is the align swash leveller for 600-700.

With regards to series connector, you can just solder one EC5 to each ESC wire and then run a bridge between them. so the series is built directly into your ESC conectors without the need for a harness.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do yourself a faver and go to Finless's tech page and watch his build vids. There is a ton of info there.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=74703
HankAz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

one better vid by colin building the 700 dfc

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijejqKCxes&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56vGxk3ewko&feature=relmfu[/ame]
Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awsome...probably should have done this prior to ordering a lot of stuff. It will be interesting to see what I need to buy/return after reviewing. Thanks all!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default One Last thing...

Thanks all...I think that I'm ready to go with the exception of the receiver batt. I like the Y-connection method. One last question...is a standard 2S, 25C lipo ok to use or do I need to get a specific receiver batt. Those look to have around 5-8C. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Higher c rating gives no disadvantage, batteries give what they are able when the system demands it, if the batteries are not able to deliver the full amperage due to low c rating then the village will sag.
Batteries will never give more than the system demands.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
..........then the village will sag.

Really?
You must have some unusual amperage round your parts Steemo

To the OP. I run a 2200mah 25c on my 700dfc hv. I run telemetry off that also.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys...net result is that it looks like I have the right stuff coming so any future accidents can certainly only be attributed to equipment failures .
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
Really?
You must have some unusual amperage round your parts Steemo

To the OP. I run a 2200mah 25c on my 700dfc hv. I run telemetry off that also.

You get the picture
Damn swype keyboard
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Successful Maiden Today

I had my first two flights on my 700e DFC this afternoon...and they were awesome. The head and tail tracked wonderfully and I will work on the small amount drift tomorrow.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who took the time to answer questions for a first time build and setup. I honestly didn't think my very small sales brain couldn't figure out how do get this animal together and wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

- Jeff
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan View Post
I had my first two flights on my 700e DFC this afternoon...and they were awesome. The head and tail tracked wonderfully and I will work on the small amount drift tomorrow.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who took the time to answer questions for a first time build and setup. I honestly didn't think my very small sales brain couldn't figure out how do get this animal together and wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

- Jeff
Congrats on the maiden!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in