Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Programming helicopter with Kosmik without killing myself?

This is probably a stupid question with an easy answer but up till now I have programmed my Kosmiks, since switching over, on helicopters that already where set for pitch,cyclic and collective.

I am statring a new helicopter soon, So here is my question, since the Kosmik will not initiate without the Motor plugged in, how do you do you pitch angle set up without the head spinning in all your flight modes?

I usually do all my set up with the motor unplugged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
This is probably a stupid question with an easy answer but up till now I have programmed my Kosmiks, since switching over, on helicopters that already where set for pitch,cyclic and collective.

I am statring a new helicopter soon, So here is my question, since the Kosmik will not initiate without the Motor plugged in, how do you do you pitch angle set up without the head spinning in all your flight modes?

I usually do all my set up with the motor unplugged
Make sure pinion mand main gear is not engade maybe?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BEC should still work without motor leads.

-Don't initialize ESC (no 0%) or leave Master lead disconnected.
-Use an Rx or Buffer pack connected to Rx or FBL.
-Good idea to have pinion from main gear too.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use my buffer pack so I can power up the on-board electronics without having a pack connected to the ESC.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok so basically I just take the Kosmik out of the loop and just power my FBL and Rx by the same token, independantly. Buffer pack it is and I will disconnect my motor as usual, disengaging the gear is too much work and readjustment for me. Thanks

I don't really understand the thinking behind the kosmik not being able to be initialized without the motor connected. What is the point?
Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you pull the motor wires after it initializes?
dcope17 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've taken my share of criticism for this solution, but it works for me, and might work for you. On this picture, you can see the MiniP installed, but you also see the RandomHeli skid clamps for the Goblin. The primary purpose was to avoid tipping the Goblin over, but it turned out to be useful for tuneups.

YMMV. Be careful.

Heli-X, AccuRC, RF 7.5 Transmitter Interface Edition
madeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love those randomheli clamp, they are the best for travel with helis and for storage in the garage. With the new sliding racks they have even better.

But I think I will pass on that one, read your post link and glad you are ok.

I will probably use your idea for bench adjustments with the Kosmik if the needs arises to keep the motor connected. I somehow do not trust fully the Kosmik for not starting anything when the Master and Slave are disconnected and not the motor.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remove the main blades.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
I remove the main blades.
Now with the Soko tool it makes sense but it would be kind of hard to measure pitch without the blades otherwise.

The original idea of the thread is to find a way to do adjustment to my helicopters, which I usually do easily by unplugging the motor but cannot do with the Kosmik since it won't initialize with the motor unplugged.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought this was already covered in another thread regarding the buffer pack?

When using a tool that requires a blade to be attached you can do the following:

1) Just plug a spare pack into the RX/FBL controller to power up the electronics. This is what I do.

2) Find a damaged blade of the correct root thickness and cut it down to length as you only need a few inches for a pitch gauge.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
I thought this was already covered in another thread regarding the buffer pack?
Could be but could not find it doing a search before I asked with a new thread here.

Actually you did answer me earlier in this very same thread. Thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMHO I think the spare pack is the simplest solution. My buffer pack is 450mAh so I keep an old 2s A123 2300mAh pack on hand for bench setup purposes. Just can't kill those A123 cells.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in