Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Prog Disc Vs Bluetooth Module

I want to set various settings in my new Kosmik 160. Please can somebody tell me if the Bluetooth module provides access to all the features/parameters that the Prog Disc provides access to.

Particulally:
1) Soft/Harf Cut-off
2) Low Cut-off Voltage
3) Auto Bailout

Thanks.
GaryDT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there

I am using the BT Module. The first two are definately covered by the BT modul. I am not sure about the 3rd one though.

The only thing I can tell you is, that you need a Prog Disc to update the Kosmik to V 4.x (Dont know the exact Firmware version) before you can actually use the BT Module. After that u can set almost everything with the BT Module.

Cheers
Dave
Swizzer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Swizzer,

I don't know how many people are aware yet, but Kontronik have stopped producing the Prog Disc and have a replacement system coming out August/September. They told me this in reply to an email I sent to them asking for help. They advised that the Bluetooth Module was still available. I emailed them this morning asking about the features of the Bluetooth Module and I'm waiting for a reply. They haven't said anything about the Firmware version though. I bought my Kosmik new about 2 months ago, which I did state in the email I sent to them, perhaps this means it has a late enough addition of the firmware for it to work, but I simply don't know. I am aware of the firmware requirement from your post and I can confirm I've read various people stating the same thing.

Is there any way I could find out the Firmware version other than to use a Prog Disc, and could somebody have a guess at how likely my firmware version will be sufficient based on the fact that I bought it new about 2 months ago.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bail out will is already enabled in Mode 4. You just need to set your Hold % accordingly to 25%.
AR will spool up as fast as possible without mechanical overloading (their words) so AR spool time is self adjusting.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The bailout is already programmed into the Kosmik's firmware. There's no option to "program it out" or change it around if you are in Mode 4 Heli mode. You simply set TH to 25% as Gimp said and you're good to go. The bailout function works if you disengage TH within like 25 seconds of a botched auto or something like that. After that amount of time the Kosmik will go back into soft start mode. So as long as you're not doing autos from the stratosphere you'll be ok.

The newest firmware is version 4.4. I don't know if the BT module will allow you to check which version you have. Luckly, Aug/Sept is right around the corner. Hopefully Kontronik won't drag their feet on this and finally release a USB programmable interface like Castle.

I plan on buying my Cool 200HV in the next few months so i'll be watching for that.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To add, if you do use AR you will have to set a flight mode to have a 0% point to initialize the ESC. I set ID3 as a 0% flat line to do this and also to cancel AR recovery after I have touched down before re-spooling, unless the 25 seconds times out.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
To add, if you do use AR you will have to set a flight mode to have a 0% point to initialize the ESC. I set ID3 as a 0% flat line to do this and also to cancel AR recovery after I have touched down before re-spooling, unless the 25 seconds times out.
Do you use Spektrum? A neat trick I saw is using a Throttle Cut value of 0. That way you can have 3 usable flight modes. You just hit TC button one time to initialize the ESC. I wish I had my Tx right now to try it.

Not sure if it will work while TH is engaged.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent information everyone. Thank you.

I use a Spectrum DX9 and haven't considered using the TC button before.

I usually have normal mode throttle set to something like 0, 30, 60, 60, 60 and then all stunt modes as flat lines typically ST1 50, ST2 80 and rarely use ST3 so just set this to 80 as well.

Question: (a strange one but it's got me wondering): With TH set to 25%, I realise that from my throttle settings above I'd need to be in normal mode with the throttle stick fully down and the TH switch disengaged for the ESC to see zero and arm. Now if I was to engage TH whilst spooling up in normal mode, before the rpm levelled out and the governor function kicked in, would then the 25% produce zero rpm like when actively in auto bailout mode, or would it simply count as 25% within the range of my normal throttle curve. I very much guess the latter, but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: I've bought a Bluetooth Module and it works fine. My firmware version is 4.4 which I got from the last two numbers on the label on my esc, and I also confirmed it from the files stored on the Micro SD card.

Last edited by GaryDT; 07-30-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Do you use Spektrum? A neat trick I saw is using a Throttle Cut value of 0. That way you can have 3 usable flight modes. You just hit TC button one time to initialize the ESC. I wish I had my Tx right now to try it.

Not sure if it will work while TH is engaged.

I fly Futaba but do have a Throttle Cut available.
I already have 3 flight modes and really don't need the fourth.
It is a good option though.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDT View Post
Excellent information everyone. Thank you.

I use a Spectrum DX9 and haven't considered using the TC button before.

I usually have normal mode throttle set to something like 0, 30, 60, 60, 60 and then all stunt modes as flat lines typically ST1 50, ST2 80 and rarely use ST3 so just set this to 80 as well.

Question: (a strange one but it's got me wondering): With TH set to 25%, I realise that from my throttle settings above I'd need to be in normal mode with the throttle stick fully down and the TH switch disengaged for the ESC to see zero and arm. Now if I was to engage TH whilst spooling up in normal mode, before the rpm levelled out and the governor function kicked in, would then the 25% produce zero rpm like when actively in auto bailout mode, or would it simply count as 25% within the range of my normal throttle curve. I very much guess the latter, but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: I've bought a Bluetooth Module and it works fine. My firmware version is 4.4 which I got from the last two numbers on the label on my esc, and I also confirmed it from the files stored on the Micro SD card.

Gary, V4.4 is the latest rev., I believe.

So...you didn't have to upgrade the firmware in your new Kos 160?

I purchased a new Kos 200HV in ~Nov. 2013, and it had V4.2.

Found the upgrade procedure directions vague, at best, so I developed a "cook-book " procedure that is now "stickied" above....to alleviate such upgrade frustrations.

When using the ProgDisc...it must have V1.9 firmware, first...then it can be used to upgrade Kos 4.2 to 4.3.

During the development of my procedure, the V4.4 was released.

Fortunately, the procedure works for Kos 160/200HVs and V4.3 can be skipped, so one can go directly to V4.4 from V4.2.

What will be the new procedure...for upgrading the Kos 160/200s...without using the ProgDisc, as it's being dis-continued?

Is that in the BT module?

I volunteer to develop a BT procedure upgade procedure....

FWIW
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Kosmik 160 already had V4.4 installed, no doubt because I bought it from new only about two months ago, so I had no problems.

The new system from what I've read will be an interface lead to your PC. So hopefully nice and simple like CC, and I'd expect you'll be able to set everything the Prog Disc can do, including updating the Firmware.

I haven't played around with the Bluetooth Module yet to know if it's capable of updating the Firmware. Perhaps one of the other kind gentlemen chiming in might know.

Thanks again everybody
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDT View Post
My Kosmik 160 already had V4.4 installed, no doubt because I bought it from new only about two months ago, so I had no problems.

The new system from what I've read will be an interface lead to your PC. So hopefully nice and simple like CC, and I'd expect you'll be able to set everything the Prog Disc can do, including updating the Firmware.

I haven't played around with the Bluetooth Module yet to know if it's capable of updating the Firmware. Perhaps one of the other kind gentlemen chiming in might know.

Thanks again everybody
There is no firmware update support over bluetooth it is just too risky as bluetooth is not a very reliable protocol.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teAfr1can View Post
There is no firmware update support over bluetooth it is just too risky as bluetooth is not a very reliable protocol.
Richard, if one has the ProgDisc....with its latest F/W rev........will it still be compatible with future Kos F/W upgrades?

Or, said another way, without a ProgDisc, what will be the F/W upgrade method in the future....given that bluetooth is not reliable enough?

Thanks
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEngineer View Post
Richard, if one has the ProgDisc....with its latest F/W rev........will it still be compatible with future Kos F/W upgrades?

Or, said another way, without a ProgDisc, what will be the F/W upgrade method in the future....given that bluetooth is not reliable enough?

Thanks
The Prog Disc will still be supported for future upgrades the new module which will be a usb device to do programming with as well as firmware updating from the PC will slowly take its place. It will be a cheaper device also.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So no more hand held 'field' programmer?
Why not something simple like a V-Bar control panel with PC hookup as well?
While I am no fan of ProgDisk UI I hope mine doesn't go poop as it's convenient to take along.
My PC doesn't fit so good in my field bag.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
So no more hand held 'field' programmer?
Why not something simple like a V-Bar control panel with PC hookup as well?
While I am no fan of ProgDisk UI I hope mine doesn't go poop as it's convenient to take along.
My PC doesn't fit so good in my field bag.
I'm not 100% sure there aren't many details out yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in