Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gasser all ready for break in !

NGH 35cc gasser engine. Just need to mount it to a test stand and start breaking in!! need to buy a gas pump so I can get fuel into the tank..ROFL..
Jer

Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will that thing fit in the Pantera frame ?
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfauske View Post
Will that thing fit in the Pantera frame ?
It's a plank motor even if you can fit it it's not suitable for a helicopter. It would need a bigger cooling head for that.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, it will fit in the Pantera. *requires BBC

No it's not a "plank motor", it's a gas engine.

It requires more cooling when installed into a helicopter mostly because it's a gas engine which generates more heat and there's limited cooling on a helicopter that's moving forward.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -

Last edited by Jermo; 12-16-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's will it fit and will it work. Yes, it might be possible to fit it, but after that all bets are off.

The engine we've been playing with is the 17cc version, instead. That one uses a BBC conversion, (components of the NitroExpress). Meanwhile, we've got drawings of the head and it's looking more and more like we'll have to machine a custom cooling head if we're to make it work. However, other projects have taken precedence so it's on the back burner right now. I also have an OS baby gasser, the 15GT engine on hand to try as well.

Anyway, with respect to the 35cc engine Jer has, it's a pretty decent engine with an obviously inspired by nitro engine, layout. They're available from us for a little over 200 bucks, which is quite a reasonable entry into the world of gassers, don't you think?

Cheers,
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like it. It came with an extra piston so I could move the exhaust to the rear instead of the side. I'll be breaking it in this weekend; weather permitting.
I was thinking around modifying the fan shroud and maybe adding an electric cooling fan. I've added thermocouples to my list and something to record. Another thought was to run a higher oil content for cooling. NGH says 20:1 for break in and iirc 35:1 for normal.

From other research; the gearing correlates to heat as well. It's all about finding the combination of load, gearing, cooling, fuel/oil that works.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Gasser all ready for break in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermo View Post
NGH 35cc gasser engine. Just need to mount it to a test stand and start breaking in!! need to buy a gas pump so I can get fuel into the tank..ROFL..
Jer

Holy cow, that looks huge. How much does it weigh?

As far as power goes, there's no replacement for displacement, so the 35cc should be quite a bit more powerful than the puny OS 15cc motor.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

With ignition module it's 1400g, Engine only is 1280g.

The plan is to get experience with the engine in a plank and get another one for heli after I figure out cooling. I'm debating a few ideas including a generator powering an electric fan or just a fan run directly. I like the electric idea because I can generated enough power to run an electric fan faster than a mechanical would probably run AND I get the benefit of a power bus onboard.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The idea of using this engine has been kicking around in my head as well. I thought maybe with a stretch conversion, Quattro head with 710mm blades, and an electric cooling fan. Gearing it down low enough plus a new clutch assembly because I don't think ours would hold up to a 35cc engine.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

First 15 minutes of break-in are in the bag. Man! this is a powerful motor.

Wear gloves when starting!! The directions state that... for good reason..
Jer
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jermo how is this motor holding up so far in a plank? I'm looking for an inexpensive motor for a giant big stick and don't really like the Dle 30. Also how is the nose coming out of it? We have a strict 96db at 20ft sound rule at my club and not having to purchase a aftermarket muffler is a plus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
richmurphy83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm up for a new contract so waiting for that to finish the build. Only have 15min breakin on the motor so far. So far it's strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in