Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #401 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finishing up my overhaul/6s conversion
Stretched mini 6s
cnc 3rd bearing,pulleys,tail gear
YGE-60
Mks ds95i tail
kst ds115mg cycl
Low fbl head
Lynx 350 mains
Kbdd extreme tail
Desire power 35c 6s
MSH-Brain
Futaba s-bus
(I love my mini!)
Was waiting on cnc servo mnts but couldnt wait any longer, figured time for bearings,good once over.
Now for some good weather.........
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #402 (permalink)
Registered Users

Started my stretch 6s build today. Very nice kit just like my plastic 500. Only issue is aligning the main shaft in the bearings. I had to stick some thin washers between the lower servo frame and the left CF frame side. My 500 lined right up piece of cake, no finagling required at all. No such luck here, but it was only a half hour or so till I figured out a solution. Shaft doesn't fall out, but it goes in with little effort.

So far I have the frame together, head assembled, servos mounted but arms not positioned yet, landing gear on, and tail boom in place... Tomorrow I'll mount the motor and build the tail assembly. Then it'll have to be put on hold till later in the week when I get my tail servo, and then I'll set up the FBL and ESC and stuff.

I hope to maiden next weekend, if weather permits! Then i can compare it to my Warp
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #403 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok , I offended mylittle bird with a pretty hard landing on a hard floor indoors. The outcome, the belt came off and the "jesus" bolt snapped. Nothing else. What to say? Getting more people interested into this bird...!
puttekula is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #404 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Put an ikon ( brain ) on it today. Previously had a ar7200bx. In a word, does feel better and more locked in? Yes. Looking forward to dialing it in. Happy new year all.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #405 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally got the SK720 governor straightened out, replaced the cracked 14t pinion with a 16t.

Flew 4 packs thru it tuning the SK720 and got it pretty good on the last flight.

My confidence has gone way up. I'm not sure how long that pinion contributed to my challenges but now that it's running steady at 3200 RPM I'm able to progress quite a bit better.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #406 (permalink)
Registered Users

Five uneasy packs today, but at least I got some practice and it flew better in the end than it did before. Pack 1: After belt retightening I thought my (minor) tail issues would be better. Nope. Pack 2: Playing around with gyro gain and different head speeds.Still not there. Pack 3: After inspection: Forgot to retighten the boom brace after belt service Wag during spool up gone, tail rock solid again. But: Sudden cyclic input without touching the sticks? Servo monitor shows poti creep on DX8 (again!) Pack 4: After mashing the sticks for a good while servo monitor shows no creep and I dare to take off but flew very carefully. Need to clean the potis though. Pack 5: Then the wind came ...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #407 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YGE programming card II

Just got it yesterday. Any suggestion on the setup of each parameters?...thanks

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #408 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flew it for the first time!!

I did a bunch of bench test and everything look great so put on some blades and had a great first flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #409 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmboy View Post
Just got it yesterday. Any suggestion on the setup of each parameters?...thanks
Nothing major required If you are going to stay with internal governor, set motor parameters per Scorpion tech sheet, startup speed to heli middle, startup power to auto, governor and active freewheeling both on. You should be ok with default gov gains on 3S setup.
RCHN#233 | Lynx Heli Innovations Team
Goblin 700
Carbon |
Protos Max | Goblin 570
baui2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #410 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well last night I realized two things that made me mad :

I am temporarily living at a different (borrowed) house until I find my new permanent residence, and I brought my new Mini Protos and my tail servo with me and planned to install the servo to finish the build and maybe maiden today.

First, I discovered that I left all my metric hex drivers at the old house, over an hour away.

Then later I was browsing the instruction book software and realised that I was supposed to use slow curing epoxy on the tail pushrod ends instead of CA I guess it's better I find out now vs when the pushrod lets loose in flight, but still, how the heck am I supposed to get it apart to start over? I have a bottle of what is supposed to be CA de-bonder, but it doesn't do a damn thing except stink up the joint, and melt foam when you try to un-glue a foamie plane that you messed up on (yes, it happened to me).

So If I can't yank the ends off, I may try to cross drill through the end links and the carbon with a micro drill bit, and pin it with a piece of wire, then rough up the carbon rod and threaded end on the outsides and put a piece of shrink tube with epoxy inside. sounds heavy, but maybe it'll do until I order a new stretch tail pushrod/end links.

I glued the plastic ends on the boom supports with CA instead of epoxy too, but I think I'll leave them because I know that CA bonds plastic and carbon really well, as long as it's cleaned and roughed up, which mine were.

I'm bummed, but at least the build isn't all hung up over only one thing. It's somehow easier to accept when it's two things!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #411 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you cant rip it apart its not coming off in flight. Just check it frequently.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #412 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
If you cant rip it apart its not coming off in flight. Just check it frequently.
+1, seriously if its on there that hard, theres no way its coming off in flight!
I used CA on my first couple of builds because I didnt have anything else.
I now JB weld on everything, that stuff is awesome.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #413 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess after realizing what I did, I figured the more brittle CA glue would fall victim to fatigue from vibrations and such sooner. Though you both make a good point. I guess If I check it before every flight I'll know if it's weakening....

Well, a new rod is cheap enough, so I'll order one, but in the meantime I'll go ahead and use the one I have, and after replacing it with the new one, I'll keep the CA one in my spare parts bin. I guess as long as it passes the tug&pull test it'll at least be good enough for a spare, and I won't let it stop me from flying.

I should get my tools tomorrow and can finish the build and setup. Hope for maiden Thursday at lunch time
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #414 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. Im about to lose it. Today i got my hex drivers and other tools i need, so im all ready to finally install my tail servo to prep for maiden tomorrow... When i realize i left the little tree of servo tab spacer thingies that come in the Protos kit. So i cant mount the damn servo still.

Then i tried to test the strength of the CA glue holding the threaded ends on my tail pushrod. they seemed solid when tugging on them, bit like a dummy, i gave it a bit of a twist, splitting the carbon tube lengthwise.

So now itll sit for another week before i can maiden. So close, yet so far away!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #415 (permalink)

My HF Map location

You could use simple washers.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #416 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Mini Protos today?

Washers would hold it on but not prevent it from wiggling all around. The holes in the servo are way bigger than any screw that could be used because the servo is made to have the rubber grommets in them. I dont have the grommets either. It needs the little pieces that come in the Protos kit that fills the holes and aligns it straight. Plus the big holes on the servo are even open ended so it could completely slide off if the mounts moved. Thnx for the suggestion though.

Oh well, maybe ill just take the whole heli and everything back to the old house this weekend and make sure i finish it there in case i need anything else thats still there. I jist figured i could mount a frickin servo from anywhere. Apparently not. Its hard to work away from my usual bench and tools when i forget stuff.

Last edited by corrosionate; 01-11-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #417 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yay i finally got my tail finished on my stretch 6s mini and got to do my maiden. And two more flights immediately after. Hope to get 3 more in today if the rain holds out. I just had to tweak my tail gain a few notches and i bumped the cyclic gain up a hair. I doubt it'll need much more adjusting, if any. Blade tracking was spot on, as it usually is when I eyeball it, as well as zero pitch at mid stick, so i was able to just enjoy flying as if it werent a maiden at all.

This thing is wicked powerful. It feels even more powerful at 12 deg collective than my Warp so far with 13 deg collective . Im guessing thats due to the lower weight but similar size and power. My ugly tic-tocks are all over the sky no matter what im flying but it seems more effortless to make them tight with this Mini.

Idk, but i would have to do some extensive long term comparisons to decide which i like more, this or the Warp, but I already know i like them both, so screw it. Theyre both a part of the family now. They dont have to compete for my affection! Lol
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #418 (permalink)
Registered Users

I almost finished building mine today, still have a few tweaks to do but has been a very enjoyable heli to build.

I just can't remember if I 90'ed my servo at zero pitch or not
matt-snitters is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #419 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew the heck out of mine now that I've got the SK720 Governor dialed in and have overcome the mystery of the cracked 14T pinion.

I've upped to 15T pinion and now that it's well governed I'm really enjoying it.

Yesterday was magic 5 flights on the Mini P, 5 on the Protos, 4 on the fusion and 4 on the 130x.

Now if I can get the tail wag out of the Protos 500 I'll be a happy camper.

The Mini P really came into it's own yesterday.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #420 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Switched over to 8fg from dx7s. I think I already like it more, just getting used to different TH placement. "You must unlearn what you have learned" moments. Also fixed my tail kick on pitch pumps on the ikon. Just had to lube the tail shaft and redo step 8 in the setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in