Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default to the super cub bunch

I am really itching to get one bad. Looks real cool, and I hear it's a good trainer.
I have a Champ now, but it's suddenly winter in N.E Ohio and the winds are a little much.
I've seen videos saying to Not to use the ACT feature, 'cause it'll cause the plane to crash. There is a sensor on the bottom that (sees) light, and if you fly over light colored earth, it'll nose dive. Couldn't you use, say, black electric tape.
Just curious if anyone has done something like this?
Winter being here, the ground will be about as bright as the sky, and I would like to use the anti crash technology until I become more comfortable with flying.
Thanks for your input.
Johnwhipple is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can fly a heli and the champ you should have no problem with the super cub. Landings are the trickiest part.
tbullard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default I've been on the Sim

Quite a bit, landings are OK, take off's OK, it's the turning I've got the most problems with.
In used to helis turning on dime, as you know planes don't. I either pitch up or down, then it gets ugly from there, no crashes, just sloppy. I was hoping the the ACT could help me in that aspect. As with anything, it'll come in time, just trying to speed things up a bit.
Thanks for that vote of confidence
Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your wanting something to help you out you might take a look at the eagle tree guardian. It is a airplane gyro that has a self level mode similar to a bailout switch on a heli gyro. Can be had from HK for $65.
tbullard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default hmm

I checked that out, I may end up with one of those. Thank you, I didn't know anything about them.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A Cub is not a turn on a dime plane, it is also not a trainer plane. They aren't difficult to fly as long as you know their quirks. The rudder is key. Taking off requires rudder usage, usually some left rudder or it will go all squirelly to the right. They fly decent but are not aerobatic planes and can reveal that in certain situations. Turns are gentle or you get to recover from the snap. Land with a hair of speed or depending on actual size or version it can fall out and land hard. I have a 40 size with a Saito 65 4 stroke that flies well, I have also flown a few different 1/4 scale Cubs and they all fly similar.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you mean the Hobbyzone Super Cub with the ACT installed..... It's a great Trainer plane and is marketed as so.

You don't need a runway ... just hand launch.

Yes you can disconnect the ACT sensors and just fly it as normal.

It has no ailerons but you can modify the cub to have once you have cracked basic flying principles.

It will loop but that's about it ..... I put mine up real high and stir about the sticks and it goes nuts ! .. so long as you have enough height you just centre the sticks and it will self recover.

The Aileron mod is worth doing as is the brushless mod. You can also shorten and flatten the wing but you then need to add a carbon rod to give it a bit more strength for the rolls n loops. With the brushless mod done you will be able to hang on the prop.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: to the super cub bunch

No need for gyro with SC. The dihedral wing will level it unless you gave stalled it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in