Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #341 (permalink)
Registered Users

go into the model select menu and change gyro sense gear/gyro to gear/gear, use the gear channel end points to set the gain.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #342 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maaaate....

You guys are a complete Kack.

I just watched that 2-crashes-in-1-day vid. That 'Vagisil' part nearly made me pee my pants - esp the pic of the 'Lady' flipping the Bird.

Where do you guys live - I so want to go flying with you lot....

LMAO

BJ
BJ64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #343 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahem...*clears throat*...

Now, on a more 'Technical' note...

Can anyone help me setting up my DSX9 to talk to my Blade mSR? (DOH! n00b alert goes spastic).

Yep - total n00b here.

Aaaaanyways... I have no problems flying the mSR with the Tx that's supplied with it, but I can't seem to get it to behave when trying to fly it with the '9.

It binds no probs...and flys - but it's really erratic. I'm running low rate (indoors), and have set A/E/R to 30% Expo and 80% Throw. I think I'm still missing something.

I've heard it mentioned around the traps that there's something special going on with Ch5. Some sort of 'mix' or something. Mate, don't ask me what that means - that DSX9 has sooooo many freakin switches and OMG options in the menus. Did I say menus? There's like a bucket-load of those too. I was flat-out just understanding T is for throttle... A is for Aileron... LoL.

4Ch and Dual Rates is about my level of achievement so far on that Tx.

Any help regarding the mysterious Ch5 for the mSR would be much appreciated...

BJ
BJ64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #344 (permalink)

Thanks a ton I have been confused at my radio why it seems to do nothing nomater what buttons I press. I went to the hobby shop today for advice and the guy just hit the buttons as it started and was going into menus I wasnt used to. He didnt explain anything other than it wasnt set up and itd be 40 an hour?
Now from your video I understand the dx7 menus 10000 times better.
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #345 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed.. I should have thanked you and finless last week for taking your time to do these videos.
blossej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #346 (permalink)

oops
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #347 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Just wanted to thank helifreak, Bob, Jeremo, for all the help. Its the only reason Im still at this hobby..THANKS!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #348 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro Gain

Jeremo/Bob:
First of all, thank you for all of your wonderful work. Impossible to set up without it.

I have a DX7/AR6100/AlignGP750. I have watched all pertinent vids. I am confused about setting gyro gain. At first I thought I could set it either with end points or in gyro sens.But if I leave gear end points at 100% and set gyro sens P-0 at 72% and P-1 at 45% it will not go into rate mode in P-1. So I'm guessing I need to first set the end point percentages, even though I am setting the gyro remote gain setup in gyro sens ? If this is right, how do I set the positive and negative gear channel end points..is it based on the formula (divide by 1.44) ? If I do that in end points, do I also need to do the formula (% shown less 50% x 1.44) ?? This is just not clear to me after several viewings of the vids. In summary, what is the relationship of the percentage settings in "Travel Adjust" menu to those percentages in "Gyro Sens" ?
Houfek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #349 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

If your going to use the gyro menu make sure before turning on the gyro menu that you left the gear channel end points at 100/100. Once gyro menu is on you will notce you now cant change gear channel end points they ar ---/---. Now you can get in a condition where if you adjusted the gear channel end points to something other than 100/100 and then later turned on the gyro menu, the gyro menu numbers will now be off. Turning on the gyro menu may not automatically put the gear channel back to 100/100!

OK so now in the gyro menu by default I think it is set to the rudder dual rate switch NOT the idle up switch. Thus it is that switch that will switch between P0 and P1. I am going by memory here though could be wrong.... Most people set the gyro to AUTO which means it will be tied to the idle up switch. You should see a little arrow next to P0 and when you flip the switch you should clearly see the arrow move to P1. If you don't your not moving the correct switch.

Finally 45 is pretty close to 50 so maybe the gyro is not seeing the transition due to channel drift. Try 30 and see if it switches to rate mode (red LED on the 750).

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #350 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks, Bob...
I had thought that by plugging the gyro gain wire into the gear channel on the RX would mean that the gear switch (P-0 and P-1) would control the gyro gain. If I understand you correctly, the gear switch has no effect on the settings in the gyro menu for P-0 and P-1, but rather the idle up switch controls those two positions (if I have the TX gyro menu set to auto). That would explain why when I flipped the gear switch, the gyro didn't go into rate mode. So using the gear channel for the gyro does not activate the gear switch to do anything, it only gets the signal into the RX and "activates" the gyro menu on the TX ??
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #351 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I forget on the DX7 what switch can be assigned to the gyro menu. Up at the top of the gyro menu as I recall you can change it from auto to another switch? I know you can on the X9303. All I can say if it is auto then it is tied to the idle up switch. I dont have a DX7 anymore so cant go look.

Bob
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #352 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok....let me get home and play with this info this weekend and see if I can get it to work right.
Thank you again, Bob, for all that you have done for us "helifreaks"......

Jim
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #353 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok...before I do this, let me outline what I am understanding the process to be:

~ Gear set to Gyro
~ Travel Adjust for Gear at 100% + and -
~ In Gyro Sens set for "auto", set P-0 around 72%, set P-1 around 35%, and leave Normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2 at P-0

Now, when I switch the Idle-Up switch to P-0 I should be in HH Mode and see a green light on the Align 750, and when I flip the Idle-Up switch to P-1 I should be in Rate Mode and see a red light on the 750.

Do I have that right ?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #354 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No because you told the gyro menu to use P-O for all idle up switch positions. If you change normal to be P0 and say idle 1 to P-1 then when you switch to idle 1 from normal it will change to rate mode. Again looking at the gyro menu when you switch there should be a little arrow to the left of P-0 and P-1 and when you flip the switch the arrow should move. This lets you know which gain setting is activated.

Also be sure to power up in HH mode! If you don't nothing will work right.

Bob
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #355 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok....I'll give it a try and let you know.
Have a great weekend, Bob....

Jim
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #356 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, after setting the gear switch to "gyro", I cannot get the arrow (in the gyro sens mode) to go from P-0 to P-1. I have toggled both the switch marked "gear" (which on the DX7 is supposed to become the "flight mode" switch in heli mode), and the switch marked "flap mix" that is supposed to become the "gear" switch in heli mode. I can set the percentage values on P-0 and P-1, but no matter which switch I toggle, the active percentage (P-0 or P-1) stays at P-0. This is while I am in "auto" setting. When I switch to "rudder", the whole process works fine....that is, I can set P-0 and P-1 to correspond to the two positions on the "rudder" switch (which is now the "throttle hold" switch in heli mode), so I am just going to go with that. When the throttle hold is on, I will be in rate mode, and when the throttle hold switch is off, I will be in HH mode. Obviously I give up the ability to engage rate mode in flight, but don't think I would use that much anyway, and I now have a simple way to go into rate mode to set up the Align 750. I also realize that I could set "gear" to "gear" instead of "gyro" and forgo the gyro sens menu all together, but I'm going to go with what I have for now. Not sure why I cannot get it to work as it should......am guessing maybe the TX is not functioning correctly. Anyway, my understanding of the process is now much improved, and a satisfactory solution is at hand.

Again, many thanks for all your help, Bob....

Jim
Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #357 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

That is not a heli radio version it is an airplane radio version!... If you want it to be heli you have to open the back and move the switches.

Bob
Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #358 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't realize that there were two different radios !! I thought if you set up the model as a heli in setup that was all that was necessary to have it operate in heli mode !! No wonder it isn't responding as you thought it would !!
Oh, well.....live and learn !!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #359 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, I understand the menus and oddities of the DX7 pretty well... But this one has me stumped.

Gyro Sense Menu:

The gyro rate can only be set between 0% and 100% - - It is understood the difference between normal and HH as being:

Normal Mode: Value set between 0% and 50%

HH Mode: Value set between 50% and 100%

Applying the 'calculation' consisting of (gyro rate - 50) x 1.44 = True Gyro Rate is clear to me as well... HOWEVER, going from one extreme to another, I can only figure on getting 72% True Gyro Rate out of my DX7????

For example:

For HH Mode: (100% - 50) x 1.44 = 72%

For Normal Mode: (0% - 50) x 1.44 = -72%

Am, I missing something here or is there a more normalized value to use for the DX7 like:

(gyro rate - 50) x 2 = True Rate <<<<----- This assuming the resolution values on the GY401 are between -100 and 100?

But then I got to thinking what if the resolution values on the gyro were between -130 and 130 or -150 and 150

I'm lost it appears.
thnksno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #360 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Ahhhhh.... man... finally someone that has tried it! OK so the math works in the "reasonable" gain range that most anyone would set up! But it is not linear! Thus you see what your seeing

Why you would ever want 72% gain is beyond reason but it is about time someone noticed

OK so how to fix that if you REALLY want to? Jack up the end travel for GEAR to 150/150.... enjoy.... NO ONE would ever use that though and it jacks up the math in the area of where everyone uses gain settings.

Congrats on finding the hole

Bob

Tags
dx7, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in